Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What if Lexus made a sub RX LUV based off of RAV4?

Old 03-07-13, 11:08 AM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why not an RAV-4 Platform? What else would Lexus use? It is no secret, for example, that the RX comes from the Highlander/Camry platform, the GX from the 4Runner/Prado platform, and the RX from the Land Cruiser.
If Lexus used the RAV4 platform for the little NX, it would be the most economical move to get profits up.

A large chunk of people who buy SUVs have NO need for them and just prefer a tall vehicle that can usually hold more people/luggage than a sedan, but is not a minivan/truck. Honestly, how many people do you think will take their very capable Range Rovers or LX down to the Appalachians for a fun mountain climb?...

To me, the CUV/SUVsegment in America is one of the most emotionally driven segment because it deals with people who are image concious. They wanna look utilitarian, stylish, and drive tall AND take an MPG hit. But they will never use what the vehicle can actually offer. Slap on a luxury badge, and the thing will sell like hot cakes. *cough* Mom, if you're reading this, I'm talking about you.. *cough*

Case in point? RX creating the luxury CUV segment. I predict the baby NX will give booming sales. If the RX sells great, cheapen it and give it a smaller alternative = a recipe for sales success.
Old 03-07-13, 11:38 AM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

Default GoGiantsNJ

Anyone think that Lexus would throw a diesel engine in a new CUV? Audi Q-5,and Mercedes GLK will now have diesel engines available for the North American market. The torque in those engines is impressive,as is the fuel economy. Diesel cost here in South Jersey is not that much more than Premium gas.

Well, here's hoping that some time Lexus will give us diesels in the SUV,CUV segment.
I'll be first in line.
Old 03-07-13, 12:29 PM
LexFather

Well Honda now uses the CR-V platform for the incredibly average RDX that has less tech and features than a Ford Escape or Hyundai SUV so surely Lexus can figure out how to use the Rav-4 platform.

Hell Audi has a Q1 as well and BMW has a X1 now.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I disagree on the interior. In Buick trim, IMO, it is quite luxurious, and has both the Quiet Tuning and Active Noise Cancellation. But, not having driven one (yet), I will agree on the engine....at least on paper. 1.4 liters, even with a turbo, is not very impressive for a Buick-badged product, although the same vehicle, in decontented form, is sold in Europe as the Chevy Trax and Vauxhall Mokka.
It is not luxurious, it is well done. A 20-30k car cannot be built to a luxurious price point as its not in the luxury price point. You might have a well built interior but luxury? No way.

Old 03-07-13, 05:58 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GoGiantsNJ
Anyone think that Lexus would throw a diesel engine in a new CUV? Audi Q-5,and Mercedes GLK will now have diesel engines available for the North American market. The torque in those engines is impressive,as is the fuel economy. Diesel cost here in South Jersey is not that much more than Premium gas.

Well, here's hoping that some time Lexus will give us diesels in the SUV,CUV segment.
I'll be first in line.
Nope, doubt you'll ever see a Lexus diesel, especially stateside. So you're going to be in line for quite a while.
Old 03-07-13, 10:56 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Nope, doubt you'll ever see a Lexus diesel, especially stateside. So you're going to be in line for quite a while.
Correct me if im wrong, but Lexus offered an IS220d in the non-US market for a while. Now that the 300h is being intro'd, the diesel might be dropped, but as far as I know, there was at least 1 L badged diesel running around.
Old 03-07-13, 11:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by trexlexus
Correct me if im wrong, but Lexus offered an IS220d in the non-US market for a while. Now that the 300h is being intro'd, the diesel might be dropped, but as far as I know, there was at least 1 L badged diesel running around.
yeah, they dropped it... probably never again diesel, but NX will have a hybrid and small turbo petrol... lexus already registered NX200t and NX300h.
Old 03-08-13, 11:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GoGiantsNJ

I'll be first in line.
Lexus, to date, has not offered any diesels in the UK either. TOP GEAR magazine has strongly criticized them for that, and it has affected some of their ratings/evaluations of Lexus products. Of course, to me, that wouldn't necessarily be a deal-breaker (it wasn't with Subaru when I bought my Outback, despite Subie's refusal to market North-American diesels)....but diesels are VERY popular in Britain, and most manufacturers that ignores them there will suffer loss of sales.
Old 03-08-13, 11:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Well Honda now uses the CR-V platform for the incredibly average RDX that has less tech and features than a Ford Escape or Hyundai SUV so surely Lexus can figure out how to use the Rav-4 platform.
The last RDX, though, if you didn't mind its overly-stiff ride, was a hoot to drive (I did a partial but not full-review). It had handling, quick steering response, low body roll despite the high center of gravity, and, due to the turbo, something that is quite rare in Honda-designed 4-cylinders......plenty of low-RPM torque. The new RDX, contrary to most new vehicles these days which are increasingly more sport-oriented with each redesign, actually takes a step back in the testosterone department.

It is not luxurious, it is well done. A 20-30k car cannot be built to a luxurious price point as its not in the luxury price point. You might have a well built interior but luxury? No way.
OK, I can agree with part of that. We'll both agree, then, that it's well-done for the price. The Verano, for example, in that price-class, has tomb-quiet sound-insulation, super-comfortable leather seats, solid interior hardware, and nice touches like an optional heated steering wheel, heated seats, and a standard electronic parking-brake. But the 2012 model lacks power-adjustment for the seatback, a back-up camera (though it does have the rear-beepers), and seat-memory....all admittedly useful items. The Encore has pretty much of the same nice interior trim/hardware, but, in turn, lacks the electronic parking brake that the Verano uses (you get a pull-up-lever instead), and it also lacks seat-memory and the power-adjuster for the seat-rake/lumbar.

I can't comment on the Encore's sound-isolation yet, but I plan to drive one soon...and perhaps do a review.
Old 03-19-13, 03:38 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

Any chance for a New York debut?
Old 03-21-13, 08:34 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

More renderings:

via Mag X & TLE
Old 03-21-13, 10:22 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test drove the Rav4 AWD last weekend...if they base it on that platform, I see no problem. Great little CUV!
Old 03-21-13, 03:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I test drove the Rav4 AWD last weekend...if they base it on that platform, I see no problem. Great little CUV!
head of lexus eu said 2 years ago that they were planning for smaller suv, but have to wait for next rav4 since current platform was not suitable for luxury car... so i guess they spiced up this one.

did you drive limited or?
Old 03-21-13, 05:15 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, Limited AWD model - blue on black Softex. I loved it but for me to buy one, I'd need 1) more power 2) that open space in the passenger side dash to be closed and 3) less black plastic on the exterior.

Overall though, it was really a great drive. It feels like a sporty mini-RX. Loved it!