Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LFA II Rumors: Twice the Car, Twice the Price

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-13, 09:58 AM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it does come into reality, it probably wont be available until year 2025 anyways. Only saying that because it took like 10 years to make the LFA
Old 10-31-13, 09:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
I think a LFA II would be cool, but what Lexus REALLY needs is a $100k sports car that will be much more visible, so people really start to associate the brand with "performance" and "high cost". Only then can they really start to compete with the S class at the >$100k prices. Until then, not many would be willing to say they paid that much for a Lexus.
the lf-lc is coming and i think that's going to be a great thing for lexus
Old 10-31-13, 11:47 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
According to them both BMW and Lexus are working on together on the LFA II.

I hope to God that's false. If it's true, then I'd be extremely torn about continuing to be a Lexus fan.

I'm not really a fan of the BMW partnership in the first place. Toyota is more than capable, they don't need BMW.
+1000000

If this happens people will credit BMW for all their "magic" infused into the LFA II and Lexus as usual will be laughed at for "needing" BMW to make a great car. It's bad enough when haters bash on Toyota for "needing" Yamaha to make the LFA happen, and "needing" Subaru to do the labors for the 86. I loathe to think how little credit Toyota will get if BMW ever has a hand in the development of the LFA II.
Old 10-31-13, 11:57 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
+1000000

If this happens people will credit BMW for all their "magic" infused into the LFA II and Lexus as usual will be laughed at for "needing" BMW to make a great car. It's bad enough when haters bash on Toyota for "needing" Yamaha to make the LFA happen, and "needing" Subaru to do the labors for the 86. I loathe to think how little credit Toyota will get if BMW ever has a hand in the development of the LFA II.
It shouldn't be looked like that at all though. I see it as a postive thing. Both Ford and Toyota have used Yamaha for their acoustic prowess. I applaud them for putting thought into an engines acoustics. Some engines are so coarse and unrefined. I like the extra effort
Old 10-31-13, 12:08 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

According to them both BMW and Lexus are working on together on the LFA II.
I don't think you have anything to worry about, as I've heard absolutely nothing even from Lexus global execs on it. If anyone is working on it with BMW, it's a skunk works project.

Originally Posted by Infra
I work in the Galleria area of Houston, and the cars you see around here will rival anything you find in New York or L.A. I see several (as in, more than 2) Ferrari's a week. Most are 430's but I've seen a few 458's, 612's, and California's). Lamborghinis are less rare, but I still see quite a few. I've only ever seen 1 LFA. ONE. The level of exclusivity is something exceeded maybe only by Koenigsegg or McClaren.
You would have seen my LFA out there too before I moved it out of Texas. I agree with you though, I worked in Galleria and spent a lot of time in Upper Kirby and between those two it was easy to see 4-5 Ferraris every day.

I have still never seen an LFA other than mine on public roads. The only other times I've ever seen the LFA were at Lexus-sponsored events like LFA showcases or the annual owners' gatherings, or at a dealership.

Last edited by gengar; 11-06-13 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-31-13, 04:50 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
That's the project their working on? I thought it was just some five digit sports car
No, I meant to say the 5-digit sports car they're working on, their original (and only official) collaboration, I was never a fan of in the first place.

Originally Posted by gengar
I don't think you have anything to worry about, as I've heard absolutely nothing even from Lexus global execs on it. If anyone is working on it, it's a skunk works project.

I have still never seen an LFA other than mine on public roads. The only other times I've ever seen the LFA were at Lexus-sponsored events like LFA showcases or the annual owners' gatherings, or at a dealership.
Well that's good to hear. I hope this rumor is completely false.

Never seen an LFA yet on the roads either. The worst thing is, there is a Lexus dealer a few hours north of me that has an LFA. The dealer principal owns the LFA, and he mostly keeps it parked in the dealership as a garage queen . On top of this, he refuses to sell the LFA, even though several interested buyers for it exist.

It's sad really, I thought that Toyota prohibited such acts with the LFA.
Old 10-31-13, 09:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

No, I meant to say the 5-digit sports car they're working on, their original (and only official) collaboration, I was never a fan of in the first place.

