Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NEW Infiniti G with 530-hp Twin-Turbo V-6 is coming

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-12, 06:14 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts
Default NEW Infiniti G with 530-hp Twin-Turbo V-6 is coming

I'll tell you all I know, but no tape recorders. Only a notepad, thanks. And be prepared, because some of the things you will hear may shock you, including some juicy details about the 530-hp high performance model," blurted our insider.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/future/fut...#ixzz1rvT7KokG
Old 04-13-12, 06:48 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

Sorry, not paying $110k for a G37 (he says it'll be a "bit more" than a GT-R, which currently starts at $97k). I don't give a turkey if it does have 530hp.
Old 04-13-12, 09:56 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

not really buying into it

not to mention this rendering looks a tad overdone

Old 04-13-12, 10:51 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Its to big of a jump in price for their cars. I think a 65-70 K sedan with 530 HP would be more appropriate
Old 04-13-12, 10:55 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are they predicting a 500+ hp M3 in the future to compete with? Seems like it.

However, the pricing is quite inflated...
Old 04-13-12, 11:59 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Are they predicting a 500+ hp M3 in the future to compete with? Seems like it.

However, the pricing is quite inflated...
yeah. for that price you'd expect like an M sized/caliber coupe to compete against say M6, CL etc.. not the G which competes against 3,C,A,IS (and their M, AMG, S, F variants) for around their 60-70K range
Old 04-13-12, 12:34 PM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People wanted an IPL G to rival the M3. They'll get it but they'll get the price tag associated with that too. I can't imagine the car being six figures - that would be too high for any "G" car. The only way a six figure halo car is palatable is if it has its own sheet metal and designation.

Infiniti really has something going with the Emerge concept in terms of looks and drive train/performance. I hope that does not become simply another one and done design statement like the Essence concept.
Old 04-13-12, 12:35 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, but I am not digging the Infinity "I"m melting" design language. It's almost as bad as neon colors coming back in fashion.
Old 04-13-12, 12:50 PM
LexFather

Infiniti has IPLs currently sitting on lots heavily discounted at the 50k-55k asking price and they think they are going to sell it for double the price? Am I missing something?

What about the rest of the article?

Hatchback to be made in Austria based off Benz platform
Leaf based car made in Japan and tennesse
Next G to share platform and engines with C-class. How can it be "unique Japan performance" with the car sharing platforms with a German car?
Benz/Infiniti 4 cylinders made in Tennessee

Summer of 2014? They can't mess the G up, its 60-65% of their sales. I just can't believe Nissan can't build cars themselves.

Old 04-13-12, 01:08 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Infiniti has IPLs currently sitting on lots heavily discounted at the 50k-55k asking price and they think they are going to sell it for double the price? Am I missing something?

Next G to share platform and engines with C-class. How can it be "unique Japan performance" with the car sharing platforms with a German car?

Summer of 2014? They can't mess the G up, its 60-65% of their sales. I just can't believe Nissan can't build cars themselves.
A hatch could be cool, especially to compete with the CT and the german onslaught of A Class, B Class, A1, A3.

They should really just dump the EX35, its existence is futile.

The G needs to be a knockout for them considering the M has floundered
Old 04-13-12, 01:36 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

A lot of fish in this article. Anyway, it says that only the 4 cylinder diesel will be borrowed from MB. At the same time Nissan is sharing elements with MB, let's not forget that. Basically, it's Infininti partnering with Benz on certain products. Nissan, it appears, continues to build its own cars just fine. At least the American line-up is all Nissan derived.
Old 04-15-12, 08:29 PM
VIPG35
Lead Lap

Infiniti resale value sucks. Pass
Old 04-15-12, 08:56 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Im sure the price is over exaggerated, but that is usually normal cause a high exaggerated price on a rumored to be car is usually a direct relationship to how great the car will be, somehow it triggers the emotion to think beyond what a normal G would be
Old 04-16-12, 01:41 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not going to happen, at least not successfully. Make a decent base-model G car to start with first, the current one makes decent power but is an overweight pig and many dislike the looks (too much to ask for that pricepoint).

A RWD Z with a detuned GTR engine would probably do well in the $50-60k bracket since the GTRs are getting more and more expensive every year. But I definitely don't seen an Infiniti twin of the GTR doing very well.
Old 04-16-12, 01:58 PM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Bean
Not going to happen, at least not successfully. Make a decent base-model G car to start with first, the current one makes decent power but is an overweight pig and many dislike the looks (too much to ask for that pricepoint).
The current G37 is still one of the best performers in its class. Looks are subjective but it looks good - good enough to consistently be a very good seller. It is getting a little dated like the Lexus IS - looking forward to see the next generation cars of both lines.

Also I think the price point of a such a high powered G will be no where near the GTR's price point. I think the interview's pricing has more to do with Japan. An true high performance IPL G will be in line with the M3 and C AMG cars in North America.

Quick Reply: NEW Infiniti G with 530-hp Twin-Turbo V-6 is coming