Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus GS 450h, Porsche Panamera S Hybrid, or Infiniti M35h?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-12, 06:16 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus GS 450h, Porsche Panamera S Hybrid, or Infiniti M35h?

Sorry if repost, didn't see... VERY impressive!!!

Pretty lengthy, follow the clicks... full comparison link at the bottom

http://wot.motortrend.com/which-hybr...urce=pulsenews

The words “quick” and “hybrid” can’t always be used in the same sentence. These days, though, more than a few electric-assisted vehicles out there fit that description. We recently sampled three of the quickest hybrid luxury sedans around, including the 2013 Lexus GS 450h, 2012 Porsche Panamera S Hybrid, and 2012 Infiniti M35h – a car Nissan claims is the fastest hybrid in the world. To find out whether the Lexus, Infiniti, or Porsche won the luxury hybrid sports sedan test, head to the comparison here. If it were your money, which gas-electric luxury sports sedan would you choose?

With a combined 380 hp, the Porsche Panamera S Hybrid impressed us with its spry handling, ample power, and ultra-luxurious interior. But with an as-tested price of $110,680, would it be your pick? Or would you choose the GS Hybrid, with its combined 338 hp, 29/34 mpg city/highway fuel economy, and slightly easier-to-swallow MSRP of closer to $70,000? The Inifiniti M35h has a combined output of 360 hp and is relative value at $65,395; would its curvy sheetmetal persuade you to get into its driver’s seat?

Full article:
http://wot.motortrend.com/which-hybr...urce=pulsenews

From the July, 2012 issue of Motor Trend

By Kim Reynolds

Every time I observe somebody calculating a hybrid's "payback miles" -- that is, its price premium (if you can figure that out) amortized by its mileage improvement -- I cringe. For those who need simple answers, I guess it's hard to resist, but the trade-offs embodied by these cars are more complex than simpleminded division. Let me flip the conversation: How many people figure out the payback cost effec-tiveness of a concert-hall-quality sound system? A bigger engine? Carbon-ceramic brakes? Nobody. But for some reason, the word "hybrid" brings the calculators out.

If the value proposition of mainstream hybrids is prickly business, grappling with expensive, high-performance, ueber-luxury ones is a cactus hug. And the three most recent examples of this predicament are perfect examples: the new Infiniti M35h, Lexus GS 450h, and Porsche Panamera Hybrid we've gathered here.

To untie the complicated knots these vehicles represent, we decided to tug at the strings from three separate directions. We looked at how they rate as luxury cars, how they compare as performance cars, and, of course, whether they're any good at being hybrids in the first place. This idea of subdividing the problem into a trio of attributes inspired the photos on these pages, which are meant to suggest a triathlon. Hey, play along.

Now, I can already hear the eruption of angry keyboard clatter when you note that one of our three triathletes showed up wearing gold-embroidered running shoes. While the base prices of the M35h and GS 450h are $54,595 and $64,650, respectively, the Panamera Hybrid thudded upon our doorstep at 30 to 40 grand more -- $95,975. To suppress the outrage of any of you 2 Percenters confronted with a 1 Percent car, let's agree now that, if the Infiniti and Lexus fit your wallet, but a 95-grand Porsche just gets you mad, whenever you see the word "Porsche," just skip right over the offending paragraphs. Pretend they aren't there. Deal? Deal.

So let's start with the "luxury" part. Although all three can readily produce long lists of the requisite lap-of-luxury features -- a funny one being the Infiniti's lane-departure chime, which repeatedly sounded around the Cypress College track during our photo shoot (it was detecting the running lanes!) -- luxury is really something you know when you see it. And feel it. Although each of these cars appears to date from a different automotive era, you can see and feel luxury in all three.
Full:
Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1sxmfp4jJ
Old 04-24-12, 07:22 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great article. Thanks for posting
Old 04-24-12, 07:30 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First Place: Lexus GS 450h
The best fuel economy here, and substantially superior in terms of driveability. And it handles better than you'd expect too.
Quite surprised about Lexus over the Porsche.

Yes, MPG and price helped out a lot. But to be commended for its driving dynamics, especially when paired against the Panamera, is outstanding.
Old 04-24-12, 09:23 AM
LexFather

Love to see all the new hybrids coming, this comparison was unheard of when just the GSh was around years ago.

Congrats to the Lexus GS 450h on a hard fought win!

Old 04-24-12, 09:24 AM
AShepherd
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah panamera is the standard for handling for such a big car
although i think panamera should be compared more to the 7 series or S class though
Old 04-24-12, 10:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

Yes, MPG and price helped out a lot. But to be commended for its driving dynamics, especially when paired against the Panamera, is outstanding.
i dont think either were reasons it won...

