Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Distances Itself from Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-12, 12:39 PM
CANDYAPPLE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
GT-Rs advantage lies with its AWD. The traction on that car is ridiculous and not many cars can come close. With all this GT-R vs corvette talk, i'm with the other guy. I'd take a Porsche 911. Any day, any model over the other two.
this is my first awd lexus and im very impressed with its traction. im pretty sure if you drop 22 psi of boost and tighter suspension these things could be a ton of fun.
Old 05-10-12, 03:35 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kingdavid
I don't think the F is looked on with the same reverence as BMW looks at M. Though M cars make up only a fraction of the care BMW sells they are where BMW makes its money. Every BMW driver wants to drive an M even the suv drivers, just ask them.
Personally I don't want to drive an is-f. Mostly because theyre butt ugly, but also because for a similar price I could have an m-3 which is still slapping the is-f around. Lexus can't make the itself the "alternative" choice, it needs to make itself the OBVIOUS choice.
I'm praying Lexus learned from the 335 debacle and is waiting for BMW to drop its new model 3 series before dropping it's own with better everything. I think that's Lexus' chance, otherwise it will become "coulda been" who had a shot at the title but couldn't go three rounds
335... debacle?

The IS350 is faster, better made, has nicer materials, and the engine wasn't infamous for breaking down. The only objective advantage the 335 had was a more engaging suspension - but, almost no magazine ever reviewed an IS350 with the sports suspension, so even the media overplayed the difference there.

Now, you can tell about all the subjective ways you think the 335 is better, but you cannot argue any of the points above.
Old 05-10-12, 04:31 PM
Ap1_Alan
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
335... debacle?

The IS350 is faster, better made, has nicer materials, and the engine wasn't infamous for breaking down. The only objective advantage the 335 had was a more engaging suspension - but, almost no magazine ever reviewed an IS350 with the sports suspension, so even the media overplayed the difference there.

Now, you can tell about all the subjective ways you think the 335 is better, but you cannot argue any of the points above.
One can argue almost all of your points above.

The 335 vs is350 would be a drivers race in terms of straight line acceleration, although most magazines that compared them have got better times from the 335. Handling is also better in the 335 plus it lets the driver feel more engaged. Not to mention with very little money you can make the 335 much faster.

Nicer materials? The BMW interiors are much more refined, the plastics used in the IS feel cheaper. Sit in a 335 and push the buttons, slam the door, everything just feels more solid. I've seen people on this forum that had problems with their IS dash's basically melting, becoming soft and sticky.

the 335 does have a known fuel pump issue, but lets not forget that the is350 had a major valve spring recall. Reliability still goes to Lexus, and that's not even close, I'll concede that one
Old 05-10-12, 05:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Ap1_Alan
One can argue almost all of your points above.

The 335 vs is350 would be a drivers race in terms of straight line acceleration, although most magazines that compared them have got better times from the 335. Handling is also better in the 335 plus it lets the driver feel more engaged. Not to mention with very little money you can make the 335 much faster.

Nicer materials? The BMW interiors are much more refined, the plastics used in the IS feel cheaper. Sit in a 335 and push the buttons, slam the door, everything just feels more solid. I've seen people on this forum that had problems with their IS dash's basically melting, becoming soft and sticky.

the 335 does have a known fuel pump issue, but lets not forget that the is350 had a major valve spring recall. Reliability still goes to Lexus, and that's not even close, I'll concede that one
Have you sat in a 2006 330i vs a 2006 IS350? The 330i is nothing but cheap hollow plastic and a bland dash

for that matter check out and feel the shifter in a 2008 5 series. an absolute disgrace and not worthy of its premium price
Old 05-10-12, 05:33 PM
LexFather

Lol this became GTR vs ZR1 now 3 vs IS...

You know what, the title in itself is telling. B/C you don't see the media saying "Audi tries to distance itself from VW" or "Mercedes tries to shed Chrysler" or "BMW losing its marbles going FWD"

Two decades later the media continues to relate Toyota/Lexus anyway they can. Look at the LFA, not one ****ing thing in that car is about another Toyota and all the articles state Toyota in it one way or the other.

Until that bias is gone they will see it only as Toyota and they will relay those feelings in writing for others to read and feel the same way.

They don't write the same way about the Germans. VW/Audi share tons and you wouldn't know just reading articles. Rarely do they say "and this engine which is shared with VW" or "and this is like a VW". Thus people think Audi is somehow its own company.

Its obvious 2 decades later how far Lexus has come. Maybe the media needs to change with them.

Old 05-11-12, 10:16 AM
Ap1_Alan
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Have you sat in a 2006 330i vs a 2006 IS350? The 330i is nothing but cheap hollow plastic and a bland dash

for that matter check out and feel the shifter in a 2008 5 series. an absolute disgrace and not worthy of its premium price
I've had a lot of seat time in a 2011 335 and a 2007 is350 (ex gf's). The fitment and quality of the build wasn't even close, the BMW was much better. You mention that the BMW dash felt hollow, well i've never seen one turn to mush. Do a search on this forum and you'll find cases of the IS dash and door panels basically melting in the sun. I believe there might even be a TSB on it?

All that being said I wouldn't buy a 335 over a is350 due to price and reliability. But for the original comment that the 335 isn't better than the is350 and it isn't arguable, that's just oozing Lexus fanboy.