Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Ford Mustang to ditch retro look in favor of futuristic Evos styling?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-12, 12:27 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One comment on this was:
Originally Posted by Worldcarfans
If the reports are correct, Ford is playing a dangerous game by eliminating the car's classic lines.

Read more: http://www.worldcarfans.com/11204174...#ixzz1sKMvC1S1
Only time will tell as to what the outcome of such a daring and risky move will be.........
Old 04-17-12, 10:30 PM
Haitwun
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am well within generation Y and I love the current Mustang styling.
Old 04-17-12, 11:32 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I love the current Mustang, but it's design is getting a little old. I see them EVERYWHERE now and it's kind of annoying.
Old 07-16-12, 06:15 AM
Redtallman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mustang do have irs. it was on the cobra. Also thunderbird supercoupe had irs.
Attached Thumbnails Next Ford Mustang to ditch retro look in favor of futuristic Evos styling?-t_irs.jpg  

Last edited by Redtallman; 07-16-12 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-17-12, 07:20 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Im glad to hear this. The retro styling, retro music, and redoing movies old movies is getting a little nuts. We need fresh designs, new music, and original movies
A major reason we're seeing a lot of "retro" products is the same for "old" music and retreaded movies: they have a proven audience. When money's tight for a manufacturer, just like in the music or movie business, they'd rather go with something that has a track record rather than strike out in a new direction whose acceptance is unknown.

Originally Posted by T0ked
They can only keep refreshing this body for so much longer. It looked good in 05. I think it's looking a bit tired now. They're going to have to redesign it sooner or later. That mock-up/concept looks good, very muscular while retaining the new corporate face. I liked the 94-04 styling, still very Mustang. I think they should keep the current suspension for the die-hards and to keep the price down. Offer IRS for upscale trim like they do now so they can justify higher prices and not just because of bigger engines.
Originally Posted by Redtallman
mustang do have irs. it was on the cobra. Also thunderbird supercoupe had irs.
Although I owned a '67 'Stang and love the retro look that expresses the spirit of the original in a new idiom, I'm beginning to think it's time to move on. The Mustang, although it was really just a Ford Falcon with a lot of plastic surgery, was in its day, a game-changer for the industry. It is and always will be an American icon, but maybe it's time to let go of the muscle-car and respond to the economic reality around us.

Gas at $3.25 a gallon and fewer places to really wring out a "performance" car being available to most of us are a couple of the new realities we must address today. OK, we have some new realities in the form of federal regulations for the basics: side-door impact, rollover protection, headlight placement, bumper height, fuel economy, and dozens of other small but expensive to meet requirements face today's automaker. Muscle cars were all about torque. Straight line acceleration was king - never mind that you couldn't turn at the end of the strip, let alone stop - you'd won . . . well, it was a comforting thought - just before you went through the fence.

How would you build a mainstream car with some actual performance characteristics today? Remember that the Mustang (like the other pony cars) was largely the creation of parts-bin engineers to keep costs down. If you want a real Aston-Martin with purpose-built frame, suspension, driveline, brakes and engines, there's no way out, you're going to have to pay Aston-Martin prices. Hang styling, anybody can do that, it's the guts that cost money - especially when you apply them to a new, unproven product.

Both Ford and Chevy are introducing big V6 engines, manual transmissions, and "track" packages to their existing retro-pony car lines. While they don't have the throaty rumble of a V8, they do produce some pretty impressive numbers at the track - considering the mileage figures. Those who have driven the prototypes say they are the future of the Mustang and Camaro, with not just the image, but the performance of their bloodline. Could this be the attempt to produce a rolling chassis first, much as the 260 V8 Falcons that appeared 18 months before the Mustang? Drop that Evos concept body on that frame and you have a package that with the "performance" package could leave the showroom for well under $30K. Purists who actually believe IRS would be a significant improvement can tick off that number on the options list and have it - like the Cobra - as a bolt-on (factory) option.

OK, that's one option, but there are others. A complete overhaul of the brand might put a high-revving turbo 4-cyl in the engine room that combined with a lightweight chassis, say from the Focus family, fitted as a 2+2 coupe with a Evos - like body could redefine the sporty-car class. Of course it wouldn't be a Mustang in the classic sense, but maybe it's time for a change . . . . ?
Old 07-17-12, 10:41 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I welcome a fresh looking mustang. The retro styling is to old. Its out with the ld and in with the new. Not out with the new and in with the old