Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What if Lexus made a sub RX LUV based off of RAV4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-12, 05:19 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
The A4 is is about as RWD as any FWD car can get and the S60 has that awesome haldex AWD system. The point still being that these SUVs are based on the good bones of actual luxury sedans not economy trucklets. The RDX went from unique to bland and cheap when they decided to take away everything special and give it a Honda CR-V based AWD system and Accord engine. The RX starts at $39k so Lexus could start this IS based vehicle at $35-$36k which would still undercut the BMW X3 and be right in line with the MB GLK and Infiniti EX. Lexus said they want to move away from Toyota so this would be a good place to start.
A4 is FWD, nothing RWD about it.

This Lexus will be based on Rav4 platform that will be designed to have Lexus version. It is X1 and Q3 competitor.

Basing it on IS would be stupid for various reasons.
Old 05-18-12, 05:33 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

The current Rav4 is a wonderful vehicle already and we don't know much about the upcoming Rav4 but many people here can tell it is a cheaply version and whatsnot. Make it available in hybrid and also add the SPORT version to it Lexus.
Old 05-18-12, 06:43 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
A4 is FWD, nothing RWD about it.

This Lexus will be based on Rav4 platform that will be designed to have Lexus version. It is X1 and Q3 competitor.

Basing it on IS would be stupid for various reasons.
Longitudinal engine, rear biased driving dynamics its funny how it makes most rear wheel drive cars in its class look bad and run circles around them including the IS.

So the Q5 being based on the A4/A5, XC60 and S60, X3 and 3-series, GLK and C-class, EX35 and G37 are all stupid ideas too right? Give me a break. Lexus doesn't need a "good enough" car they need a winner and that can't be had with more Toyota economy based products which is the complete opposite thing they said they were striving to do. That would be stupid.

Also how accurate is your information about a Rav4 based Lexus? Is it confirmed?
Old 05-18-12, 08:26 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Longitudinal engine, rear biased driving dynamics its funny how it makes most rear wheel drive cars in its class look bad and run circles around them including the IS.

So the Q5 being based on the A4/A5, XC60 and S60, X3 and 3-series, GLK and C-class, EX35 and G37 are all stupid ideas too right? Give me a break. Lexus doesn't need a "good enough" car they need a winner and that can't be had with more Toyota economy based products which is the complete opposite thing they said they were striving to do. That would be stupid.

Also how accurate is your information about a Rav4 based Lexus? Is it confirmed?
What are you saying? For Audi (born VW), Volvo (sharing platform and components with common Mazda and Ford), Infiniti (born Nissan), Mercedes-Benz and BMW to build crossover wagons from their small sedans is acceptable but for Lexus (born Toyota) to build a small crossover wagon from an existing crossover (which is already car-based) is not? These are all ALL car-based crossovers and at the heart of it, really, what is the difference between a small luxury car and a small mass-market car? The availability of “exciting” electronic features such as iDrive, MMI and Comand, and some extra sound insulation?
Old 05-18-12, 08:30 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by LunaVyohr
They already have too many SUVs as it is.
I agree. They've got enough as it is.
Old 05-18-12, 09:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Well, that's what the public wants. A lot of people like the all-weather security and interior-space that many SUVs provide.
Old 05-18-12, 01:18 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, that's what the public wants. A lot of people like the all-weather security and interior-space that many SUVs provide.
Americans like station wagons yet they don't like station wagons (they won't buy station wagons). The CUV / SUV is the modern station wagon.

I would prefer a real station wagon myself but if there is nothing available, I will settle for a car-based utility vehicle.
Old 05-18-12, 03:10 PM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sulu
What are you saying? For Audi (born VW), Volvo (sharing platform and components with common Mazda and Ford), Infiniti (born Nissan), Mercedes-Benz and BMW to build crossover wagons from their small sedans is acceptable but for Lexus (born Toyota) to build a small crossover wagon from an existing crossover (which is already car-based) is not? These are all ALL car-based crossovers and at the heart of it, really, what is the difference between a small luxury car and a small mass-market car? The availability of “exciting” electronic features such as iDrive, MMI and Comand, and some extra sound insulation?
What are you saying? The A4 is on the MLB Modular Longitudinal platform shared with the A5/6/7/8/Q5 and no matter how much you dismiss it that platform is very advanced sharing nothing with any sort of VW. The XC60 is based on the premium Ford Mondeo platform a car that has been tops in its class for a while. Please tell me what Nissan the EX35 is based on.

Mercedes-Benz and BMW to build crossover wagons from their small sedans is acceptable but for Lexus (born Toyota) to build a small crossover wagon from an existing crossover (which is already car-based) is not?

