Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rumormill: Mercedes prepares to overhaul its confusing naming structure

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-12, 02:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Rumormill: Mercedes prepares to overhaul its confusing naming structure

Mercedes prepares to overhaul its confusing naming structure

When it comes to German luxury vehicles, it's always the same old story: BMW and Mercedes-Benz duking it out for first place, with Audi gaining ground while locking down third. So why should it be any different when it comes to naming conventions? BMW has clearly taken the lead for which car brand can have the most confusing and illogical alphanumeric badging, and thus, Mercedes is readying a new naming regimen of its own.

According to a report in Automobile, Benz will be completely overhauling the familiar "-Class" designations to make them more logical. To Germans. Who are engineers. How will this shake out? We've read the article three times and can't make much sense of it, but Automobile indicates that we should expect SUV's and crossovers to continue using the G prefix, while coupes and convertibles will use the C prefix, and the SL prefix will be reserved for sports cars. After that, well, we give up.

Supposedly a third letter of the name will designate the model range, meaning that the front-drive, four-door coupe based on the A- and B-Class architecture won't be called CLC, but will instead go by CLA. And the forthcoming GLC crossover will be unveiled as the GLA. The GLK will probably get renamed GLC, according to the magazine, and now we've entered the rabbit hole, because as Automobile writes:
But what of the rumored A-Class based coupe and cabriolet models? CLA comes to mind, but this name is already spoken for. Would it make more sense if the CLC-turned-CLA is renamed once again to become the CLB, since its MFA platform is also shared with the B-Class? If so, Benz has to move quickly, as the concept car that previews the CLC/CLA/CLB is supposed to make its official debut in a few weeks at the 2012 Beijing motor show.

Then there's the problem with the CLS-Class. It won't be receiving a new name, according to the report, which means the forthcoming two-door version of the S-Class can't be called CLS. And the G-Class won't get any of the extra letters, retaining its single-letter name.

So there you have it. If Automobile is correct, Mercedes' new naming scheme will take something that was confusing and illogical and make sure it's still confusing and illogical, but unfamiliar as well.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/19/m...ing-structure/
Old 04-19-12, 03:45 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That hurt my head... I honestly think they should just keep it the same. People that know cars have gotten accustom to the names and people that don't know cars and buy benzes don't really give a crap.
Old 04-19-12, 08:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by adamls2
That hurt my head... I honestly think they should just keep it the same. People that know cars have gotten accustom to the names and people that don't know cars and buy benzes don't really give a crap.
lol mine too

I'm a car guy and in the last 5 years my head hurts from all the random letters, numbers etc...I honestly probably can't name a new BMW with teh active drive xdrive 4.2 but its a 1.6 etc etc stuff

Old 04-19-12, 09:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think they should leave the model numbers the same. Its not that confusing at all. Mercedes has a huge lineup but it should be as easy to research as just checking the website. Leave well enough alone Mercedes
Old 04-19-12, 10:25 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Certainly Mercedes must have researched this or at least surveyed some of their customers? I can't image anyone wanting the current names to change. This makes no sense.
Old 04-19-12, 10:47 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm confused with German brand naming their cars. 328i = 3.0L, why not 330i? 335i= turbo 3.0L. Why not 330T? They like confusing people.
Lexus do a good job with naming... except their hybrid models.
Old 04-20-12, 12:06 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol good to know others are as shaking their heads too... validates my point a bit.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...s-classes.html
Old 04-20-12, 12:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i feel like throwing up reading the article. if anything that only confuses people more... just keep the current setup already
Old 04-20-12, 01:13 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes true, we all already get used to the names already, why bother changing them.
Old 04-20-12, 01:21 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I think they should leave the model numbers the same. Its not that confusing at all. Mercedes has a huge lineup but it should be as easy to research as just checking the website. Leave well enough alone Mercedes
Its annoying when you are trying to compare cars or look up available units for sale and you have so many models to compare.
Old 04-20-12, 01:24 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I'd like to see them stay the same