Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2013 Infiniti JX35

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-12, 03:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by flyjets
We also looked at the GX closely. The GX is basically a luxurious V8 version of the 4Runner. BTW, I love my '10 4Runner! Again, the GX's 3rd row seat is useless unless the middle row is pushed up forward, in which case the middle row passengers will suffer; the JX doesn't have this problem. For a V8, GX is not any faster than the JX (0-60mph) and being a body on frame platform, the GX is not as smooth nor does it handle as well as the JX, not to mention the poor gas mileage of the GX. You're right though.... the GX should be a crossover! The GX has really good off roadin' characteristics but who's gonna take a $60k+ vehicle off roadin'? Besides, the 4Runner is a better choice for that!
If Lexus was smart, they'd build a true 7 seat competitor for the JX. I'd go with a Lexus over Infiniti, given the choice. BTW, the materials and design of the JX are just as nice as the Lexus, IMHO; Infiniti did it right this time!

Some good points. I agree with most of them. And I'm glad to see that you and your wife are enjoying the new JX.
Old 04-29-12, 05:47 PM
LexFather

We also looked at the GX closely. The GX is basically a luxurious V8 version of the 4Runner. BTW, I love my '10 4Runner! Again, the GX's 3rd row seat is useless unless the middle row is pushed up forward, in which case the middle row passengers will suffer; the JX doesn't have this problem. For a V8, GX is not any faster than the JX (0-60mph) and being a body on frame platform, the GX is not as smooth nor does it handle as well as the JX, not to mention the poor gas mileage of the GX. You're right though.... the GX should be a crossover! The GX has really good off roadin' characteristics but who's gonna take a $60k+ vehicle off roadin'? Besides, the 4Runner is a better choice for that!
If Lexus was smart, they'd build a true 7 seat competitor for the JX. I'd go with a Lexus over Infiniti, given the choice. BTW, the materials and design of the JX are just as nice as the Lexus, IMHO; Infiniti did it right this time!
Actually the GX is a luxurious version of the overseas Prado and the JX is a luxurious version of the Nissan Pathfinder. Many people find the GX 3rd row fine and the power seat drop into the floor is an awesome feature. The V-8 in the GX is not about acceleration it is about torque and the ability to pull cargo which the GX trumps over the JX which uses the extremely old 3.5 V-6 from a decade ago with among the worst power ratings in class or any luxury SUV of that size. Acceleration for both I assume is about the same. The GX is a true off-roader and the JX is not so apples to oranges. You save a whopping 3 MPG over the GX as the JX gets pretty terrible MPG since the engine is so old.

The GX has its intended market like the JX has its intended market. Some of us are not impressed with such a late entry with no class leading abilities or features outside of "OMG I have 4 cameras to see around me b/c I can't park".

If Infiniti were "smart" they would have introduced something like this ages ago, like how Lexus did with the first car based luxury SUV RX 15 years ago or even Acura did with the 7 seat MDX a decade ago.

Old 04-29-12, 06:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Actually the GX is a luxurious version of the overseas Prado and the JX is a luxurious version of the Nissan Pathfinder.
You're talking about the new upcoming Pathfinder, right? The present one has a completely different (body-on-frame) platform from the JX, which, of course, is unibody.

Many people find the GX 3rd row fine and the power seat drop into the floor is an awesome feature. The V-8 in the GX is not about acceleration it is about torque and the ability to pull cargo which the GX trumps over the JX which uses the extremely old 3.5 V-6 from a decade ago with among the worst power ratings in class or any luxury SUV of that size. Acceleration for both I assume is about the same. The GX is a true off-roader and the JX is not so apples to oranges. You save a whopping 3 MPG over the GX as the JX gets pretty terrible MPG since the engine is so old.

The GX has its intended market like the JX has its intended market. Some of us are not impressed with such a late entry with no class leading abilities or features outside of "OMG I have 4 cameras to see around me b/c I can't park".
Agreed, but the market for off-road-capable SUVs keeps shrinking all the time, as cities grow and expand. Only 4-5% of SUV owners (if that) actually go off-road. In fact, some insurance companies actually won't cover damage off-road.

