Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes-Benz S-Class ain't no bag lady

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-12, 01:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Mercedes-Benz S-Class ain't no bag lady

Mercedes-Benz S-Class ain't no bag lady

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/merce...photo-5039946/

We've seen weirder camouflage. But despite the fact that this next-generation Mercedes-Benz S-Class prototype looks like it drove through a garbage bag warehouse, we now have a very clear glimpse at some of the new car's details – namely, the shapely new front fascia.

Merc's new flagship takes many of its new design cues from the F700 concept that debuted back in 2007, specifically the larger, more upright grille and the redesigned headlamps that now incorporate LED running lights (just like what we've seen on the new SL and GL models). The big sedan's overall shape doesn't change too much from the car that's currently on sale, though things seem to be a little swoopier for this new generation.

Under the hood, we can expect Mercedes' latest engines to be on tap, including the 4.6-liter twin-turbocharged V8 as well as some V6 options. Naturally, an AMG model will follow suit, likely using the new 5.5-liter twin-turbo V8 in the S63 AMG.

Look for the redesigned S-Class to officially bow later this year.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/22/m...t-no-bag-lady/
Old 05-22-12, 03:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

one of the cars that i am paying close attention on. though i am not sure about that grille
Old 05-22-12, 04:13 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks better than the current one, even with the ugly camo
Old 05-22-12, 06:29 PM
Insomnia
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is not the up coming S.... that is the face lifted 2014 E class.
Old 05-22-12, 07:36 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's gonna be tough to replace the current S Class design. Just like it's almost impossible to out do the R230 SL class design, as the new SL that came out this year just demostrated.
Old 05-22-12, 08:02 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Who decides on the camo for these new cars? Also how do they keep getting "spy" shots or is this a marketing tool? Wouldn't they have indoor tracks? Or at least isolated locations to test on? Maybe Im just too suspicious of these sorts of things. Just odd that multi - billion dollar corporations can't keep their cars away from a camera.
Old 05-22-12, 08:50 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by xsh0tya
Who decides on the camo for these new cars? Also how do they keep getting "spy" shots or is this a marketing tool? Wouldn't they have indoor tracks? Or at least isolated locations to test on? Maybe Im just too suspicious of these sorts of things. Just odd that multi - billion dollar corporations can't keep their cars away from a camera.
Umm not all testing can be done behind closed doors. To do real world testing you need to go out into the real world.
Old 05-22-12, 08:55 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

that cant be an S class, its way too small. I agree with above, looks like an e class, or maybe the new CLS
Old 05-22-12, 10:21 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I expect to see the retro grille on whatever sedan this is, which in my opinion is a mistake. Going backwards makes the car look old-fashioned and not progressive. Mercedes has always set the trend, where other makes have copied. Going the opposite direction is the same thinking that led Ford and GM to the crapper.
Old 05-22-12, 10:22 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RX_330
Umm not all testing can be done behind closed doors. To do real world testing you need to go out into the real world.
The track is the real world? I understand regardless, it just seems like if they were REALLY trying to hide these cars from the public, they would buy land and build a mock city somewhere with restricted access and test cars there with no "spy" shots. If this is such an issue.
Old 05-22-12, 10:29 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 580 Likes on 399 Posts

The track is the real world? I understand regardless, it just seems like if they were REALLY trying to hide these cars from the public, they would buy land and build a mock city somewhere with restricted access and test cars there with no "spy" shots. If this is such an issue.
Spend millions developing a mock city with fake road wear and tear and fake traffic or take the car out with an ugly disguise and save money
Old 05-22-12, 11:50 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All new cars from Europe will have a more upright facia to comply with the pedestrian safety laws over there. I think it's unfortunate styling wise. I'm anxious to see the new S, though I'll probably be keeping my W221 for a long time.
Old 05-23-12, 05:57 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

In half the cases the manufacturers don't mind the spy shots. It creates excitement about the product and gets people talking; like it's doing right now. It reveals enough about it to gauge public opinion without fully revealing.

It's smart advertisement. The track is the real world in a small number of cases (performance conditions), however the external environment is.
Old 05-23-12, 07:28 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Current S class in SWB looks pretty bad, looks like the new one isn't much better in SWB, the older S-class models with boxy design looks alright in SWB ...
Old 05-23-12, 07:45 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Insomnia
That is not the up coming S.... that is the face lifted 2014 E class.
That can't be a face-lifted E-class

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz S-Class ain't no bag lady