What kind of a question is this? Might I ask what is so wrong with putting an SUV on the sporty bones of the upcoming IS sedan? Really what is so wrong?

Haha wow really what is the difference between a small luxury car and small mass market car? Your questions are humorous. With this logic why does Lexus bother with an IS when they could have just made a Corolla based version like Honda did with the Acura ILX. Better yet why does Toyota even bother with a luxury division?

Last edited by Lexuslvr91; 05-18-12 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-18-12, 06:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

What are you saying? The A4 is on the MLB Modular Longitudinal platform shared with the A5/6/7/8/Q5 and no matter how much you dismiss it that platform is very advanced sharing nothing with any sort of VW. The XC60 is based on the premium Ford Mondeo platform a car that has been tops in its class for a while. Please tell me what Nissan the EX35 is based on.

Mercedes-Benz and BMW to build crossover wagons from their small sedans is acceptable but for Lexus (born Toyota) to build a small crossover wagon from an existing crossover (which is already car-based) is not?

What kind of a question is this? Might I ask what is so wrong with putting an SUV on the sporty bones of the upcoming IS sedan? Really what is so wrong?

Haha wow really what is the difference between a small luxury car and small mass market car? Your questions are humorous. With this logic why does Lexus bother with an IS when they could have just made a Corolla based version like Honda did with the Acura ILX. Better yet why does Toyota even bother with a luxury division?
i think you are humorous.

X1 is not built better than Rav4... Q3 doesnt have better AWD than Rav4. "Nothing with any sort of VW" is hillarious.

I have no interest in SUV that has no space in the back or in the boot, FWD based with intelligent on demand AWD is what is needed.
Old 05-19-12, 09:26 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
i think you are humorous.

X1 is not built better than Rav4... Q3 doesnt have better AWD than Rav4. "Nothing with any sort of VW" is hillarious.

I have no interest in SUV that has no space in the back or in the boot, FWD based with intelligent on demand AWD is what is needed.
If you are inferring that the Rav4 has better reliability than the X3(I don't know where the X1 reference comes from or the Q3 for that matter...) then you are correct but no Toyota product has a better AWD system than Audi's 40:60 quattro. How do you know an IS based crossover wouldn't have sufficient space anyway?
Old 05-19-12, 03:02 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus doesn't need to have a better 4wd system than the Audi to sell. Look at the success of the RX! Basically every luxury sub SUV owes themselves to it. Now Lexus should and looks like it's going to get in the smaller than RX category. If it does somewhat near as good as the RX in terms of sales it's definitely worth it. Who cares what it's based off of. The RAV4 is a great platform, one of the best small SUVs there is. The next one is yet to be seen, but I doubt they'll take a step backwards.
Old 05-19-12, 03:10 PM
LexFather

Thread become utterly terrible..

Old 05-19-12, 03:37 PM
pri2lex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Trexus
If it's a hybrid it could be called CX 300h
That was the rumor a couple years ago: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/05/l...based-on-rav4/

http://www.caradvice.com.au/127553/l...coming-rumour/
Old 05-19-12, 05:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I agree. They've got enough as it is.
too many, or enough? what is the right number, and why?

right now they have huge (lx), mid-size / funky narrow (gx), mid-size 5 seat (rx). adding a cuv seems to make sense to me.
Old 06-02-12, 05:47 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I'm counting on a CX 300h based on the CT or RAV4 rumor mills out there. I love my RXh but I do want a smaller CUV with even better mileage to go alongside my CT.

In speaking with my Lexus Sales Rep a couple months back, he said he "knows about the CX rumor, that the outlook is good, and to stay tuned over the next 12 months". My gut tells me if not by end of 2012, but by a spring 2013 release as a 2014 model.

This is my breakdown of the the launch of 9 new or updated models to be released this year (plus 3 F-sport variants), as announced by Lexus Execs in Jan '12:

1. '13 GS
2. '13 RX
3. '13 LX
4. '13 ES
5. '13/'14 LS
6. '13/'14 IS
7. '13/'14 CT (300h) ?
8. '14 IS Coupe/Convertible ??
9. '13 or '14 CX???

Now if Lexus considers hybrid versions as new separate models, we may be in trouble as this number hits 9 perfectly as well as the 3 F-Sport from the GS, RX, and LS model lineups:

1. '13 GS (new) (F-Sport)
2. '13 GSh (new)
3. '13 RX (refreshed) (F-Sport)
4. '13 RXh (refreshed)
5. '13 LX (refreshed)
6. '13 ES (new)
7. '13 ESh (new)
8. '13/'14 LS (new?) (F-Sport)
9. '13/'14 LSh (new ?)

Hoping for the first scenario. Fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: What if Lexus made a sub RX LUV based off of RAV4?