Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds: Honda and Acura best brands for retaining value

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-12, 02:25 PM
phil05
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edmunds: Honda and Acura best brands for retaining value

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/19/e...taining-value/

Honda and Acura have had their fair share of issues over the last few years – from earthquakes, tsunamis and floods to important new models not being all that well received – but that hasn't stopped them from claiming top honors in Edmunds' 2012 Best Retained Value Awards.

According to Edmunds, on average, Honda vehicles are expected to retain 47.9 percent of their value after five years; Acura is just behind with 44.6 percent, taking the win in the luxury segment. In the mainstream category, Toyota and Mazda each got honorable mentions while Lexus and Cadillac to secondary honors in the luxury stakes.

Interestingly, despite not scoring the win in the mainstream class or even managing an honorable mention, Ford had the most individual wins in Edmunds' categories with five, beating Honda's four class victories. The vehicle expected to retain the most value after five years out of all classes is the Toyota Tacoma.
Old 04-19-12, 02:27 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Design is certainly not Honda's strong suit, but credit should be given where its due. they are one of the few automakers who really "batten down the hatches" when it comes to factory fitment. So props
Old 04-20-12, 10:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Part of this comes from the long-standing demand for Honda products (both new and used) because of their long-held (and justified) reputation for quality, reliability, and freedom from repairs. But, in some ways, the public is a little behind the times, and is still living in the past. While not making poor vehicles by any means, Honda/Acura has slipped somewhat in the design of a number of their newer products, and (along with Toyota) is no longer the unchallenged industry-leader it once was. In fact, this year, Subaru eclipsed Honda as Consumer Reports' overall top-ranked automaker.
Old 04-20-12, 11:21 AM
LexFather

This has been talked about at Tier 1 forums for years. When you have a Tier 3 brand selling at a much lower price point it will retain its value better. An AMG S65 at 180k drops to 130k after a year. etc etc A 26k ILX that drops to 22k after a year will "retain value better". Its not rocket science.

Yall might want to do a IP check on the O.P from Acura in Marysville, Ohio

Old 04-20-12, 11:59 AM
nvslm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This has been talked about at Tier 1 forums for years. When you have a Tier 3 brand selling at a much lower price point it will retain its value better. An AMG S65 at 180k drops to 130k after a year. etc etc A 26k ILX that drops to 22k after a year will "retain value better". Its not rocket science.

Yall might want to do a IP check on the O.P from Acura in Marysville, Ohio

This is just silly, when you are comparing the AMG S65 to ILX. ILX just got on the market and I believe what edmunds saying is for older honda/acura model.

Using the AMG S65 example, then almost any other car model within toyota, honda, mazda, ford and etc will retain better value. It's not apple to apple comparison.
Old 04-20-12, 12:22 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Also, Honda cars are way over priced for what they are and they don't negotiate that much on price too. I often look at some Honda's for a commuter car and once we talk priced, i was stunned because I usually can get a better lease on an Infiniti which cost almost double or buy a Lexus IS for a few grand more.. Honda Pricing is Ridiculous, its only for people that can't buy in the Lexus price range because they can't or don't want to spend over 30K for a sedan, and Honda knows this is why they don't negotiate price much and its the pricey-est in that car class.
Old 04-20-12, 12:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by nvslm
This is just silly, when you are comparing the AMG S65 to ILX. ILX just got on the market and I believe what edmunds saying is for older honda/acura model.

Using the AMG S65 example, then almost any other car model within toyota, honda, mazda, ford and etc will retain better value. It's not apple to apple comparison.
No its not silly a lot of you don't understand cars, act like you do b/c you can post a link and then get mad when someone that does know cars throws in a reality check.

No one is saying Honda/Acura does not retain value. They do, always have. They have a reputation with core buyers who continue to buy the product no matter what. What those of us with a clue are saying Acura tops out at 55k or so whereas real luxury brands top out at 200k even 400k. The higher priced the vehicle the more the depreciation. Acura woudn't know that b/c they don't sell in that market. So basically you have a bunch of 30k cars only dropping 5k in value and people saying "OMG WE RETAIN VALUE". The problem is real luxury brands have the problem of depreciation at the higher level. A LS or A8 or 6 series will drop tens of thousands in a year or two. That is what happens at the upper range of the market. So they have a harder time percentage wise "retaining value".

This happens every year, this list is posted, some happy CSX owner posts clueless to the luxury market.