If Infiniti were "smart" they would have introduced something like this ages ago, .
You and I can both agree that, outside of mid-size sedans, their marketing has had a number of problems.
Old 04-29-12, 06:23 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You're talking about the new upcoming Pathfinder, right? The present one has a completely different (body-on-frame) platform from the JX, which, of course, is unibody.

Agreed, but the market for off-road-capable SUVs keeps shrinking all the time, as cities grow and expand. Only 4-5% of SUV owners (if that) actually go off-road. In fact, some insurance companies actually won't cover damage off-road.

You and I can both agree that, outside of mid-size sedans, their marketing has had a number of problems.
Mike see below....the Pathfinder, JX, Murano all new will now share platforms, built in Tennessee and the Pathfinder also gains 7 seats. This is what the market wants and its a good move. Most are not educated in cars and see a couple numbers and figures and buy.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...py-photos-news
For 2013, the Pathfinder will go back to using unibody construction, and back to sharing its platform with an Infiniti—in this case, the glitzy new JX, as well Nissan’s manicured Murano. For the first time, then, the Pathfinder will be based on a front-wheel-drive platform. Count on all-wheel-drive being an option.
Interiors are similar in the Nissan dash style. Nissan has done a great job improving interiors.

Old 04-29-12, 06:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Mike see below....the Pathfinder, JX, Murano all new will now share platforms, built in Tennessee and the Pathfinder also gains 7 seats. This is what the market wants and its a good move. Most are not educated in cars and see a couple numbers and figures and buy.
Yes, thanks, that's what I meant...the upcoming 2013 Pathfinder. They are (once again) dumping the body-on-frame platform, just like they did for the 1-2Gen model. (the present 3Gen went back to unibody).

[

Great picture Its new interior looks almost as nice as the JX's.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-29-12 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-29-12, 08:28 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

finally got a look at a JX for myself this past weekend, and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised as how much I liked it. The exterior STILL, to me, has a bit of a wierd catfish look to it, but it is not as offensive as the HULKING QX(which I used to like,,new PATROL based one needs to disappear). In ALOT of ways, the truck reminded me of the Toyota Hylander, as far as relative dimension, size, and even a bit in the appearance; and that was not all together a bad thing. I know they are 2 different companies, but it seems as if Infiniti is at least STARTING to listen, think, and head down the right path. I did not take it for a drive, but from an asthethic view,, I liked it.
Old 04-30-12, 12:06 AM
flyjets
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually the GX is a luxurious version of the overseas Prado and the JX is a luxurious version of the Nissan Pathfinder. Many people find the GX 3rd row fine and the power seat drop into the floor is an awesome feature. The V-8 in the GX is not about acceleration it is about torque and the ability to pull cargo which the GX trumps over the JX which uses the extremely old 3.5 V-6 from a decade ago with among the worst power ratings in class or any luxury SUV of that size. Acceleration for both I assume is about the same. The GX is a true off-roader and the JX is not so apples to oranges. You save a whopping 3 MPG over the GX as the JX gets pretty terrible MPG since the engine is so old.

