Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac Escalade to get new lease on life in 2014

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-12, 10:03 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Cadillac Escalade to get new lease on life in 2014

Cadillac Escalade to get new lease on life in 2014

Known for unmitigated excess to some, the Cadillac Escalade embodies over-the-top transportation for oil barons and high-rolling hip-hop stars. The Detroit Bureau quotes an unknown senior Cadillac official saying, "We were finding that for everyone turned on by that image there were four (potential luxury buyers) who were [turned off]." Add in national gas prices flirting with $5 a gallon, and the Escalade seemed destined to join the flamboyant fins of the 1959 Eldorado.

But The Detroit Bureau says GM saw too much profit in the tanker-sized truck and plans to refresh it in early 2014 as a 2015 model. The Bureau predicts the SUV will continue to be body-on-frame with the new 2013 Chevrolet pickup underpinnings holding it all together. It's probably safe to assume the luxury will be upsized, the engine uptuned and the price upjacked.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/23/c...-life-in-2014/
Old 05-23-12, 10:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

"We were finding that for everyone turned on by that image there were four (potential luxury buyers) who were [turned off]."

Well, never mind the other four.

Old 05-23-12, 10:16 AM
Hoovey689

Considering the new GL450/550 has already bowed, Cadillac has an opportunity here. The same can be said of the Navigator which will likely be powered by a 3.5L V6 EcoBoost and/or optional 6.2L V8
Old 05-23-12, 10:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Considering the new GL450/550 has already bowed, Cadillac has an opportunity here. The same can be said of the Navigator which will likely be powered by a 3.5L V6 EcoBoost and/or optional 6.2L V8
It will be interesting to see if the next-generation Escalade and Navagator keep their names or join the Cadillac/Lincoln alphabet-soup.
Old 05-23-12, 03:54 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It will be interesting to see if the next-generation Escalade and Navagator keep their names or join the Cadillac/Lincoln alphabet-soup.
that's a good observation. Lincoln is more likely to do it than Cadillac though. The Escalade has always upstaged the Navigator (though I prefer the latter) in popularity
Old 05-23-12, 09:19 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not that i'd ever buy one. But I still like the escalade. Interior may not be the best, but I do like the styling and throaty sound of the exhaust.
Old 05-23-12, 11:25 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

The extended luxury SUV market is still left to Cadillac to eat up.

There is a reason why the Cadillac Escalade is the SUV limo of choice (because it is the only choice).
Old 05-24-12, 03:45 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

The Escalade and plenty of other high priced Luxury vehicles all suffer then same fate, people buying them are buying them for the image not really realizing what they cost in the long run
Old 05-24-12, 05:14 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As long as there's a Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban, there will be an Escalade.
Old 05-24-12, 05:54 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Non-rapstars and gangstas can save over $15K by purchasing the GMC Yukon Denali. Identical specs, very similar features.

Escalade Premium:

Yukon Denali:

If your image doesn't require a couple of gold teeth, furs, and a big hat, you can save a considerable amount of money - and get a lot of theft insurance by buying the Denali. Now that you have the "stealth Ex", the difference can go for the up-armor package.
Old 05-24-12, 06:43 AM
nikko2jzge
Driver

Taking the shift lever off the steering column would improve the interior by 30%.
Old 05-24-12, 09:48 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL... How come you have to be a gangsta or rapper to drive a cadillac. While in New York for work alot of the drivers picked us up in Escalades. In my neighbourhood alot of the soccer moms drive them as well. Sadly, my girl wants one... so unless another SUV can "WOW" her, looks like im a going to be a gangsta.
Hopefully, fuel economy will be something they focus on.
Old 05-24-12, 10:08 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by xsh0tya
LOL... How come you have to be a gangsta or rapper to drive a cadillac. While in New York for work alot of the drivers picked us up in Escalades. In my neighbourhood alot of the soccer moms drive them as well. Sadly, my girl wants one... so unless another SUV can "WOW" her, looks like im a going to be a gangsta.
Hopefully, fuel economy will be something they focus on.
+1. I see plenty of soccer moms driving the Escalade--not as many as the MDX, but it's definitely up there.
Old 05-24-12, 06:18 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tex2670
+1. I see plenty of soccer moms driving the Escalade--not as many as the MDX, but it's definitely up there.
Yep! Here in NYC I see alot of little ladies driving them around. And not the regular one either, the extended surburban sized one, esv i think it is?
Old 05-24-12, 08:50 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rkyat
Yep! Here in NYC I see alot of little ladies driving them around. And not the regular one either, the extended surburban sized one, esv i think it is?
Exactly! Unfortunately some tired stereotypes never die. Escalades are driven and owned by a wide array of individuals of all demographics. Just as a majority of rappers don't wear gold teeth or even drive SUVs. Over the past decade or so majority of Escalades that I've seen have indeed been corporate limos shuttling along midtown Manhattan or parked in front of private schools on the Upper East Side and such. Highly popular among corporate gansters who favor suits by Corneliani.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It will be interesting to see if the next-generation Escalade and Navigator keep their names or join the Cadillac/Lincoln alphabet-soup.
Great point...And I pray that won't be the case for either of them, particularly Caddy.

Originally Posted by G Star
The extended luxury SUV market is still left to Cadillac to eat up. There is a reason why the Cadillac Escalade is the SUV limo of choice (because it is the only choice).
So True!! The only trucks that are close are the Mercedes Benz GL Class, or Infiniti's QX as far as size, cargo capability and seating but even that comes up relatively short. Perhaps if Range Rover were to ever extend the wheelbase and offer a true 3rd row and not jump seats. But even then it would still come up short also. Cadillac definitely cornered the market on that while Lincoln pretty much fell off of the map with the Navigator. But perhaps with their recent turn around the Navigator is due for a resurrection and new grille

Quick Reply: Cadillac Escalade to get new lease on life in 2014