Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Ford Mustang to ditch retro look in favor of futuristic Evos styling?

Old 04-16-12, 12:55 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Next Ford Mustang to ditch retro look in favor of futuristic Evos styling?

WSJ's Matt Ramsey suggests next Ford Mustang to ditch retro look in favor of futuristic Evos styling?

Matt Ramsey from The Wall Street Journal claims that the next-generation Ford Mustang will be ditching its '60s-inspired retro styling. Citing people familiar with Ford's plans who have seen the new Mustang, Ramsey claims the new model will look more like the 2013 Fusion and be a dead ringer for the Evos concept car that debuted at the Frankfurt Motor Show last fall. The reason for abandoning the retro-inspired styling, says Ramsey, is Ford's desire to appeal to Generation Y consumers – people born between 1980 and 1999.

It may very well be the case that the next Mustang, which Ramsey says will be a 2014 model (we suspect it will be labeled a 2015), will look a lot like the Evos concept, but we don't buy some of the author's reasoning for why the Stang's retro look might be going away. He cites declining sales of certain retro-styled vehicles like the Volkswagen Beetle and Mustang itself, but having just experienced an economic recession, many models saw their sales decline during the past two years compared to prior peaks, not just ones with retro styling. In particular, he cites Volkswagen selling just 6,468 units of the New Beetle last year compared with over 81,000 in 2000, but last year was that generation's final year of sales. It has been replaced with the all-new-but-equally-retro 2012 Beetle, sales of which are up 2,722 percent so far in 2012.

And as for the Mustang, after enjoying a competition-free pony car market from 2002-2010, it's now sharing that segment's sales with worthy competition from both Chevrolet and Dodge. Its sales are certainly below their peaks from last decade, but again, a recession and new competition where there was none before will do that.

So while we have no reason to argue against Ramsey's claim about the next Mustang moving away from its retro roots, we're not sure we buy his evidence for the reason behind it.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/16/n...uturistic-evo/
Old 04-16-12, 01:02 PM
Hoovey689

Personally I'd rather see the Mustang keep its retro pony car-esque ness and V8 while preferably another smaller RWD sports coupe to tackle the G37 and Genesis Coupe comes to fruition
Old 04-16-12, 01:28 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Personally I'd rather see the Mustang keep its retro pony car-esque ness and V8 while preferably another smaller RWD sports coupe to tackle the G37 and Genesis Coupe comes to fruition
Yep... and SECOND time the Aston Martin-copycat front end has shown up after the Fusion... which, I will admit, I like!!!
Old 04-16-12, 01:33 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I said it a thousand times. It should look like the Giugiaro Mustang concept.
Old 04-16-12, 01:37 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very happy about this, so sick of the pony-car look. It looks like a cheap piece of plastic when it has the innards of a possible sports car. Ford needs to make a REAL sports coupe with IRS for once. That Coyote motor in that car is like running $10k rims on a $500 car.

What's to tackle about the G37 and Genesis coupe? I'd say it's more of a runaway train over them (370z included). I can't even imagine how awesome my Z would be with a Coyote motor o.O
Old 04-16-12, 02:01 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Bean
Very happy about this, so sick of the pony-car look. It looks like a cheap piece of plastic when it has the innards of a possible sports car. Ford needs to make a REAL sports coupe with IRS for once. That Coyote motor in that car is like running $10k rims on a $500 car.

What's to tackle about the G37 and Genesis coupe? I'd say it's more of a runaway train over them (370z included). I can't even imagine how awesome my Z would be with a Coyote motor o.O
What's to tackle about the G37 and Genesis coupe?
Because I don't consider them even natural competitors to the Mustang V6 or V8 guise. Doesn't matter much if the V6 can be compared on paper with the other two, a pony car/muscle car and sports car are two different things with two different missions.

so sick of the pony-car look
Part of the Mustang's heritage and nostalgia comes from its retro looks. The Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger are in a league of their own - and quite possibly the upcoming Chrysler Barracuda

Ford needs to make a REAL sports coupe with IRS for once
regardless of the exterior, the next Mustang will have IRS and a nicer interior. But that's just it Ford needs to make a REAL sports coupe NOT using the Mustang moniker but rather new. Something true to be a Z, G, GC competitor. There is plenty of room for the Mustang and a new RWD coupe, not to mention the next GT supercar replacement.

Long live American muscle
Old 04-16-12, 08:41 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't hold my breath... don't forget, this was originally designed as a Mustang replacement until enough people complained.