Never seen an LFA yet on the roads either. The worst thing is, there is a Lexus dealer a few hours north of me that has an LFA. The dealer principal owns the LFA, and he mostly keeps it parked in the dealership as a garage queen . On top of this, he refuses to sell the LFA, even though several interested buyers for it exist.

i am soooo with you. lfa is a car to be driven, and should be driven. that's how the car should be appreciated, by both the driver and the people around
Old 11-01-13, 12:27 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
i am soooo with you. lfa is a car to be driven, and should be driven. that's how the car should be appreciated, by both the driver and the people around
Agreed. I'm sad and disappointed that Toyota allows this. I wonder how they approved selling the LFA to that dealer principal?
Old 11-01-13, 01:02 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Yup, even though a lot of people hate on her for owning an LFA but at least Paris Hilton cranks that engine, probably every time she's home.
Old 11-01-13, 01:38 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The BMW colab is not on an LFA like car. More like a semi affordable sportscar. If it keeps costs down and price how is it a bad thing? BMW are pretty good at what they do. Hold off for more info on that though. Could just be parts sharing instead of the GT86/BRZ/FT twin thing.
Old 11-01-13, 08:00 AM
LexFather

Well I do believe BMW is experimenting with Carbon Fiber as well so maybe they both are trying to figure out a way to mass produce it?

Clearly the i8 is no supercar with a 3 cylinder engine so maybe they are partnering with Toyota to produce a rumored M8 or so.

A lot of possibilities, the only one I care about is that the LFA II comes!

Old 11-01-13, 08:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

The worst thing is, there is a Lexus dealer a few hours north of me that has an LFA. The dealer principal owns the LFA, and he mostly keeps it parked in the dealership as a garage queen . On top of this, he refuses to sell the LFA, even though several interested buyers for it exist.

if he bought it, why and how would toyota 'prohibit' this? that practice would be illegal in many countries (restraint of trade). why shouldn't he be allowed to own one?

as far as keeping it in the dealership, again, in a (relatively) free society, why shouldn't he be able to park it on his property or wherever else he wants, legally?

Originally Posted by rominl
agree 100% with this, but let's face it, it's not just the LFA, TONS of exotics sit in garages and are rarely ever driven.
Old 11-01-13, 10:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by G Star
Yup, even though a lot of people hate on her for owning an LFA but at least Paris Hilton cranks that engine, probably every time she's home.
you know, i was one of the facepalm ones when i learned that paris got one (this was back when lexus had that "selection" process on owners), but now i have to say i am impressed how much paris is driving the car and how time over time the lfa gets exposure when paparazzi spot her driving this supercar.

Agreed. I'm sad and disappointed that Toyota allows this. I wonder how they approved selling the LFA to that dealer principal?
not trying to stir up the pot at all, but i think it has to do with the highly over-allocation of the lfa in the US. 178 lfa in the US is simply too many, there are still unsold / unregistered cars across the nation. whereas some other regions were/are dying for more cars. we already see more than a few lfa exported outside of the US.

i personally think the lfa allocation could have been done better.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
agree 100% with this, but let's face it, it's not just the LFA, TONS of exotics sit in garages and are rarely ever driven.
hehee one big difference is that you can't really drive other exotics much without tons of maintenance cost. part of the reason why those cars aren't driven as much.

lfa is a car one can drive literally every day and maintenance still at minimum. at the risk of saying i compare apple to orange again, it's kind of like the nsx. when new it cost pretty expensive too, but a lot of cars are driven every day, we have seen some with over 400k miles. there are still 348 and 355 around, but if you have one you probably don't want to drive it that much

plus, i have to be honest and say i appreciate the sound of the lfa more than its look
Old 11-01-13, 01:01 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LFA being exclusive is a good thing. People can complain about the cost but if you add the maintenance cost for the lifetime of the vehicle, it will basically "even thing out" when compared to other exotics.
Old 11-19-13, 01:27 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

So my post was deleted for no reason...?

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA II Rumors: Twice the Car, Twice the Price