If Infiniti were "smart" they would have introduced something like this ages ago, like how Lexus did with the first car based luxury SUV RX 15 years ago or even Acura did with the 7 seat MDX a decade ago.
GX and JX are apples and oranges... you're right. The GX is for wannabe yuppy offroaders who really will never take it offroading because everyone out there will kick its a$$. It has mediocre power for towing and its V8 is nothing write home about. Why do you think the 4Runner does not have an option for this V8? It's pointless! The GX really is in the "no man's land", hence not at all a popular Lexus SUV, because if you really wanted a true Lexus SUV, one would opt for the LX or the Land Cruiser. I'm sure price of the LX/Land Cruiser is big reason why most can't/won't buy one.
As for the JX, it is a great alternative to a minivan that has a true "7 seat" configuration, who want a little luxury. It doesn't claim to be a wannabe offroader nor is it designed for towing around big toys. It's a nice family CUV... a mall vehicle/occassional trips to Mammoth for skiing. That's it! It doesn't have an identity problem like some of these SUVs who are really CUVs. There are only a handful of true SUVs out there anymore.
There's no vehicle out there like the JX. It's the right size & roomy (3rd row with enough head and leg room), luxurious, versatile, sporty, and somewhat economical. We went through 4 vehicles in less than 3 years before we bought the JX. We've owned a MB R350. It was roomy but under powered and ugly. Then we bought a MB GL450. It was a nice vehicle with plenty of power and plenty of room for 7. The technology on it was way behind the times and it was very thirsty; it had many mechnical issues as well... well, all our Mercedes did. Then we opted for the GL350 (turbo diesel). I loved the turbo diesel with awesome torque and great MPG. It also had some mechanical issues. By then, I was fed up visiting the dealership on my days off and I was done with Merdeces. BTW, we bought all of them brand new so I have no former owners to blame! The redesigned '11 QX56 came out so we decided to give it a shot. I personally loved everything about it. Yes, even the front end, which alot of people hate. It had the technology, awesome power and acceleration/torque (you wanna talk about towing capability?!?!), and lots of room. The problem.... wife got tired of filling up every couple of days and it was a little too big for her taste. In the end, the JX was a no brainer for us. We only wish it came out sooner!
Old 05-01-12, 09:10 PM
LexFather

GX and JX are apples and oranges... you're right. The GX is for wannabe yuppy offroaders who really will never take it offroading because everyone out there will kick its a$$.
Not sure why you are beating up the GX? Its a higher class car and a completely different type of SUV. Then its for yuppy off-roaders? What does that make the JX? Blind, yuppy people that don't know anything about cars?

Lexus clearly has ignored the 7 seat car based luxury SUV market but looking at sales thus far they don't seem to mind missing this niche. Maybe they will offer something in the future. Infiniit being damn near a SUV brand has tons of focus on SUVs trying to help their dismal sales. There is no doubt it was a good move for the brand and first month sales saved the brand from falling off the face of the earth.

It has mediocre power for towing and its V8 is nothing write home about. Why do you think the 4Runner does not have an option for this V8? It's pointless! The GX really is in the "no man's land", hence not at all a popular Lexus SUV, because if you really wanted a true Lexus SUV, one would opt for the LX or the Land Cruiser. I'm sure price of the LX/Land Cruiser is big reason why most can't/won't buy one.
You have it confused. The JX is mediocre on power with a class low 265hp yet a 7 seater. The newest car in this class with the least power. The GX is for towing, its not for speeding so you have no point. The GX has always met and even exceeded sale targets as well. Its not meant to sell like a RX.
As for the JX, it is a great alternative to a minivan that has a true "7 seat" configuration, who want a little luxury. It doesn't claim to be a wannabe offroader nor is it designed for towing around big toys. It's a nice family CUV... a mall vehicle/occassional trips to Mammoth for skiing. That's it! It doesn't have an identity problem like some of these SUVs who are really CUVs. There are only a handful of true SUVs out there anymore. !
Another GX jab? The GX is a real off-roader for that that want the capability or want the image. What is a true SUV? The JX hit a sweet spot with price and quite frankly ANY luxury SUV sells with some space. Its not rocket science. THe brand has an identity problem sadly and you'll be lucky if anyone knows what a JX is. Infiniti tries to market as a performance brand but they now offer 2 SUVs that offer absolutely no performance. They have enough identity issues as it is.

There's no vehicle out there like the JX!
lol wut? The Buick Enclave and Acura MDX as well as GMC/Chevy/Exlporer etc etc all were there before it. Its simply another 7 seat SUV entry.

.QUOTE=flyjets;7198904]JX was a no brainer for us. We only wish it came out sooner![/QUOTE]

And if it makes you two happy that is all that matters.

Old 05-02-12, 07:17 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Not sure why you are beating up the GX? Its a higher class car and a completely different type of SUV. Then its for yuppy off-roaders? What does that make the JX? Blind, yuppy people that don't know anything about cars?

