Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

5th-gen LS spied on the road

Old 05-24-12, 11:38 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Yeah that's how I look at it, I think I look at the general shape and power train.

Like the 2GS -> 3GS, everything is completely different. But 3GS -> 4GS, the car got the same general shape, carry over drivetrain........etc. To me the 4GS just got new bumpers, interior and suspension, that is a major facelift to me.

Same as E9X -> F3X, same general shape, carry over drivetrain..........
The 3rd Gen GS inherited the carry over 3UZ-FE and trans from the Gen 2.5 mid cycle GS update. I feel that was the biggest mistake that Lexus made with the 3rd gen GS. The V8 variant of 3rd Gen GS could have been a hit if the 1UR-FSE 4.6 was chosen early on.
Old 05-24-12, 12:20 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
The 3rd Gen GS inherited the carry over 3UZ-FE and trans from the Gen 2.5 mid cycle GS update.
While the 3UZ-FE was carry over, the Gen 2.5 GS430 had a 5AT where the 3GS430 got a 6AT.

I feel that was the biggest mistake that Lexus made with the 3rd gen GS. The V8 variant of 3rd Gen GS could have been a hit if the 1UR-FSE 4.6 was chosen early on.
For sure. I can understand that maybe the 1UR-FSE wasn't ready when the 3GS came out in 06', 1UR-FSE was in the LS in 07', so they just carry over the 3UZ-FE for one year. The biggest mistake is definitely for holding back the GS460 with just the 340 hp 1UR-FE, somehow for some reasons that we would never know, Lexus don't want the GS to have the 1UR-FSE.

Last edited by BNR34; 05-24-12 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-24-12, 12:25 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
uh, while engines / transmissions are similar/same, the 4GS is ENTIRELY different otherwise from the 3GS, so i can't see how you can see it as a major facelift, but of course you're entitled to that view!
It is much more evolutionary then revolutionary to me.

But I could be wrong, since I am not into the 4GS at all, so I haven't look that indepth into that car. I am not even interested in driving one.
Old 05-24-12, 12:29 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Don't forget no foglights on the GS F Sport.
I don't care about that since is not a big deal, anyone who truely want fogs can just add the JDM fogs themselve, cheap and easy fix.

Is not so easy and cheap to swap in a 5.0L V8 with 8AT
Old 05-24-12, 01:17 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully the new LS will have the new gen powertrain and it will pass onto lower models. It will need to be a 5 sec to 60 to be acceptable! If they carryover the engine and trans just like the ES and GS, it will be a huge disapointment, not likely though.
Old 05-24-12, 01:32 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Hopefully the new LS will have the new gen powertrain and it will pass onto lower models. It will need to be a 5 sec to 60 to be acceptable! If they carryover the engine and trans just like the ES and GS, it will be a huge disapointment, not likely though.
Is hard to say, with the ES and GS being carry over, I won't be surprise if they carry over the LS as well. Especially now that the rumor on the street according to Henry is it will be a major facelift instead of a redesign.

But then it is the flagship, if they have a new powertrain, it would be introduce on the flagship.

Really all it need is the IS-F's 5.0L in a LS500 to match the S550 and 750Li. The hardwares already exist, just have to stop holding back like Honda and do it.
Old 05-24-12, 01:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

While the 3UZ-FE was carry over, the Gen 2.5 GS430 had a 5AT where the 3GS430 got a 6AT.

For sure. I can understand that maybe the 1UR-FSE wasn't ready when the 3GS came out in 06', 1UR-FSE was in the LS in 07', so they just carry over the 3UZ-FE for one year. The biggest mistake is definitely for holding back the GS460 with just the 340 hp 1UR-FE, somehow for some reasons that we would never know, Lexus don't want the GS to have the 1UR-FSE.
the 350 was very ready, japan got gs350 right from the start

for the ls, we will see what it's like. but from 3gs to 4gs, i think it's silly to think it's just a face lift, when chassis, suspensions, interior, and pretty much everything changed except the tranny and engine
Old 05-24-12, 02:37 PM
Xwakeboard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really, 6 going on 7 years now and still no redesign huh......then I guess the up coming new S-Class also looks like will be just a major facelift.

