Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Subaru WRX to use electric turbocharger?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-12, 12:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Next Subaru WRX to use electric turbocharger?

Next Subaru WRX to use electric turbocharger?

ubaru has been trying to figure out the direction for its three-headed monster, as the Impreza and its WRX and WRX STI variants have grown increasingly at odds over the past two generations. Now this gets thrown into the mix: When the new WRX gets released in late 2013, it may ditch the traditional exhaust-gas powered turbocharger for a new, electric design.

That's right, according to The Sydney Morning Herald, Subaru is working on an electric turbo, shades of those computer-fan-sourced "power adders" you used to see advertised in the back pages of Sport Compact Car a decade ago. Except we would assume Subie-parent Fuji Heavy Industries is developing a design that actually works. According to the report, heat from the exhaust would be captured, but instead of using the exhaust pressure to turn the turbocharger's turbine, the heat energy would be converted to electricity, which would then spin the impellers. This could be more efficient, as well as eliminating the piping and turbo lag.

While that sounds neat and all, we're not so sure we want to see an unproven technology like this applied to one of our favorite affordable performance cars. Unless, of course, it allows for BMW M3-like performance in a $30,000 car.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/03/n...-turbocharger/
Old 05-03-12, 12:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

The complexity is not needed. They are messing with a formula that has worked for decades. Im not saying it will not work but there will be some issues with any new system
Old 05-03-12, 01:18 PM
Hoovey689

^^ if it ain't broke don't fix it!
Old 05-03-12, 02:31 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm all for it - I'm sure they will test it thoroughly, and if it can eliminate some of the plumbing associated with typical turbo systems, then all the better.

Can't wait to see what the next gen WRX/STI look like!
Old 05-03-12, 02:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Like many cars today the system is getting to automated. The flow of the exhaust gas out of the engine is an easy source to use to spool the turbo. I dont know why we need to go indirect. I cant see it really be better than the old system.....but Im no engineer. Its like electric steering. Yeah it works but its numb and indirect. There was really no reason for it but yet its being used in many cars today ( and most do not like the feel of it)
Old 05-03-12, 06:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Like many cars today the system is getting to automated. The flow of the exhaust gas out of the engine is an easy source to use to spool the turbo. I dont know why we need to go indirect. I cant see it really be better than the old system.....but Im no engineer. Its like electric steering. Yeah it works but its numb and indirect. There was really no reason for it but yet its being used in many cars today ( and most do not like the feel of it)
if they could easily recapture exhaust energy into electricity, wouldnt it be used on hybrids to charge their batteries? I dont think rumor has it right as to what they are trying to do...

Running a turbine to capture exhaust gases and then convert it to energy to run electric motor, makes no sense to me... loses would double.

I dont think thats what they mean by electric turbo.
Old 05-03-12, 06:37 PM
Mookie254
Driver

what they need to fix are those fragile pistons. just my 2 cent
Old 05-03-12, 09:00 PM
Mikeyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The complexity is not needed. They are messing with a formula that has worked for decades. Im not saying it will not work but there will be some issues with any new system
I'm all for staying with something that has worked. But subaru as a company has to bring up their mpg as required by federal law. That's why they're tickering with the idea.
With any new system there will be a lot of problems but actually its fixed I think the electric turbo might be a good choice.(reduce emission, increase mpg and maybe even gain more low end power)
Btw I talked to my subaru rep lately, the new wrx is suppose to be a 2014model so maybe we will see the electric turbo then
Old 05-04-12, 11:57 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Well, I'm looking at this long-term. True that the electric steering has lost some feel in a lot of cases, but recent efforts that I've read reviews on say that they're getting much better at maintaining feel. And electric steering nets better MPG vs the older systems, of course, so that's the driver for its implementation.

I see electric-assist turbos in the same light. There may be a learning curve involved, but I'm sure that long-term the benifits will outweigh drawbacks, if there are any.

But more importantly, I'm just looking forward to more turbo cars from the factory. More fun, more torque, and more MPGs if done correctly.

I'm just amazed that the Japanese (in general) have let themselves fall so far behind with it when compared to the Koreans and even domestics. It's like we're in the bizarro world...Ford has a turbo Taurus, and Infiniti, for example, just keeps punching out their motors to bigger & bigger displacements. I supect this will be changing in the next few years, however. I sure hope so.
Old 05-05-12, 07:02 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you think it's time to replace the EJ20 and EJ25 engines? Or not?
Old 05-05-12, 11:09 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Initial B
Ford has a turbo Taurus, and Infiniti, for example, just keeps punching out their motors to bigger & bigger displacements.
okay, and what mpg does the ford turbo taurus get?
Old 05-06-12, 12:56 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BoDarville
I have no idea, honestly, but I do know that as a trend, small engines with FI will be replacing big NA engines in pursuit of more MPG. And I also know that the height of JDM goodness was in the mid-late '90s with the Supra/RX7/Celica All-Trac/Silvia/etc. Turbos FTW.
Old 05-06-12, 01:23 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Good luck with that, I could see electric turbo acting to assist a conventional turbo, but no way it can replace it.
Old 05-06-12, 02:37 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by BoDarville
17 city 25 hwy 20 combined

Ford has a turbo Taurus, and Infiniti, for example, just keeps punching out their motors to bigger & bigger displacements
As long as fuel economy numbers improve every year, there really is no need to downsize. When they plateau then sure
Old 05-06-12, 04:10 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Do you think it's time to replace the EJ20 and EJ25 engines? Or not?
Yes and no. I think that the EJ25 is on its way out, given the new DI 2.0L. I forsee that engine becoming the run of the mill engine. Hopefully this heavily revised 2.0L will be what Subaru needs. Remember that Subaru is a small company. Given the strides in fuel economy made by the new 2.0L Impreza, this engine hopefully is a good start. A DI turbo will be excellent.

Originally Posted by Och
Good luck with that, I could see electric turbo acting to assist a conventional turbo, but no way it can replace it.
I don't really see it happening either. And I love, love, love my turbocharged 2.5L. 0-60 in 5.3 seconds and I average 23 MPG (60% city driving).

What's interesting is that the WRX is really nipping at the heals of the WRX STi. They used to have a 70 HP dif. Reportedly, with the new 2.0L turbo it will only be a difference of 33 HP. Even now, the STi is only .4 seconds quicker to 60 MPH than the WRX. It should really be around 240 HP IMO, which would still make it pretty quick.

Quick Reply: Next Subaru WRX to use electric turbocharger?