Lexus clearly has ignored the 7 seat car based luxury SUV market but looking at sales thus far they don't seem to mind missing this niche. Maybe they will offer something in the future. Infiniit being damn near a SUV brand has tons of focus on SUVs trying to help their dismal sales. There is no doubt it was a good move for the brand and first month sales saved the brand from falling off the face of the earth.

You have it confused. The JX is mediocre on power with a class low 265hp yet a 7 seater. The newest car in this class with the least power. The GX is for towing, its not for speeding so you have no point. The GX has always met and even exceeded sale targets as well. Its not meant to sell like a RX.

Another GX jab? The GX is a real off-roader for that that want the capability or want the image. What is a true SUV? The JX hit a sweet spot with price and quite frankly ANY luxury SUV sells with some space. Its not rocket science. THe brand has an identity problem sadly and you'll be lucky if anyone knows what a JX is. Infiniti tries to market as a performance brand but they now offer 2 SUVs that offer absolutely no performance. They have enough identity issues as it is.

lol wut? The Buick Enclave and Acura MDX as well as GMC/Chevy/Exlporer etc etc all were there before it. Its simply another 7 seat SUV entry.

.QUOTE=flyjets;7198904]JX was a no brainer for us. We only wish it came out sooner!
And if it makes you two happy that is all that matters.[/QUOTE]

There is no more anti-Lexus or GX bashing in this thread than there are JX jabs.
Old 05-02-12, 07:32 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex

There is no more anti-Lexus or GX bashing in this thread than there are JX jabs.

Old 05-02-12, 09:59 AM
flyjets
Driver School Candidate

"lol wut? The Buick Enclave and Acura MDX as well as GMC/Chevy/Exlporer etc etc all were there before it. Its simply another 7 seat SUV entry.
And if it makes you two happy that is all that matters. "

They claim to have 7 seats but they are far from being a real 7 seater since even dwarfs can barely fit in the last row. Yeah, I went and sat in EVERY one of them and then some. Besides, none of them are "luxury" class.There are only a handful of "true" 7 seat "luxury" SUVs that can seat seven 6 ft. tall human beings: Mercedes GL, Mercedes R, Lexus LX, Toyota Land Cruiser, Toyota Sequoia (though not luxury class but nice!), Infiniti QX, Cadillac Escalade (uselss 3rd row). Others may claim to have 7 seats, but they are not "true" 7 seaters. I've sat in all of them and owned four of them-MB GL450, GL350, R, and Infiniti QX56.

Your arguments would be more credible if you actually test drove a JX and explored a bit with the JX. I understand your loyalty towards Lexus; it is after all a Lexus forum. Mercedes and bimmer forums bash these rice burners. Oh, the ****** I got when I bought the QX56.... it was actually pretty funny to read some of the comments-talk about ego-maniacs! What's funny is that Lexus came from very humble beginnings of Toyota and Infiniti from Nissan/Datsun. In Japan, Toyota, Nissan, and Mitsubishi are the most recognized national brands when it comes to automobiles. BTW, most Japanese don't care for the Honda brand, believe it or not. Honda is considered the economy vehicle. I lived in Japan for 3 years. So, as much as there are arguments about who amongst the Japaness vehicles are superior, the build and the quality of these Japanese vehicles are about equal. Each of these companies share a sense of perfection and pride of workmanship; that's the Japanese people as we know it. At the end of the day, it only matters to the eye of the beholder anyway.

Infiniti JX35 is a big break through, IMO. It is a true 7 seat luxury CUV; it's an excellent choice for those who don't want a behemoth SUV. The JX has ample power, 265 HP and 248 ft-lb torque, which is plenty for this vehicle. Most urban folks won't be doing any towing (can tow up to 3500 lbs.) or going off road (has intelligent AWD if you need it). It drives like a nice sedan-quiet, smooth, and has lots of neat gadgets. I've owned several cars and I gotta say, I like how this thing drives, as a family vehicle that is. Other automakers have missed the boat in this segment. Oh, and YES..... we are happy with the JX. Thanks for caring, brotha!

