Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LFA II Rumors: Twice the Car, Twice the Price

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-13, 08:33 PM
kyo7878
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LFA II appeared on a Japanese car magazine's cover in Nov's issue
the title says Toyota X BMW and under it says Lexus LFA II

Old 10-29-13, 08:48 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best Car, I wonder what theyve heard.
Old 10-29-13, 11:25 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I don't like this render. Doesn't have that sinister exotic look the LFA does
Old 10-30-13, 10:43 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
Best Car, I wonder what theyve heard.
Nothing from Lexus corporate, that's for sure.
Old 10-30-13, 11:28 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KA8
Nah if they really want to sell $800K or even $300K car they should break away from the image of selling $35K car and create a separate brand that only markets such cars. Lexus in itself is far from being perceived as exlusive. If I had that kind of money to spend for exclusivity I wouldn't spend it on a lexus
Originally Posted by rominl
though when the topic comes up on genesis and equus, how many times we see people saying with authority that they won't succeed because of the brand hyundai not elite enough. double standard? equus is what, say 3 times the cost of a normal hyundai? 3 times the most expensive lexus mass production ls600hl and it's still not the 400k lfa. but assume a 800k lfa2? it's going to be interesting.

i am not saying lexus needs a separate brand, but at the same time i don't see why the answer is no by default either. one thing pretty clear is, there are voices among the US exotic groups that the lfa is way too overpriced and it's still a lexus. let's not get into the right or wrong about the statement, but fact is there.

i guess i am just trying to say it's fantastic if lexus is working on lfa2 (as i have said it very early on in the thread in lfa forum), however the marketing part is going to be very interesting and extremely challenging.
This is uniquely American thinking. The view of brand image is evolving, and it's moving towards a view of the brand as quality / non-quality rather than luxury / non-luxury. MB and BMW are encroaching on the mass-market cars with sub $30k cars. Ford, GM, Chrysler, & Hyundai are blending the line between mass-market and premium/luxury.

The LFA showed that the Lexus brand can build a "better" super car than Ferrari or Lamborghini (one can certainly drive it more often and further). People will buy a million dollar Porsche, despite that their cars start in the high 40's and most of them are sold at <$100k, with only their flagship models >$100k.

What these brands bring with their experience in manufacturing large numbers of cars is MUCH BETTER quality control processes - something Ferrari can't match, and Lamborghini benefits from via VW Group control. Would an $800k Lexus be the best performing super car? Probably not. But it would be superb, and it would have the feel of a Lexus rather than a race car. Sure, not for everyone, but certainly for some.
Old 10-30-13, 11:41 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

You all should be buying LFA using BitCoins

It will sound cheaper

LOL!!!!
Old 10-30-13, 11:52 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

That rendering is SICK. Love it. Too bad that's all it is
Old 10-30-13, 12:31 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gengar
Nothing from Lexus corporate, that's for sure.
Probably nothing to talk about then?
Old 10-30-13, 06:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

that mag cover lfa-ii looks so bulky and over-done compared to the stunningly minimalist and perfectly proportioned lfa.

i still rate the lfa as the best physical design of a car i've ever seen. it takes one's breath away without being lambo ludicrous or ferrari flamboyant or (what the hell ) porsche pugnacious.
Old 10-30-13, 09:04 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I don't like this render. Doesn't have that sinister exotic look the LFA does
According to them both BMW and Lexus are working on together on the LFA II.

I hope to God that's false. If it's true, then I'd be extremely torn about continuing to be a Lexus fan.

I'm not really a fan of the BMW partnership in the first place. Toyota is more than capable, they don't need BMW.
Old 10-30-13, 11:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
According to them both BMW and Lexus are working on together on the LFA II.

I hope to God that's false. If it's true, then I'd be extremely torn about continuing to be a Lexus fan.

