Hoovey2411
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (16)

Default Cadillac spotted testing bigger next-gen CTS

Cadillac spotted testing bigger next-gen CTS

Click the image to open in full size.

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-...photo-4968153/

There's an old newspaper adage that dictates: "Dog bites man" is not news. "Man bites dog," now that's news. In other words, the subversion of the usual order of things is what sells papers. And you might say the same about Cadillac. A Caddy getting bigger, by that logic, is hardly news, but a Caddy getting smaller sure is.

That's what makes the new ATS such a big step for the top-end of the General Motors brand portfolio. Occupying the place once taken by the Catera (which led to the CTS), that model now has to kick up a size to make room for its new baby brother. And so it appears to be doing.

These spy shots show what our intrepid auto paparazzi say is the next-gen CTS, applying the same Art & Science design language to a slightly larger form that's expected to switch from the Sigma II platform to a stretched version of The General's new rear-drive Alpha architecture.

In between the camouflage we can make out a new grille, projector headlamps with LED daytime runners, with radar sensors aplenty and dual exhaust tips around the back. Sources expect a 2.0-liter turbo four to come in with 270 horsepower as the base engine in the new CTS, with the 3.6-liter V6 also expected to be on offer as well as a turbo six sometime after production kicks off at Lansing Grand River Assembly in September 2013.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/17/c...-next-gen-cts/
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
|Version 3.5 |TLN #918|
GIANTS|NINERS|SHARKS|WARRIORS
Hoovey2411 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-12, 10:23 AM   #2
Hoovey2411
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (16)

Just as expected. The arrival of the ATS has pushed the CTS firmly in the midsize luxury sport sedan category. No longer will it straddle the two. Bigger, more expensive, and more luxury
|Version 3.5 |TLN #918|
GIANTS|NINERS|SHARKS|WARRIORS
Hoovey2411 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-12, 11:03 AM   #3
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411 View Post
Just as expected. The arrival of the ATS has pushed the CTS firmly in the midsize luxury sport sedan category. No longer will it straddle the two. Bigger, more expensive, and more luxury

By today's standards, the CTS, in both 1Gen and 2Gen versions, was always a mid-size car. If anything (again by today's standards), expanding it would push it into borderline or full-sized range.

The last true compact Cadillac, discounting the 2-seat Allante, was the ill-fated Cimarron of the 1980s (one of the worst-selling vehicles Cadillac ever produced). The Opel-derived Catera of the late 1990's was somewhat larger.... borderline mid-size car.
Old 04-17-12, 11:37 AM   #4
T0ked
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (2)

Since the CTS was designed to be a slightly larger 3 series, offering more room for less, it was always a straddler. Now they are clarifying their competition, ATS for the 3/C and CTS for the 5/E. Hopefully they are able to pull it off.

"Psychology is just meta-hacking an OS that was randomly bashed out by a million monkeys on typewriters over a few billion years and runs on constantly changing, badly shielded hardware with a lot of legacy design issues. I think."
T0ked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-12, 12:01 PM   #5
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (3)

Send a message via AIM to MPLexus301

With the advancements and engineering in the ATS, I am excited to see how the new CTS comes out
Old 04-18-12, 07:02 AM   #6
geko29
Oil Burner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
By today's standards, the CTS, in both 1Gen and 2Gen versions, was always a mid-size car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0ked View Post
Since the CTS was designed to be a slightly larger 3 series, offering more room for less, it was always a straddler.
I'm confused by this. I have an E46, which I fit in fine, front and back (well, not "behind myself" in the back). I also fit great in the new F30 (and could sit "behind myself" for short trips, ie <30 minutes). I don't fit in the current CTS, which is too bad, because I badly wanted a CTS-V before trying one out. Both the roof and the steering wheel are too low. I also didn't have the huge amount of legroom in the front seat, as I do in my car. I don't remember the situation in the back seat, as I gave up after trying the front.

I just don't see the current CTS as a mid-sized car, and can't understand how it falls into that class. I'm 6'4", BTW.

geko29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 07:07 AM   #7
LexFather
Trader Score: ()

Not sure how people are going to respond to CTS prices rising. It is very hard to move a car into a different market like that.

Seems almost like a LWB model for China or something.
Old 04-18-12, 11:25 AM   #8
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX View Post
Not sure how people are going to respond to CTS prices rising. It is very hard to move a car into a different market like that.

Seems almost like a LWB model for China or something.
Hmm..........I think Cadillac knows what it's doing. After all, the CTS-V (especially the wagon version) is *currently* America's only answer to an M5 or RS6 or E63 AMG or any other similar vehicle
Blackraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 12:39 PM   #9
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
I don't fit in the current CTS... Both the roof and the steering wheel are too low.
perhaps you have a long torso as i'm 6'3" and had no problem in a cts.
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-12, 08:02 AM   #10
oldcajun
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
perhaps you have a long torso as i'm 6'3" and had no problem in a cts.
I'm 6'3" and about 220 lb. Although I "fit" into the current CTS I could not sit behind myself nor would I be comfortable driving it for long periods. It is smaller inside than an ES350 and for me just too cramped to serve as my primary sedan. A larger size CTS even at a higher price makes sense to me now that the ATS fills the smaller and cheaper niche at the bottom of the Caddy range.

What doesn't make sense to me is the XTS which is not the flagship car they need. Maybe it goes away after the larger CTS becomes available.
Steve
oldcajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-12, 05:06 AM   #11
maxxteezy
Driver School Candidate

That looks like an xts, not a cts
maxxteezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-12, 07:17 AM   #12
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Hmm, the new STS? Maybe they'll get it right this time.
14 Accord
12 Ridgeline
05 S2000
caddyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-14, 12:56 PM   #14
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (1)

Default New 2016 Cadillac CTS-V Clears its Throat, Can You Tell if it's a Supercharged V8?

Quote:
Turn up the volume and squelch your eyes (seriously, what's with these pinched video formats?) to enjoy this spy video of the upcoming Cadillac CTS-V from the folks over at KGP Photograhpy.

Blame Cadillac's not so well thought out naming strategy, but let's just reiterate that the CTS-V is the flagship performance version of the series, which will reside on top of the existing CTS V-Sport that draws 420hp from a 3.6-liter twin-turbocharged V6 engine.

It has been said that the new 2016 CTS-V will probably borrow the 2015 Corvette Z06's 6.2-liter supercharged V8 in a different state of tune, which should bring output somewhere in the 600hp range to compete with the rest of the super saloons like BMW's 560hp M5 and Mercedes-Benz's 577hp E63 AMG.

Its hard to tell from the video and the included still shots, but it does look like the CTS-V will get a different aero-treatment for the front and rear ends than the lesser CTS V-Sport.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/04/new...lears-its.html
Vh_Supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-14, 07:26 AM   #15
tmf2004
10 years on Clublexus
Trader Score: (12)

anthonymichael34

That grill......

2011 Vossen Clublexus Contest Winner

1999 GS400
2012 Kia Optima SWP TURBO

Past: 88 Samurai--87 mustang LX GT conv--95 Mustang GT auto--97 Lexus Es300
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtotheJ View Post
Drone is overrated......let the V8 breathe!
tmf2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-14, 07:26 AM

Tags
2014, 30, ats, big, cadillac, california, club, cts, dual, exhauat, gen, larger, lexus, ls430, southern, spotted