Last edited by flyjets; 05-02-12 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-27-12, 09:29 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks Mike for a nice review as always.

My sister put a deposit for a new JX AWD, relocated from another dealer. She tested out all 7-seater SUVs and seems the JX fits her family best (already has a 7-seater 2011 Pilot). Her company has a car buying program in which she gets about 10% off MSRP WITHOUT negotiations. Got $46150 for a $51000 car.
Old 08-27-12, 09:54 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

GX and JX are apples and oranges... you're right. The GX is for wannabe yuppy offroaders who really will never take it offroading because everyone out there will kick its a$$.
Wannabe?
I'm sure you're not here to find an answer, but it is capable of offroading.
The GX guys are knowledgeable so they can answer that.

I was an ex-GX owner and it's true that I never took it offroading. Me, like the majority of the owners took it to the pediatrician's office, Baby's R Us, grocery,...

I wish I did though when the guys on the GX forum had their excursions.

At least the GX can go offroading if needed while the JX (like you said) is not intended for offroading.

I will criticize that the GX has an awful storage when the 3rd row seats are down.

Congratulations on your JX.
No one here is trying to convince anyone anything otherwise

EDIT: whoa, didn't see the 4 month old thread. Didn't want to stir any pot here, just wanted to respond lightly.

Last edited by GS3Tek; 08-27-12 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-04-13, 04:03 PM
mmorozov
Driver

I am usually hanging out in the LS460 area and was surprised to see the Infiniti JX discussion here. Well, I just got one for my wife, who used to drive the Honda Odyssey, but was envious of the LS460 prestige factor. It was a challenging decision, we looked at literally all current offerings that could pass for a 7-8 seater. You have to realize that a full-size minivan, like Odyssey is indispensable for a family with 3 kids, mother-in-law and frequent visitors. So I figured that we could keep the old Ody for the family chores, like furniture hauling and driving to Mexico, but get something more nimble for the daily drives, where ample van-like roominess is not a priority. With that in mind we thoroughly looked at:

Mercedes GL350
Audi Q7
Lexus RX, LX, GX
Infiniti QX56, JX35
Ford Flex
Lincoln MKT
Cadillac Escalade

And by thoroughly I mean multiple comparative test-drives, in-depth research and an Excel spreadsheet of pros and cons and ratings on all important (to us) features. We went back and forth and almost bought Q7 and then MB GL350. But eventually the JX emerged as a winner. It is the most well-rounded 7 seater and while it may not feel as good on the road as Audi Q7 or doesn't have the prestige factor of the Mercedes, it scores high (if not highest) points in all relevant categories and doesn't have any serious trade-offs. For example, I loved the new SYNC computer in Ford Flex and Lincoln MKT, but the boxy ugliness of Ford and Yoda-sized 3rd row in MKT was difficult to overlook. Similarly, I was put off by poor gas mileage and size of QX and Cadillac. MB GL350 was the second runner-up, but it's sticker price when loaded was at $86K and the reliability ratings were very low.

Lexus shoot themselves in the foot with the new "joystick" nav. I was driving the new ES350 service loaner for 4 days and I couldn't believe the poor usability of that thing and the amount of attention it requires. JX just shines in comparison and the ability to use both the touch screen and the control **** is ingenious. I find myself using the **** for almost everything except keyboard entry and map tapping. It is precise, has immediate feedback and I can do many things without peeling my eyes to the screen.

The driving feel of the CVT didn't bother me at all. In fact I didn't pay any attention to it until I was told that it's there. It has enough power to propel this car comfortably, the ride overall is confident and serene. It may not win the main prize for cornering and body roll, but whoever thinks it should handle like a sports car should set their priorities straight. There are a lot of things this car is not (it cannot fly among other things), but it is an extremely well executed family car with very little to fault or rather bicker about.
Old 02-04-13, 05:12 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

The Infiniti JX is extremely popular here in the DC suburbs. I see them everywhere all the time. Everybody is way too hung up on power. It's not a rocketship but is hardly a "slow" vehicle. I like their looks.

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2013 Infiniti JX35