Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford C-Max pricing to undercut Toyota Prius V

Old 05-17-12, 01:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Ford C-Max pricing to undercut Toyota Prius V

Ford C-Max pricing to undercut Toyota Prius V

Ford dealers have started taking orders for the 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid, the company announced today.

The gas-electric hybrid will arrive later this year with a starting price of $25,995, undercutting its most direct competitor, the Toyota Prius V hybrid, which has a base price of $26,550.

"C-Max Hybrid offers better fuel economy, performance, technology and functionality than Prius V – and C-Max Hybrid customers will pay less at the dealership and at the pump," said Ken Czubay, vice president, U.S. Marketing, Sales and Service, in a press release.

More importantly, Ford will provide some stiffer competition for Toyota, which has ruled the hybrid market, selling 77 percent of all hybrids in the U.S. this April. The C-Max will only be offered in the U.S. as a hybrid, similar to Toyota's Prius strategy. There will also be an all-electric version, known as the C-Max Energi, that arrives this fall.

Ford sells the C-Max, which is built on Ford's compact car platform, in Europe as a gas powered model. Since introducing this utility vehicle in 2010, Ford has sold more than 150,000 C-Max vehicles in Europe.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/17/f...oyota-prius-v/
Old 05-17-12, 01:11 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Glad to hear it. I think options might easily inflate the C-Max to more than the Prius V. But the Ford will certainly be the drivers car of the two
Old 05-17-12, 01:18 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

that might actually do pretty well - but the fact that this is the first model of the series will be a drawback until it get's a foothold on current and soon to be hybrid owners. I don't think Toyota has anything to worry about...yet.
Old 05-17-12, 01:34 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Pay less at the dealer & at the pump.......what about cost to maintain it. I hope its as reliable as the Prius
Old 05-17-12, 02:41 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

problem is I see $3000 off MSRP for the Prius in the paper every weekend.
Old 05-17-12, 04:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

C-Max also has more powerful engine... i wonder what will the base features be, as Prius v is pretty well equipped, with display audio 6.1" multimedia with backup camera standard, as well as smart entry.
Old 05-18-12, 12:43 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the Ford C-max units for Stateside...........imported from Valenica, Spain?

To be honest, I can't see how the Ford can be priced lower than the Prius V unless there is subsidy.........or they build it locally (i.e. Michigan)
Old 05-18-12, 01:15 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Are the Ford C-max units for Stateside...........imported from Valenica, Spain?

To be honest, I can't see how the Ford can be priced lower than the Prius V unless there is subsidy.........or they build it locally (i.e. Michigan)
"For the North American market, the C-Max Energi and C-Max Hybrid will be assembled alongside the 2012 Focus and Ford Focus Electric at Ford's Wayne plant in Michigan. All European versions will be built in Valencia, Spain."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_C-...plug-in_hybrid
Old 05-19-12, 08:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
Pay less at the dealer & at the pump.......what about cost to maintain it. I hope its as reliable as the Prius
Other smaller Ford hybrids (Fusion, Escape, etc...), according to Consumer Reports, have been at least reasonably reliable, especially the Fusion.

If Ford can undercut (or even equal) the Prius V's pricing, then I agree.....the choice might be a no-brainer. But, of course, the real price on any hybrid is what you will actually pay out the door (some hybrids, of course, get dealer-mark-ups, especially with high gas prices generating demand).

I haven't had a chance to drive the C-Max, but I did get to sit in one and examine it at the D.C. Auto Show last January (it was locked up, and I practically had to bribe the Ford reps there to briefly open it up for me)

I plan to test-drive a C-Max when it is released, and will do a full review/write-up if any interest is shown.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-19-12 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-21-12, 09:01 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it really undercut or is there nothing to go with that base price, I know some cars undercut their competition but adds up quickly with a few options.