I'm not really a fan of the BMW partnership in the first place. Toyota is more than capable, they don't need BMW.
That's the project their working on? I thought it was just some five digit sports car
Old 10-31-13, 12:24 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Regarding the rumor that LFA II will be a Lexus-BMW collaboration, I like and agree with these comments on the relevant post on Lexusenthusiast.com:

IF the first LFA is better driving and better built then ANY BMW ever made... why does Lexus need BMW to build the second one ... anyone ?
An LFA showed up at "M Fest" and with a professional race car driver, Lexus LFA kicked every single modded and unmodded M car's a** around the race track (some were heavily modified with racing slicks). LFA simply blew through all of the M cars including the new M5 and M6. All while screaming like an F1 racing car around the track.

Simply put, LFA is something BMW cannot produce because of the level of passion and commitment Lexus put into LFA. Why on earth would Lexus benefit from BMW being involved in a car they already perfected themselves?? Only reason could be cost cutting, but that would not be an LFA, if it is not a super exotic.
And the big loser in all this will ultimately be Lexus.... If anything BMW will be the beneficiary in all this, if there is a modicum of truth to this BS rumor... BMW has never really built a supercar that even comes close to the LFA... gawd i hope this is just stupid wishful thinking among the japanese

Beemer will only sabotage the Lexus brand, NO!!!! Lexus NO!!! Stay AWAY from that german junk....
http://lexusenthusiast.com/2013/10/2...-lfa/#comments
Old 10-31-13, 06:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Simply put, LFA is something BMW cannot produce because of the level of passion and commitment Lexus put into LFA.
first off, the lfa is AWESOME. and agree totally with the major commitment and passion lexus put into the lfa, but saying bmw couldn't produce it is doubtful, but maybe what is true is they wouldn't produce it because toyota/lexus lost BILLIONS doing so.

the lfa was SO out of character for the characteristically conservative toyota/lexus corp, and with only 500 made, i think the marketing halo is very very minimal. why stop at 500? i understand exclusivity. maybe they stopped because even at $400k they still lose a bunch on each one? i don't know.

love the lfa but with only 500 in the world, most in locked garages, most of the world will never see one and probably won't know it ever existed.
Old 10-31-13, 08:27 AM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm not a fan of BMW but they have done some awesome things too and I wouldn't mind if they are part of the LFA2, although I'd prefer if Lexus did this alone... anyone remember the McLaren F1? BMW was involved in that and the F1 is considered one of the best sports car ever made.

I'm not liking that render though, it looks like Hyundai and Lamborghini had a child or something... the current LFA has an aggressive yet simple and elegant appearance that just looks, in plain words, bad ***!
Old 10-31-13, 08:43 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
first off, the lfa is AWESOME. and agree totally with the major commitment and passion lexus put into the lfa, but saying bmw couldn't produce it is doubtful, but maybe what is true is they wouldn't produce it because toyota/lexus lost BILLIONS doing so.

the lfa was SO out of character for the characteristically conservative toyota/lexus corp, and with only 500 made, i think the marketing halo is very very minimal. why stop at 500? i understand exclusivity. maybe they stopped because even at $400k they still lose a bunch on each one? i don't know.

love the lfa but with only 500 in the world, most in locked garages, most of the world will never see one and probably won't know it ever existed.
I work in the Galleria area of Houston, and the cars you see around here will rival anything you find in New York or L.A. I see several (as in, more than 2) Ferrari's a week. Most are 430's but I've seen a few 458's, 612's, and California's). Lamborghinis are less rare, but I still see quite a few. I've only ever seen 1 LFA. ONE. The level of exclusivity is something exceeded maybe only by Koenigsegg or McClaren.

People don't get excited about a Ferrari. And if they do see one, they know what it is. Ever pointed out an LFA to someone who doesn't know what it is? And then you tell them it's a Lexus, and their mouth drops and they exclaim "WHATTTT?" Not many cars have that effect - the LFA does. Lexus didn't lose money on the LFA because they weren't selling a car - it was an advertising campaign, and a R&D project. BMW would never make an LFA equivalent because they don't need to - they already have the brand image and the racing program.

I think a LFA II would be cool, but what Lexus REALLY needs is a $100k sports car that will be much more visible, so people really start to associate the brand with "performance" and "high cost". Only then can they really start to compete with the S class at the >$100k prices. Until then, not many would be willing to say they paid that much for a Lexus.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA II Rumors: Twice the Car, Twice the Price