Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2013 Mercedes SL550

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-16, 08:38 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

It isn't centered. It is however, oriented towards the driver. Not a bad thing.
Old 07-24-16, 08:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

my thoughts are that interior is awesome.
Old 07-24-16, 08:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
my thoughts are that interior is awesome.
Agreed, however the dash no being symmetrical is a little strange.
Old 07-24-16, 10:16 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Yes, that bothered me from the day it came out. Its also prevalent on the SLC (then SLK). I could never own a car that had an overall symmetrical theme but was not fully symmetrical.
Old 07-24-16, 11:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
Yes, that bothered me from the day it came out. Its also prevalent on the SLC (then SLK). I could never own a car that had an overall symmetrical theme but was not fully symmetrical.
That is why I had mentioned it, I never noticed it in previous pictures, but the moment I sat down inside the car I noticed it right away. I cannot believe that Mercedes would have some sort of reason or excuse for doing it. It seems to odd for such an expensive car. Its almost like Mercedes has a design flaw.
Old 07-24-16, 12:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
I could never own a car that had an overall symmetrical theme but was not fully symmetrical.
ocd much?
Old 07-24-16, 01:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

ocd much?
I wouldn't call it OCD at all, it's the dumbest thing for a car that is $150K plus that gets all the details right in the first place.
Old 07-24-16, 02:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

What was astonishing was that the centre screen, HVAC vents were not lined up with the centre of the stack. I thought this was unacceptable from a design standpoint. If you look carefully, the top half of the dash looks out of place with the bottom part.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this matter?
Yes, it could have been better-done, but I'd glady take a design like this rather than those (IMO) silly center-stack designs with all of the gauges in the middle of the dash, and nothing but blank padding behind the steering wheel.

Old 07-24-16, 03:03 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I've never liked the fact that it was off-center, but Mercedes has done this before. The W140 interior had the same theme going on:

Old 07-24-16, 03:47 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

ocd much?
very much so. proud of it
Old 07-24-16, 06:51 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

IMO, it has to do with available real estate (horizontal space on the dashboard and vertical space on the centre stack), and styling language requirements.

Unlike the C-Class and E-Class coupes, which are more 2-door versions of 4-door sedans, the S-Class coupes have always been true low-slung coupes. That gives little vertical centre-stack space. That means all displays and HVAC vents must be arrayed horizontally.

The main instrument display pod containing the speedometer, tachometer, fuel and temp gauges, and monitoring lights will require a certain amount of horizontal space. The HVAC vents will require space, and now that MB has gone back to traditional, round vents, they seem to require greater horizontal space.

That leaves limited space for the infotainment display. To keep the display screen centred, MB could have placed it above the vents (as they do in the sedans and SUVs) but that would either leave the display screen sticking up very high (as in the Toyota C-HR) or leave the HVAC and audio controls very low and in front of the traditional gearshift lever (remembering that vertical space is very limited in a coupe).

Placing the infotainment display screen between the vents, albeit off-centre, keeps the dashboard as low as possible.
Old 07-24-16, 07:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
IMO, it has to do with available real estate (horizontal space on the dashboard and vertical space on the centre stack), and styling language requirements.

Unlike the C-Class and E-Class coupes, which are more 2-door versions of 4-door sedans, the S-Class coupes have always been true low-slung coupes. That gives little vertical centre-stack space. That means all displays and HVAC vents must be arrayed horizontally.

The main instrument display pod containing the speedometer, tachometer, fuel and temp gauges, and monitoring lights will require a certain amount of horizontal space. The HVAC vents will require space, and now that MB has gone back to traditional, round vents, they seem to require greater horizontal space.

That leaves limited space for the infotainment display. To keep the display screen centred, MB could have placed it above the vents (as they do in the sedans and SUVs) but that would either leave the display screen sticking up very high (as in the Toyota C-HR) or leave the HVAC and audio controls very low and in front of the traditional gearshift lever (remembering that vertical space is very limited in a coupe).

Placing the infotainment display screen between the vents, albeit off-centre, keeps the dashboard as low as possible.
Generally a good overall summary.

However, the Camaro is also a low-slung car, and, conversely, they addressed the air vent spacing problem (and using quite large circular vents at that) by putting the vents very low in front of the console. That generally works, though, of course, it means chilling or baking your hand down there when you are using the shifter or other controls. The vents are also unique in that you rotate them left or right to mix in heat or cold (note the red/blue arrows).

Old 07-24-16, 07:26 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Generally a good overall summary.

However, the Camaro is also a low-slung car, and, conversely, they addressed the air vent spacing problem (and using quite large circular vents at that) by putting the vents very low in front of the console. That generally works, though, of course, it means chilling or baking your hand down there when you are using the shifter or other controls. The vents are also unique in that you rotate them left or right to mix in heat or cold (note the red/blue arrows).

True, but the vents in the Camaro -- as I've read -- do not add much to the temperature control at the torso level.
Old 07-25-16, 06:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I wouldn't call it OCD at all, it's the dumbest thing for a car that is $150K plus that gets all the details right in the first place.
does the fact that there's an annoying steering wheel only on one side bother you too?
Old 07-25-16, 06:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

on the audi tt, the 3 vents are not centered over the vertical stack below, but it looks awesome anyway.

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2013 Mercedes SL550