So futuristic!
Old 04-17-12, 12:09 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Im glad to hear this. The retro styling, retro music, and redoing movies old movies is getting a little nuts. We need fresh designs, new music, and original movies
Old 04-17-12, 12:28 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 155 Likes on 91 Posts

I've been hoping for this for years. The Big Three have been stuck in the past simply because they have lacked talent and the ability to step into and create the future. For decades, they were styling leaders. Then things fell apart in the 90's and retro tried filling in the hole. If Ford can actually create a modern, sporty coupe that is fresh and futuristic, that model in itself will be the new classic thirty years from now. They did it a long time ago, with cars like the original Mustang. Time to be leaders again.
Old 04-17-12, 02:36 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know what to think about this honestly. It was really cool to see that Ford came out with a retro-design in 2005 and it started a new market for modern muscle cars. I think that the power craze for the mustang has gone a little out of hand though. There is only so much you can do to a car like that. Eventually, if they want a better handling car that can put down all those crazy HP numbers they will need to make the car lower, wider, more aerodynamic etc. it would just change the whole car. Like mentioned above it would be really cool if they kept the mustang but made something a little bit above it's scale. Then again the problem their would be the pricing of this new sports car. There are a lot of possibilities...
Old 04-17-12, 05:34 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Because I don't consider them even natural competitors to the Mustang V6 or V8 guise. Doesn't matter much if the V6 can be compared on paper with the other two, a pony car/muscle car and sports car are two different things with two different missions.
Have you driven a new GT yet? Especially one with the sports package? On smooth pavement that doesn't aggravate the solid-axle rear, the Mustang will hang right with the G37/370z in terms of grip and outright leave the G37 in the dust in terms of transitions and power out of corners, the 370z still handles better, but not by much.

Part of the Mustang's heritage and nostalgia comes from its retro looks. The Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger are in a league of their own - and quite possibly the upcoming Chrysler Barracuda
How's that? Because the 1984-2004? era never happened? Those Mustangs didn't look so retro to me. I think the retro look of the Mustang is one of it's worst qualities, but then again I feel the past is the past and retro-look vehicles only belong in special editions.

regardless of the exterior, the next Mustang will have IRS and a nicer interior. But that's just it Ford needs to make a REAL sports coupe NOT using the Mustang moniker but rather new. Something true to be a Z, G, GC competitor. There is plenty of room for the Mustang and a new RWD coupe, not to mention the next GT supercar replacement.
I hope so regarding the IRS, interior quality, and a few other things (a modern looking car would be great). I don't see Ford making a competitor to Mustang sales. I wouldn't mind a separate car, but I don't see it happening.

Long live American muscle
+1

Originally Posted by adamls2
I don't know what to think about this honestly. It was really cool to see that Ford came out with a retro-design in 2005 and it started a new market for modern muscle cars. I think that the power craze for the mustang has gone a little out of hand though. There is only so much you can do to a car like that. Eventually, if they want a better handling car that can put down all those crazy HP numbers they will need to make the car lower, wider, more aerodynamic etc. it would just change the whole car. Like mentioned above it would be really cool if they kept the mustang but made something a little bit above it's scale. Then again the problem their would be the pricing of this new sports car. There are a lot of possibilities...
Exactly the way I feel! This car stopped being a 'pony car' when it became a budget version of the Corvette. Time to make the next step.
Old 04-17-12, 05:41 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've always said the last modern Mustang was the one in 2000. Personally I never liked the 05 retro thing but it did relight the flame of muscle car wars. Thanks to "old retro looking" Mustang we got Camaro and Challenger back.

Now it's time to move on and go contemporary, again!
Old 04-17-12, 06:52 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Classics should stay Classics. A 2012 Mustang next to a 67' - 69' Fastback looks just plain silly, but they did a decent job with the retro styling, (except for the rear end, bleh.)

they should keep some of the styling cues, but like the earlier post of lowering and widening the base platform would be a plus, that would give it a more aggressive stance.
Old 04-17-12, 11:17 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Boo... I'm part of that age range and I LOVE the retro styling!
Old 04-17-12, 11:29 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They can only keep refreshing this body for so much longer. It looked good in 05. I think it's looking a bit tired now. They're going to have to redesign it sooner or later. That mock-up/concept looks good, very muscular while retaining the new corporate face. I liked the 94-04 styling, still very Mustang. I think they should keep the current suspension for the die-hards and to keep the price down. Offer IRS for upscale trim like they do now so they can justify higher prices and not just because of bigger engines.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Next Ford Mustang to ditch retro look in favor of futuristic Evos styling?