I feel though this is happening across most brands, the 4GS is more like a major facelift, same as the BMW F30........etc.
I don't know what would give you the impression that it will not be a completely new design. With the new spindle grill, the new navigation/infotainment interface, and a six year product life cycle, all the signs are pointing towards a completely new model, however, in the life cycle of the products, shouldn't the IS be receiving its complete makeover first?

Some member claimed his dealer (isn't it always a reliable dealer who knows?) that claimed a date of October of 2013, however, this car looks as though it could be more than ready to place on sale in October of this year. Wouldn't that detract from the new ES that is suppose to launch in August?
Old 05-24-12, 02:39 PM
Xwakeboard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

for the ls, we will see what it's like. but from 3gs to 4gs, i think it's silly to think it's just a face lift, when chassis, suspensions, interior, and pretty much everything changed except the tranny and engine
Agreed. There is no way to look at the "new GS" as anything other than the 5th generation. Sure, the engine was carried over, however, it is an entirely new car.
Old 05-24-12, 03:55 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

We were talking about the 4.6L V8 (1UR-FSE)

I didn't know the chassis is new. If the chassis is new, then is definitely a redesign. Again I guess is because the 4GS don't excite or attract me, I am not looking too into the car, it just got the same shape to me............to me, if it look the same, same drivetrain, is the same car. But I could be totally wrong. I'll shut up now, I shouldn't talk about stuff I don't know about.
Old 05-24-12, 04:01 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Xwakeboard
I don't know what would give you the impression that it will not be a completely new design. With the new spindle grill, the new navigation/infotainment interface, and a six year product life cycle, all the signs are pointing towards a completely new model, however, in the life cycle of the products, shouldn't the IS be receiving its complete makeover first?
I agreed with you 100%, I always thought the LS is ready for a complete redesign.

I got the major facelift impression from rominl's comment below:

you guys know that the LS is getting another major facelift, not a redesign right? at least that's what i have been told by multiple sources
Old 05-24-12, 04:09 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Here's more:

Old 05-24-12, 08:24 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

It is much more evolutionary then revolutionary to me.

But I could be wrong, since I am not into the 4GS at all, so I haven't look that indepth into that car. I am not even interested in driving one.
You make all these claims about the 4GS being evolutionary, being just a face-lift then say that you haven't done much research into the 4GS and haven't even test-driven it?

ANY person who's driven both the 3GS and the 4GS can tell you they're not even remotely similar in ride and handling. The 4GS is effectively the best driving mainstream sports sedan in the market right now (not counting M3/M5/RS4/RS6/ISF).

With the 4GS, Lexus has undergone a quiet revolution in suspension and handling and you've missed it completely even as it's happening right under your nose.

Putting a new powerplant in the engine compartment is easy. Shaking up the market with a chassis that redefines handling/suspension is the hard part. Guess which option Lexus chose?

Just my opinion.......

Last edited by natnut; 05-24-12 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-24-12, 10:05 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I will give a lot of credit to Lexus for making the driving dynamic of the 4th Gen GS wayyyyyy better than 3rd Gen, but I agree it still needs a bump in HP. Even a 10-15 hp bump would make a significant difference. 4th Gen GS has a lot of potential, but Lexus played it safe. I can see why they're doing it from a long term lifecycle standpoint, but I don't think that's good enough to stay ahead of the competition. It should be a 100% effort, not 75%.

This next LS has some potential to make noise even if it's not a a full 100% changeover. The right amount of HP can make a huge difference. As far as driving and handling dymamic, there is no doubt in my mind it will be much better. Look at 2nd Gen IS starting 2011 MY and on (specifically F Sport and IS F)...the changes are minute on paper but the changes are pretty significant in person.
Old 05-24-12, 10:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I work a couple of miles from the AZ summer test track. I recently caught the next gen ES on the road as well as the new Ford Fusion ( ES was a bit more exciting since there were no good pics on the net like the Fusion). I have my camera in the car. I will be ready even if I have to do a little chasing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5th-gen LS spied on the road