It won because:

After our comparison drive, editor at large Angus MacKenzie asked me which of these cars I'd really prefer to drive. I responded, "Around a racetrack" -- suspecting that's what he was getting at -- "no question, the Porsche. But to the racetrack, the Lexus."
And most of our lives are spent, metaphorically speaking, driving to the racetrack.
And the M 35h? To neither, I'm afraid.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1syhkwuKK
But at least as unexpected was the GS' handling while trailing in the Porsche's wake. Though much slower, its tail actually drifted, its throttle modulations adeptly fine-tuned its understeer, and its turn-in was sweet. When I figure-eight-tested the car, I actually yelled out, "I can't believe this is a hybrid!" as it oversteered out of the corners (and with more delicacy than the Panamera, which tended to abruptly snap back into line -- ouch, the neck). A head nod to its Dynamic Rear Steering (active rear wheel steering), which countersteers up to 1.5 degrees below 50 mph for agility and parallel steers above that for enhanced stability. It's not nearly as fast as the Porsche, of course, but -- hold on here -- is it actually out-scoring the Porsche in our three triathlon qualities?

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1syi2sAEs
Also, as I mentioned in previous thread, in German Autobild, M35h was 20-25% better real life mpg than 5 series active hybrid. And in turn Lexus is 15% than M35h..........
Old 04-24-12, 10:30 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

First the GS350 over A6, 5, M37, now GS450h over M35h and Panamera Hybrid... Impressive
Old 04-24-12, 10:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

i dont think either were reasons it won...

It won because:

After our comparison drive, editor at large Angus MacKenzie asked me which of these cars I'd really prefer to drive. I responded, "Around a racetrack" -- suspecting that's what he was getting at -- "no question, the Porsche. But to the racetrack, the Lexus."
And most of our lives are spent, metaphorically speaking, driving to the racetrack.
And the M 35h? To neither, I'm afraid.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1syhkwuKK
But at least as unexpected was the GS' handling while trailing in the Porsche's wake. Though much slower, its tail actually drifted, its throttle modulations adeptly fine-tuned its understeer, and its turn-in was sweet. When I figure-eight-tested the car, I actually yelled out, "I can't believe this is a hybrid!" as it oversteered out of the corners (and with more delicacy than the Panamera, which tended to abruptly snap back into line -- ouch, the neck). A head nod to its Dynamic Rear Steering (active rear wheel steering), which countersteers up to 1.5 degrees below 50 mph for agility and parallel steers above that for enhanced stability. It's not nearly as fast as the Porsche, of course, but -- hold on here -- is it actually out-scoring the Porsche in our three triathlon qualities?

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1syi2sAEs
Also, as I mentioned in previous thread, in German Autobild, M35h was 20-25% better real life mpg than 5 series active hybrid. And in turn Lexus is 15% than M35h..........
Old 04-24-12, 10:49 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
First the GS350 over A6, 5, M37, now GS450h over M35h and Panamera Hybrid... Impressive
This should be a 9 page thread here commending Lexus for the improvements to the GS 450h.

The poor M35 has sold poorly out the gate and this entire generation M35/37/56 has struggled since day 1.

Old 04-24-12, 11:07 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Hmm is there a typo ? Based on that table 2013 GS450h 0-60 / 6.0 seconds? Did I miss something ? How come it is slower than 3GS 450h ? If I remember correctly 2007 - 2011 GS450h 0-60 was 5.4 secs.
Old 04-24-12, 11:12 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Hmm is there a typo ? Based on that table 2013 GS450h 0-60 / 6.0 seconds? Did I miss something ? How come it is slower than 3GS 450h ? If I remember correctly 2007 - 2011 GS450h 0-60 was 5.4 secs.
This generation of the GS 450h is more tuned for economy while keeping still solid performance. The last model was tuned more for performance than economy.

It think the new method makes more sense here.

Old 04-24-12, 11:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

nice win for the gs450h!

the GS Hybrid, ... slightly easier-to-swallow MSRP of closer to $70,000?
Old 04-24-12, 12:03 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Is something wrong with that? Seems pretty reasonable to me, especially if you price out a nicely equipped 535i or A6 3.0T.

Base price for the new GSh is the same as the old car...and you're getting a lot for your money, so "close to $70k" would have to be absolutely top of the line.
Old 04-24-12, 12:09 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

goes to show what Lexus can make when they put your minds together.

the GS was one of the fastest selling vehicles this month too at 15 days on the lot
Old 04-24-12, 12:49 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice win for the GS, the Infiniti M is getting hammered in every comparison. IMO, the the new GS styling is not as attractive as the previous generations.

Quick Reply: Lexus GS 450h, Porsche Panamera S Hybrid, or Infiniti M35h?