Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Toyota RAV4: revealed at L.A. Auto Show

Old 11-27-12, 11:35 PM
modernx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

/
Old 11-28-12, 12:34 AM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm liking what I'm seeing so far for the most part! Though I'm still looking for the passenger side cupholder... And wish they put a closeable cover over that passenger side upper bin...

Show me the Hybrid!

Hope North America gets to keep those LED DRL's too.

Hmm... this or the NX?... Hmmm.... (Or a used RX?.... )

Last edited by IceIridium; 11-28-12 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11-28-12, 01:07 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by IceIridium
I'm liking what I'm seeing so far for the most part! Though I'm still looking for the passenger side cupholder... And wish they put a closeable cover over that passenger side upper bin...

Show me the Hybrid!

there is bigger one under the gear shift towards armrest..
Old 11-28-12, 05:30 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

The visible cup holder is the HEATED cup holder -----always warm coffee!
Old 11-28-12, 06:06 AM
dozorca
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by modernx

The wheel travel gap doesn't make sense in this photo compared to the rest of the pics.
Old 11-28-12, 06:20 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IceIridium

Show me the Hybrid!

well NA version used to be a lot cheaper than EU, so who knows :-)
Old 11-28-12, 07:23 AM
Haitwun
Pole Position

Default New Toyota Rav4

Elements from the new Avalon's interior made it into the Rav4. It is certainly better styled than its predecessor.

Old 11-28-12, 07:31 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good to see how design elements from the new Avalon has trickled to the Rav4.

It surely needed the upgrade...
Old 11-28-12, 07:44 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

As the previous owner of a 3rd gen RAV4 (2007 Sport V6 4WD, Barcelona Red), I have to say I'm fairly disappointed in this. Much of the layout looks exactly the same, just different trim. Gauge cluster is basically the same, center console where the shifter is is just about the same, even the funky dual glove boxes are practically the same. The 'old' RAV4 was not exactly well rounded either. Especially for a Toyota product it was pretty rough around the edges. I hope the driving characteristics of the new one along with the interior are much more polished and refined. It's very much an evolution of the outgoing "4.3" RAV4 though. Not exactly the "4.4" I was hoping and expecting to see.

Still interested in powertrain options. No V6? Is that confirmed? I started the rumor that it would be gone over a year ago. I'm hoping for a turbodiesel but doubt one will come here.
Old 11-28-12, 08:05 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
As the previous owner of a 3rd gen RAV4 (2007 Sport V6 4WD, Barcelona Red), I have to say I'm fairly disappointed in this. Much of the layout looks exactly the same, just different trim. Gauge cluster is basically the same, center console where the shifter is is just about the same, even the funky dual glove boxes are practically the same. The 'old' RAV4 was not exactly well rounded either. Especially for a Toyota product it was pretty rough around the edges. I hope the driving characteristics of the new one along with the interior are much more polished and refined. It's very much an evolution of the outgoing "4.3" RAV4 though. Not exactly the "4.4" I was hoping and expecting to see.
You sound like you want the Rav4 to be a totally different car altogether. There's the Hyundai Tuscon for that...

Like a few have said, this is evolution, nor revolution. The Rav4 is the second best-selling SUV in the market, and the recipe works. Toyota just needed to fix all the issues they had with the previous generation regarding styling and material quality.

Toyota shouldn't (and can't afford to) alienate an established strong consumer market core.

And I do agree with you on the Rav's need of refinement. I too once had a 2010 Rav4 V6 Sport. I think that this new generation addresses such concerns. We will all have to feel and drive it to see if it works.
Old 11-28-12, 08:20 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Still interested in powertrain options. No V6? Is that confirmed? I started the rumor that it would be gone over a year ago. I'm hoping for a turbodiesel but doubt one will come here.
it also has 4 wheels, engine and transmission... all the same.
Old 11-28-12, 08:29 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

ok, so you hated your Rav4... you have every right to do so... I had two (2006 and 2008) and i think they are the best cars i ever had for the money.

However... lets compare these two generations that you say are very similar - just about the same.

So what should have they done? Removed storages so they could claim they have 1 glovebox, or 3 gloveboxes? Dont have traditional shifter? Dont have instrument meters but project them to the wind screen? Please do tell :-). Because to me It looks very nice and very different execution of the same concept - small SUV.
Old 11-28-12, 08:48 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

of course, black is Euro one.. it always looked better... but new one is a lot better regardless... hopefully US interior doesnt suck like before :-).
Old 11-28-12, 09:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Here is the live stream, starts NOW - 12 PM EST

http://new.livestream.com/Toyota/laautoshow
Old 11-28-12, 09:14 AM
JessePS

Now that is a nice update

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Toyota RAV4: revealed at L.A. Auto Show