Old 04-20-12, 12:39 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Also, Honda cars are way over priced for what they are and they don't negotiate that much on price too. I often look at some Honda's for a commuter car and once we talk priced, i was stunned because I usually can get a better lease on an Infiniti which cost almost double or buy a Lexus IS for a few grand more.. Honda Pricing is Ridiculous, its only for people that can't buy in the Lexus price range because they can't or don't want to spend over 30K for a sedan, and Honda knows this is why they don't negotiate price much and its the pricey-est in that car class.
What? Honda builds $30k sedans just like Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai/Kia, Ford, Chevrolet, Buick, Subaru, Volkswagen, Mazda, Chrysler, etc.. What makes all these cars worth more than the Honda? The Accord has always been worth more than these cars at resale and there's a reason why.
Old 04-20-12, 12:44 PM
nvslm
Driver School Candidate

You are correct that Acura cannot be compare to other like Lexus, Audi, BMW and Mercedes. They are in different class, hence I said it's silly when comparing Mercedes top tier to Acura lowest price model. It's not an apple to apple comparison. We can probably compare Acura TL to Lexus ES and IS to TSX but definitely not Acura vs Lexus because it's no comparison that Lexus won hand down with their LFA halo car.
Old 04-20-12, 01:06 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't believe they beat Toyota!
Old 04-20-12, 01:16 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS350jet
What? Honda builds $30k sedans just like Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai/Kia, Ford, Chevrolet, Buick, Subaru, Volkswagen, Mazda, Chrysler, etc.. What makes all these cars worth more than the Honda? The Accord has always been worth more than these cars at resale and there's a reason why.
Have you been INSIDE a Honda lately? Materials are really cheap now and alot worst than before, IMO cheaper materials than other brands for similiar pricing, and if you check Honda's are pricer.

Go on Honda.com and Build a Civic EX-L Loaded $24,395 and then go to Toyota.com and build a comparable car the Corolla LE Loaded $20,785..

The Accord EX-L which is their car right under $30K is price at $28,445 vs the comparable Toyota Camry LE with Leather is $25,334..

I suggest you price shop and get an understanding of where pricing is instead of speculating what you think.. yeah, the cars is in the same price range but like i said the Honda's are the PRICEST of this car class.. When you POST, have proof instead of speculating.. Thanx Good day!
Old 04-20-12, 01:27 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Have you been INSIDE a Honda lately? Materials are really cheap now and alot worst than before, IMO cheaper materials than other brands for similiar pricing, and if you check Honda's are pricer.

Go on Honda.com and Build a Civic EX-L Loaded $24,395 and then go to Toyota.com and build a comparable car the Corolla LE Loaded $20,785..

The Accord EX-L which is their car right under $30K is price at $28,445 vs the comparable Toyota Camry LE with Leather is $25,334.

I suggest you price shop and get an understanding of where pricing is instead of speculating what you think.. yeah, the cars is in the same price range but like i said the Honda's are the PRICEST of this car class.. When you POST, have proof instead of speculating.. Thanx Good day!
Camry XLE V6 is $30908 w/NAV $31508
Accord EX-L V6 is $28170.EX-L w/NAV $29730.

EX-l pricing will be closer with the new design '13 Accord.

Last edited by Joeb427; 04-20-12 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-20-12, 01:35 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427

Good point-- Honda EX-L is NOT comparable to Toyota LE; XLE is their top of the line.

However, I was just in the market for a cross over SUV. The Pilot Touring is thousands less than a Highlander Limited with Nav and DVD. But--as was said above, the interior looks and feels like it costs $1000s less.

In '04, when I bought my Pilot I just replaced (with a CX-9), the Highlander was $1000s more then too--but the difference was the Pilot didn't feel cheap inside then.

Last edited by tex2670; 04-20-12 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-20-12, 01:38 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Good point-- Honda EX-L is NOT comparable to Toyota LE; XLE is their top of the line.

However, I was just in the market for a cross over SUV. The Pilot Touring is thousands less than a Highlander Limited with Nav and DVD. But--as was said above, the interior looks and feels like it costs $1000s less.
and like all Honda's,it will have a rougher ride and a lot of road noise.
Old 04-20-12, 01:39 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joeb427

The car you built isn't a V6 thats the price of regular EX-L.

I just price the Accord EX-L V6 with NAV is $32,720

Its not under $30K but the Accord is still pricer..

Quick Reply: Edmunds: Honda and Acura best brands for retaining value