Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Richard Hammond's 10 Best American Cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-12, 10:14 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Richard Hammond's 10 Best American Cars

1953 Chevrolet Corvette

"It's one of the most beautiful cars. I think it was one of the first proper two-seater sports cars made in America, and it still stops traffic. It's desperately beautiful."

1955 Chrysler C-300

"It's no secret, I love muscle cars. Because of the sense of humor! They're usually bright yellow or lime green, and it's all about fun. The 300 was the first one with a Hemi V8 in it, so it was in a way one of the first muscle cars. It's brutally handsome – not a subtle thing, but it looks what it is, big and powerful. I'd love one in my garage ... of course I'd never afford one."

1969 Dodge Charger

"I used to own one, it was lime green. The Dukes of Hazzard car, of course, but it's a strangely beautiful thing. Again, like America, if you ignore its size, it's has some fabulously subtle design details. Some of the lines are breathtaking. I sold mine, though, because it couldn't fit in most towns in Britain."

1968 Ford Mustang 390 GT

"I replaced my Charger with one of these. You have to have a pony car in there because they are so pretty, such an emblem. It rocked everybody's socks, and still does, and it puts a massive smile on my face whenever I take it out of my garage."

Pickup Trucks

"I love pickups, I really do. Either a Dodge Ram or an old '50s Ford or Chevy, because they are beautiful. My wife — if I'm ever feeling flush, I'm going to have to buy her one, because it's what she wants more than anything else in the world, a restored vintage pickup. She has a horse truck, a Land Rover, a diesel John Deere Gator, a Harley, a tractor, and she'd love to add a pickup. It's terrifying — what did I marry? [Laughs]"

AMC Pacer

"Every nation needs a terrible car. You need something comically and heroically bad. Britain had the Austin Maxi, which was a similarly shaped ordinary family shopping cart. The Pacer has that same slightly sagged look, it's pretty dire. I would love one, it's hilarious."

Striker Fire Truck

"It's the most powerful fire truck in the world — and typically, it's American. I asked the guy on the show, 'Does it have to look that cool?' And there was kind of a pause, because I don't think it does [laughs]. If you've got a bunch of drab, dreary people coming around the corner in a boring machine, you wouldn't be inspired to think you were safe. But if you see an American fire truck, it's chromed and beautiful and the guys look cool, and there's a sense of, 'I'll be okay, because I've got those superheroes raging around my city.' When a British fire truck goes by, you think, 'Oh... somebody's having a bad day.'"

2012 Jeep Wrangler

"I dismissed it at first; I thought it was going to be awful. But it's fabulous, and got me thinking about the Wrangler in general: It's a retro car and you could knock it for that, but you know what? It works, it's competent, it's efficient for its size. You can still take the doors and the roof off, and that still makes you feel good. And if a car can do that, who cares how fast it goes around a corner at the Nürburgring?"

Chevrolet Corvette ZR1

"I'm going to have to have two Corvettes. The ZR1 is a genuine, worldwide-competitive sports car, and it's staggering. It can stand up to the best from anywhere else. I like American cars, but you haven't made many sports cars. Supercars, muscle cars, yes, but the ZR1 is a true sports car. It's an amazing piece of kit."

Fiskers

"It's a range-extended electric vehicle, not a hybrid in the same sense as a Prius. It's a very clever, pragmatic approach. Hopefully hydrogen fuel cell cars will be the solution eventually, and if hybrids are just a stopgap, it is a much better one, and it looks glorious. It's got to look cool! Cars are costumes, we put them on to tell the world something about ourselves."

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/05...ia%29&pid=1970
Old 05-05-12, 11:23 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is Ford GT40? I love the design!
Old 05-05-12, 11:46 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A pretty weird list. That's for sure.

He didn't include the 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air? Or the 1966 Buick Riviera? Or the 1970 Lincoln Continental Mark IV? Come on, Hammond, you can do better!
Old 05-05-12, 12:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Where is Ford GT40? I love the design!
tops on my list
Old 05-05-12, 12:26 PM
JessePS

No Shelby Cobra and no GT40?
Old 05-05-12, 12:29 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I've never seen that Chrysler c-300 before, i like it.
Old 05-05-12, 05:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Richard may be a "secret American" but he doesnt know what he is talking about here. Where is the Shelby Cobra, GT40, or the Daytona coupe.
Old 05-05-12, 07:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

One of the most sought-after American classics, of course, is the '57 Chevy. Always was, and always will be, a looker.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-05-12 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-05-12, 09:22 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a bad list, but still a list from a Brit. I'd love to see what members here would rate as their top 10 American cars.

One of my all time favorites is the 1960 Corvette.
Attached Thumbnails Richard Hammond's 10 Best American Cars-corvette.jpeg  
Old 05-06-12, 04:39 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Yes Marshall the 57' chevy is quite a beautiful car. (I even had one of those VCR tape rewinders in the shape of a 57' chevy lol)

In that Generation tho, Nomad > all!
Old 05-06-12, 09:09 PM
LexFather

The impact of the first gen Explorer or even Taurus can't be denied. What about the old SHO?

You have to include the current Mustang/Camaro to me as well.

Also the Chrysler Mini-Van...beyond influential...

Old 05-07-12, 08:53 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Pacer? Really? If it weren't for Wayne's world, I would've never known what that is.

Might as well throw in the pinto
Old 05-07-12, 10:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The impact of the first gen Explorer or even Taurus can't be denied. What about the old SHO?
Agreed on the Explorer and basic Taurus, but the SHO never really sold in big numbers, partially due to supply-issues with the Yamaha-built engines.

You have to include the current Mustang/Camaro to me as well.
True, but I think the main reason the current ones are so popular is that a lot of buyers are, in their minds, trying to relive the original Mustang and Camaro glory days of the 1960s....and their own youths.

the Chrysler Mini-Van...beyond influential...
Yep...it did a number on the traditional station wagons in the American market.
Old 05-07-12, 11:58 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Agree... no Shelby = BIG

ZR1... over Z06... hmmmmm.. I remember the drive they did to Vegas with the ZR1 (which Clarkson shredded til he drove it), CTS-V and Challenger and raced for top speed on the salt flats... coulda SWORN Hammond praised the Z06 as the best Vette... ... but I may be wrong...
Old 05-07-12, 02:25 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

GT40
Viper
H1 Hummer