Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Toyota RAV4: revealed at L.A. Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-12, 09:06 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Dude they completely dropped the V-6 option and there's no other optional engine in its place. No turbo-4, no turbodiesel, no nothing. My experience with the 2.5L/6AT is that the tranny is nice, but the engine is very buzzy and annoying sounding. People do actually use their RAV4s to do stuff like towing and hauling, so I'd say there's plenty to complain about. Even if I wanted to try another one, it's already a non-starter just for this reason alone.
yeah, thats true, but you didnt like V6 as it is :-).

You will probably get Turbo anyway... here in Europe, we have two diesels so we are OK.

I wonder if 2.5l is better now (insulated,etc)... My experience with old 4.3 2.0l AZ engine was that it sucks in Rav4... i would never replace my D4D for it, no matter what the price, i would simply not buy Rav4 :-).

But other than that option, new one seems to be miles ahead in every possible way and on rav4world and other forums people just complain - oh no, look at this button here it is awful, terrible... how come it is not 5k cheaper and gets 5 MPG more? :-).
Old 11-30-12, 09:08 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

p.s. First reports from the showroom floor - journos loved the leather on the dash, and said it looks a lot better than ES350 dash leather and puts it to shame :-).
Old 11-30-12, 03:13 PM
modernx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-30-12, 03:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

one real life...
Old 11-30-12, 03:34 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Dude they completely dropped the V-6 option and there's no other optional engine in its place. No turbo-4, no turbodiesel, no nothing. My experience with the 2.5L/6AT is that the tranny is nice, but the engine is very buzzy and annoying sounding. People do actually use their RAV4s to do stuff like towing and hauling, so I'd say there's plenty to complain about. Even if I wanted to try another one, it's already a non-starter just for this reason alone.
I have the RAV4 with the 2.5L AR (with the old 4-speed), works fine...not buzzy at all and can haul quite a bit with no problems. Glad they have the 6-speed now, but curious why they didn't throw in the 2.7L (from the Highlander) if they were going to only offer it with 1 engine...strange.
Old 11-30-12, 03:42 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
but curious why they didn't throw in the 2.7L (from the Highlander) if they were going to only offer it with 1 engine...strange.
Gunning for maximum fuel economy, not just a few more horses.
Old 11-30-12, 03:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ST430
I have the RAV4 with the 2.5L AR (with the old 4-speed), works fine...not buzzy at all and can haul quite a bit with no problems. Glad they have the 6-speed now, but curious why they didn't throw in the 2.7L (from the Highlander) if they were going to only offer it with 1 engine...strange.
i doubt it will stay with one engine for more than a year though (in the US, other markets get 3-4 engines).

p.s. i think i read somewhere that 6AT has 2 overdrive gears :-).

Last edited by spwolf; 11-30-12 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-30-12, 04:11 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"The Midsize Highlander is available if you want more power" -Jim Lentz

There's the reason why there's no more V6

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...-show/1731983/
Old 11-30-12, 10:33 PM
ST430
Pole Position

So the new model is not leading on power, not leading on fuel efficiency, not leading on cargo space, and in many ways is a step sideways or backwards depending on how you look at it. Oh and somebody noticed that the front and rear bumpers are unpainted grey plastic even on the top spec Limited model that they showed coyly disguised by the grey color of the car, which is going to look hideous if you're buying one in a lighter color.
I believe it is leading pasenger capacity, torque (which should matter much more than power), and is tied for mpg. And as for the unpainted bumper, seems to work fine for the best selling CRV...

Old 11-30-12, 10:43 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

cannot wait to see this transformed into the baby RX!
Old 12-01-12, 01:13 AM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

So the new model is not leading on power, not leading on fuel efficiency, not leading on cargo space, and in many ways is a step sideways or backwards depending on how you look at it. Oh and somebody noticed that the front and rear bumpers are unpainted grey plastic even on the top spec Limited model that they showed coyly disguised by the grey color of the car, which is going to look hideous if you're buying one in a lighter color.

Well, it has promise at least, but I'd wait a couple of years for an engine upgrade option to show up and the bumpers to suddenly become painted, among other things.
Agree with you there. They left a lot on the table for future improvements or "refreshes".

Looks very "econobox / base model" from the rear angle in a lighter body color. The CR-V and others hide their unpainted bumpers just enough to get away with it. The Rav4 does not succeed in that aspect.

Originally Posted by modernx
Old 12-01-12, 01:26 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IceIridium
Looks very "econobox / base model" from the rear angle in a lighter body color. The CR-V and others hide their unpainted bumpers just enough to get away with it. The Rav4 does not succeed in that aspect.

Are you looking at the same CRV i'm looking at?

Old 12-01-12, 01:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Double standards? :-)

Old 12-01-12, 01:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

As usual, for some people, Toyota needs to be 30% better, 30% cheaper just to compete :-).
Oh no, lower part of the bumper is black, i will buy CRV!!!
Oho no, it has only 1 mpg more than CRV, I will buy CRV!!!
Oh no, it has no V6, I will buy CRV!!!

:-)))))))))
Old 12-01-12, 02:26 AM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Calm down there, spwolf. I didn't say I don't like the car. I just brought up a couple of things they could have done better. What the other cars do is add an extra "lip" or extension on the bottom of the tailgate or lower rear fenders to create the illusion that only half the rear bumper is unpainted, so the unpainted part looks like "extra cladding" on the bumper (suitable for a CUV) instead of looking like a cost-cutting measure. The CX-5 you shown demonstrates that perfectly. The CR-V does just enough of that that so that an unpainted bumper is not the first thing you think of when you look at the back. The new Rav4 doesn't even bother with the illusion and the tailgate and fenders drop down straight onto the unpainted bumper. It's almost like it's flaunting the big grey bumper.

The new Rav4 has a nice design inside and out. I just wish they would have "finished" it up a bit more. Do what they did with the 2009-2012 Rav4 Sport (compared to the base) and it would have looked fantastic. This Limited model in these pictures will likely be pushing CAD$37K. That's a lot of dough. For that kind of money, it shouldn't look like a base model, from any angle.

Despite all this, it's still under my consideration as my secondary car, if they do a proper job with the hybrid model drivetrain. That's the one I'm waiting for.

Last edited by IceIridium; 12-01-12 at 02:31 AM.

Quick Reply: 2014 Toyota RAV4: revealed at L.A. Auto Show