Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Lexus IS to Sharpen Sporty Focus, Take Inspiration from LFA

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-12, 09:17 AM
St00k
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2014 Lexus IS to Sharpen Sporty Focus, Take Inspiration from LFA

Set to arrive next year, the third-generation IS sports sedan from Lexus will move further into the sporty realm to help it better compete with the segment leading BMW 3 Series.

“I have driven an early prototype and it’s amazing,” said Ketan Renade, Lexus product planner for the ES and LS sedans.

“On the IS we realized it needs to be more focused,” he continued, pointing out a unique advantage Lexus has in this area. While rivals have carefully balanced the hard-edge performance wants with luxury ride quality, “The IS doesn’t have to play a comfort role for us,” he continued. Instead, Lexus offers the ES350 (as well as the new ES300h) to suit that demand.

When pressed about how far Lexus will push the performance envelope on the next-generation IS Renade would only say that a sport model will be offered, “maybe an F Sport”. He stopped short of confirming an next-generation IS-F, though it does without saying that such a car is necessary to keep Lexus relevant in the segment.

As for how it will look, expect to see a more engaging design, as we’ve seen Lexus considerably beef up its aesthetics as of late with new products like the GS and now the ES too. The brand’s large spindle grille design is certain to dominate the front of the car.

Speaking with other product planners over dinner at a launch event for the 2013 ES, they were surprised by the new Cadillac ATS, describing the styling as “conservative”, a strong hint that Lexus will go a more dramatic route. In fact, product planner Ben Mitchell confirmed that the dash of the 2014 IS will take inspiration from the brand’s LFA supercar.
Read the full story at AutoGuide.com
Old 05-23-12, 09:36 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perect news...the IS remain a true sporty small sedan and the ES be a boat on the road for the elders.
Old 05-23-12, 09:49 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally think the current IS is a pretty good mix of sport with some luxury thrown in. I hope they don't go too far off base.

The driving dynamics and engines could be refined, similar to the new GS, but I don't want them deviating too far from the current formula...just my opinion.
Old 05-23-12, 09:51 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't read the article but it's pretty funny they are talking to a product guy for ES and LS about how sporty a car should be. Might as well ask a fat guy for fitness tips....yeah getting up from a couch, oh yeah it's a good work out felt that burn there.
Old 05-23-12, 09:53 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Didn't read the article but it's pretty funny they are talking to a product guy for ES and LS about how sporty a car should be. Might as well ask a fat guy for fitness tips....yeah getting up from a couch, oh yeah it's a good work out felt that burn there.
true...but im sure in this segment, you have to poke at whoever you can to get some type of inside scoop. let's just hope the "fat guy" had that type of access to the IS
Old 05-23-12, 10:10 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Funny he said that because the 2IS is definately "softer" than the 1IS...
Old 05-23-12, 10:12 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

2014 Lexus IS to Sharpen Sporty Focus, Take Inspiration from LFA
I really don't think there was ever any doubt..
Old 05-23-12, 10:25 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Funny he said that because the 2IS is definately "softer" than the 1IS...
well 1is was more barebones sure...
Old 05-23-12, 11:01 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

LFA-inspired interior for the new IS, combined with Lexus' new interior design language = class-leading interior

Driver-focused interior please.
Old 05-23-12, 12:01 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Awesome news. I will probably go with next gen IS F sport instead of BRZ.
Old 05-23-12, 12:02 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

More room in the back please! That is all the next IS really needs.
Old 05-23-12, 12:36 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

I'm surprised at all the comments from people who are satisfied with the 2IS' "sportiness". Mine was lowered with sway bars and still didn't handle as good as my '98 328is. Not to mention the uber-fail false paddle shifter system. Looking forward to the much-needed improvements on the 3IS, although I won't be buying one unless by some act of God it offers a turbo.....
Old 05-23-12, 01:14 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Initial B
I'm surprised at all the comments from people who are satisfied with the 2IS' "sportiness". Mine was lowered with sway bars and still didn't handle as good as my '98 328is. Not to mention the uber-fail false paddle shifter system. Looking forward to the much-needed improvements on the 3IS, although I won't be buying one unless by some act of God it offers a turbo.....
I think 2IS is not really sporty. It looks sporty, but it drives like a boat. You can feel the weight when you throw the car around the corner. I don't like the numb steering feel in 2006 model and suspension set up is more for comfort than sportiness.

Last edited by cino; 05-23-12 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-23-12, 03:36 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

cino - I agree, that's exactly what I'm saying...it's no where near sporty enough. I do like the new F-sport seats, but they should come as standard, IMO. Leave the soft bolsterless seats for the ES.
Old 05-23-12, 03:46 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Initial B
1998 328is:
Braking, 60-0 mph: 120ft
Lateral acceleration G: 0.86
Speed through 600-ft slalom: 66.6mph

2008 IS250 with F-sport accessories:
Braking, 60-0 mph: 109ft
Lateral acceleration G: 0.89
Speed through 600-ft slalom: 71.0mph

It's not quite right to say the '98 328is handled better than your IS250, because it didn't. It's not even close, and I don't expect a 10 year old car (relative to the IS) to handle as well, so it's not really a knock on BMW.

What you're probably referring to is the often-cited "BMW feel." The steering probably felt better to you and gave you the illusion of better handling, but make no mistake, the '98 328is can't hold a candle to an F-sport equipped IS250 in the handling department.

Quick Reply: 2014 Lexus IS to Sharpen Sporty Focus, Take Inspiration from LFA