Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hybrid break-even points

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-12, 07:32 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Hybrid break-even points

Interesting read, albeit short, but supports my theory that a lot of hybrids take a good amount of years for people to really see a payoff. Of course there are arguments that go the other way as well like the trade-in or resale on a hybrid makes up for it

Savings come slowly for hybrid, electric car owners
Nashville Business Journal by Nevin Batiwalla, Staff Reporter

Date: Thursday, April 5, 2012, 12:09pm CDT

If you're thinking about buying a fuel-efficient hybrid, electric or otherwise eco-friendly vehicle as a way to save money over time, do your homework — or be prepared to wait.
Buyers who choose Nissan's all-electric Leaf ($28,421) over its approximate gas-powered equivalent, Nissan's Versa ($18,640), will likely wait nearly 9 years until they break even, according to a new report by The New York Times that examines the cost of fuel efficiency.
For drivers of the Chevrolet Volt ($31,767), the wait is even longer— 26.6 years.
A few vehicles begin paying off relatively soon after leaving the dealership. Two hybrids— Toyota's Prius ($23,537) and Lincoln's MKZ ($33,887)— as well as Volkswagen's diesel-powered Jetta TDI ($25,242) all take less than two years before they start saving their owners money.
Check out this chart by the Times that breaks down the savings delay for many popular fuel-efficient models.
The high price tag of many fuel-efficient vehicles — including the Nissan Leaf, which will soon be made in Smyrna, Tenn. — is one reason consumers have yet to embrace them with open arms.

The longer NYT article is here: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/05/bu...wait.html?_r=1
Old 04-06-12, 07:46 AM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We traded in our RX400h for a GLK350. While I love the GLK350, my wife and I agree that we have to go back to hybrid. The mpg difference was not much (25mpg vs 18mpg). However, in the GLK we have to fill up every 6 days, versus every 7 days with the RX-h. Not a big deal, but multiply this by 4 years of ownership and you have gone to the gas station 35 more times with the GLK. That's a lot of gas, but more importantly to me, time is money, and I would prefer to go the gas station as little as possible and spend my time doing something else.

Last edited by GQD_GS4; 04-06-12 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-06-12, 08:00 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Plus, you are supporting technologies that will gradually help lessen our reliance on fossil fuels which is ultimately an exhaustible resource over the long run. They can only get better and more efficient only if they can keep making more and more of them, and they can't do that without enough support in the market.
Old 04-06-12, 08:32 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This maybe true for US but for other markets let's say some very urban Euro cities RX450h makes a big differrence compared to RX350. Huge actually. Savings are instant due to higher gas prices.

But my vote goes to plug-ins. Get Tesla Model S and couple of solar panels for $2.5K-$5K and you are riding for almost nothing. That is if Tesla doesn't crap out on you. I hope all hybrids in future will be plug-in.
Old 04-06-12, 08:40 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The article is for cars that drive 15,000 miles a year.

The cost savings is a lot higher for those who drive a lot more, which are your typical hybrid-buying urbanites who travel from the suburbs to metropolitan areas.
Old 04-06-12, 08:44 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

man good for Lincoln and the MKZ Hybrid. And the Hybrid is a no cost option over V6
Old 04-06-12, 10:02 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

of course the article doesnt take into account less maintenance cost as well as resale value. And some of the gas versus electric cars arent even in the same league. For instance the versa is a huge step down from the Leaf. just check out their interiors
Old 04-06-12, 10:16 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

True, but I know plenty of people that like to see numbers to help justify the extra money up front. Not me of course. I see value not captured here.
Old 04-06-12, 11:09 AM
LexFather

Not one of these articles again.

I should make a chart showing how much people actually use that V-8 vs a V-6 or their V-6 vs the I-4. Cause if they are not using it for maximum performance all the time, whats the point?

See what I did there

Old 04-06-12, 03:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

crap articles, always the same crap... according to that, there is no point in ever buying anything but used Echo, since it doesnt pay off.
Old 04-06-12, 07:59 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
This maybe true for US but for other markets let's say some very urban Euro cities RX450h makes a big differrence compared to RX350. Huge actually. Savings are instant due to higher gas prices.

But my vote goes to plug-ins. Get Tesla Model S and couple of solar panels for $2.5K-$5K and you are riding for almost nothing. That is if Tesla doesn't crap out on you. I hope all hybrids in future will be plug-in.
Or you could do what my dad does and convert Veggie oil to diesel. Seems to be the way to go! He doesn't pollute as much and tows his toys with his F-450 for less than a dollar a gallon.

But he has the space for the conversion equipment, and the time to go collect used veggie oil from McDonald's or wherever.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Not one of these articles again.

I should make a chart showing how much people actually use that V-8 vs a V-6 or their V-6 vs the I-4. Cause if they are not using it for maximum performance all the time, whats the point?

See what I did there
LOL, I use my V8 a lot...but there are times I wish it was a hybrid, or even a diesel.
Old 04-07-12, 12:52 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

1) I can't see how the Jetta diesel could be #1. Even with the better mileage, the cost of diesel here in L.A. is usually 40 cents higher than regular.

2) For those who drive under 10,000 or 5,000 miles per year (me and probably a lot of retired people), these numbers would be off the charts, making a hybrid's assets pretty much a lost cause other than to just be green.

3) Would have been interesting to include the new Pruis C. About the same mileage numbers as the regular Prius, but for around $20,000. Maybe that car would have been campared to a Yaris.
Old 04-07-12, 01:59 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The prices of electricity also vary by city. I wonder what that list would look like, if they used Hydro Quebec prices for electricity and the price of gas in Montreal. I am thinking of getting rid of the Veloster and trying to find a plug-in or all-electric car. Seeing gas is already at like C$1.60/l for premium.