Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Static-Review: 2013 Subaru BRZ

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-12, 07:57 AM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Mike, I fail to understand why you didn't mention the Mazda RX-8 as a competitor. It's painfully clear that the BRZ engineers had the RX-8 in it's sights when it built this car. There is no closer competitor. CR-Z? Really? Otherwise, great review, thanks.
I agree, the competitors would also be the Miata, and Genesis coupe, not the CR-Z
Old 04-08-12, 01:56 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Mike, I fail to understand why you didn't mention the Mazda RX-8 as a competitor. It's painfully clear that the BRZ engineers had the RX-8 in it's sights when it built this car. There is no closer competitor. CR-Z? Really? Otherwise, great review, thanks.
The RX-8 is not being made anymore and is probably the reason that mmarshal did not mention along with maybe the RX-8 being a unique 4 door coupe/sportscar using a rotary engine. The Miata is definitely a competitor though.

Nice review mmarshall, I am looking forward to test driving this car though I am a little underwhelmed by the exterior and interior and some of the performance numbers. It seems to have lost all the sexiness from the last maroon concept we saw. Still for Subaru and Toyota for making a affordable rwd sports car, hopefully it does well and more companies follow. I still want a new Supra from Toyota
Old 04-08-12, 03:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dj.ctwatt
Love your reviews mmarshall! Thanks as always! I do have one small request for you (something that seems to be missing in almost all reviews). Whenever there is a particular complaint or gripe (or conversely a positive point), I would love to see photographs of the exact subject (so the reader can make up their own mind). For instance, the "cheap" climate control ***** or the automatic shifter. In the first picture showing the HVAC stack, it looks to be a digital/**** setup. But then the pass through photo through the red car's trunk appears to be cheap Yaris ***** (probably is the Scion version). But great review anyway!
Thanks....and thanks for the suggestion. I've considered that, but I often have a difficult time trying to upload personal photos from my computer and digital-camera into the reviews....it usuallo doesn't work. That's why, most of the time, I use as detailed Google images of the interior/exterior as I can find (from what is available)....sometimes showing more than one different trim-level.
Old 04-08-12, 04:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
The RX-8 is not being made anymore and is probably the reason that mmarshal did not mention along with maybe the RX-8 being a unique 4 door coupe/sportscar using a rotary engine. The Miata is definitely a competitor though.

Nice review mmarshall, I am looking forward to test driving this car though I am a little underwhelmed by the exterior and interior and some of the performance numbers. It seems to have lost all the sexiness from the last maroon concept we saw. Still for Subaru and Toyota for making a affordable rwd sports car, hopefully it does well and more companies follow. I still want a new Supra from Toyota
Originally Posted by xioix
I agree, the competitors would also be the Miata, and Genesis coupe, not the CR-Z
OK, Guys......here's the scoop on what I consider the competitors:

First, the Miata is smaller and does not come in a true coupe version....only soft and hard drop-tops. Only a few true Miata coupes were done over the years.....I can't remember the last one sold in the U.S.

The RX-8 is substantially more expensive, has a totally different (and unique) engine, and, with the two small half-rear doors, again does not come in a true coupe version. As UDel noted, it is also being pulled from the American market, and will not be a sales-factor among new cars.

The Genesis Coupe is a true sports-coupe, but is somewhat larger physically, and, in the upper-level versions, more expensive than the BRZ/FRS class, though I agree you might be able to make an argument for the lower-line 2.0T versions.

The CR-Z, I felt, was at least a borderline-competitor because, even though it is a hybrid and includes the extra electric-motor, it is about the same size (though taller), has around the same torque-ratings, is a true coupe with two doors, and, with options runs roughly in the same price-range, though the base-price is lower.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-08-12 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-08-12, 04:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Meh, this car was hyped for so long, and the result is just blah, IMO. Its styling is attractive, but the rest of the car screams 90ies. I'd take hardtop 1 series over this in a heartbeat.
Well, when you consider that (in spirit, at least as I see it), it seems to be replacing a classic line of sport-coupes from the 1970s, I don't see where that is a big deal. And, besides, a lot of nice cars were done in the 90s.
Old 04-09-12, 05:05 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, when you consider that (in spirit, at least as I see it), it seems to be replacing a classic line of sport-coupes from the 1970s, I don't see where that is a big deal. And, besides, a lot of nice cars were done in the 90s.
I don't see it as much of a big deal either, it just that it took Toyota and Subaru about half a decade to finally finish this, IMO underwhelming, vehicle. It's not much different from say 90ies Celica, so it's beyond me what took them so long. And the amount of hype surrounding this car in the last 5 years was over nothing. In that time BMW quietly released the 1 series coupe - which has been on sale in the US for a number of years, and is far better car, albeit more expensive.
Old 04-09-12, 08:33 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
I don't see it as much of a big deal either, it just that it took Toyota and Subaru about half a decade to finally finish this, IMO underwhelming, vehicle. It's not much different from say 90ies Celica, so it's beyond me what took them so long. And the amount of hype surrounding this car in the last 5 years was over nothing. In that time BMW quietly released the 1 series coupe - which has been on sale in the US for a number of years, and is far better car, albeit more expensive.
a) drive it before you judge it
b) 5 years is the typical development lifecycle for a vehicle.
c) The 1 series is a far better car how exactly?
Old 04-09-12, 09:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR_F1
The 1 series is a far better car how exactly?
The 1-series, IMO, costs too much for what you get. It does not realistically compete in the BRZ and FRS price-class. It is also sedan-based, where the BRZ/FRS was designed from the outset to be dedicated sports-coupes/borderline sports-cars).
Old 04-09-12, 09:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
why in the world would 1 series be better car? And 1 series has been around for 8 years now.
Old 04-09-12, 10:37 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

STI version will take the cake for me Along with a drop and nice wheels
Old 04-09-12, 09:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by adamls2
STI version will take the cake for me Along with a drop and nice wheels
I don't think that dropping a car like this is the way to go. It already sits low and just a few inches off the ground, even with the stock wheels and suspension. Any lower and it would be difficult to keep from damaging the lower-body panels and front air-dam.
Old 04-11-12, 08:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned review: Infiniti JX35
Old 04-11-12, 09:14 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well thought out and detailed review .

I agree with a lot of things, and mainly the platform sharing. As many would agree, it should stay as a Toyota.
Old 04-11-12, 09:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Individual
Well thought out and detailed review .
Thanks.

I agree with a lot of things, and mainly the platform sharing. As many would agree, it should stay as a Toyota.
It is marketed as a Toyota in a number of other countries. Here in America, the Scion lineup, of course, tends to disrupt traditional Toyota marketing. The U.S., I believe (though I could be wrong) is the only country with the Scion nameplate.
Old 04-11-12, 12:00 PM
1JZsoarer
Driver

Yep, you are wrong, at least in Canada too we get Scions.

Quick Reply: MM Static-Review: 2013 Subaru BRZ