Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Venza News

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-12, 09:41 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Pricing

Toyota gave its midsize Venza crossover a mid-cycle refresh for the 2013 model year that included revised exterior styling, an available Entune multimedia system and more standard equipment for all trim levels.

While the changes add up to a more stylish and capable family hauler, they come with a price bump compared to the 2012 Venza. Mid-grade XLE models see an increase of up to $1,585, but come with new standard kit such as a navigation system, driver memory seat, reverse tilt outer mirrors and the aforementioned Entune system.

Entry-level LE models are up to $275 pricier, while top-spec Limited models go up $955.

LE and XLE models continue to feature a standard 2.7-liter 4-cylinder with 182 horsepower and 182 lb-ft of torque, while the Limited gets a standard 3.5-liter V6 with 268 horsepower and 246 pound-feet of torque that is optional for the rest of the lineup.

Front-wheel-drive is the default configuration, while all-wheel-drive is available on all trim levels for roughly $1,450.
Old 08-20-12, 08:04 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The more I see the Venza, the more I am convinced that the Venza was designed to be sold as a Lexus CUV, but somehow marketing/economic reasons made it a Toyota.

All the design clues, the flow, the styling, the attention to detail, and not to mention the color palette that is right out of the Lexus color charts for the ES350.
Old 08-20-12, 08:50 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
The more I see the Venza, the more I am convinced that the Venza was designed to be sold as a Lexus CUV, but somehow marketing/economic reasons made it a Toyota.

All the design clues, the flow, the styling, the attention to detail, and not to mention the color palette that is right out of the Lexus color charts for the ES350.

You know, you could be right. I have noticed that mirrors look like they are directly lifted of a Lexus. I have not seen a Toyota use those mirrors.
Old 08-20-12, 09:08 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And I am not alone...even edmunds is on the same path

"One area in which the Venza stands out is in interior design and quality. It bucks the recent downward trend exhibited by Toyota products, with better materials and improved fit and finish. The nifty multi-bin center console design is unique to the Venza, as are the high-mounted console shifter and simplified climate controls.."

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/venza/2009/

and these guys too!!!

http://tirekicker.blogspot.com/2011/...za-review.html

"But if you want the luxury and have the money, load it up the way Toyota did ours and you've got a discount Lexus RX350. Which is yet one more market for the Venza, and one more way in which I can't understand why you don't see one at every stoplight every day of the week."

Last edited by chikoo; 08-20-12 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-20-12, 10:54 AM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo

its funny u said that, i been saying this for awhile
Old 08-20-12, 11:05 AM
LexFather

The Venza was always going to be a Toyota and not a Lexus CUV. The Venza is pretty much the same size as the RX and seats 5 like the RX. The Lexus CUV will be around the size of an IS and be much smaller.

I do agree the Venza is very well executed.

Old 08-20-12, 11:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

it looks nice in and out, but when i drove a v6 model, i was surprised how sluggish it was. couldn't imagine driving the 4cyl version. also, the 'low' design means cargo room and opening isn't tall or large. a subaru outback has a little more room even for example. as nice as it is and for all that money i don't understand why someone would want a station wagon over a cuv/suv.
Old 08-21-12, 09:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I don't understand why someone would want a station wagon over a cuv/suv.
The answer, to me at least, seems pretty simple. Wagons like the Venza, Crosstour, Outback, and Volvo XC70 Cross-Country (despite the Crosstour's droop-rear-roofline), are not really SUVs (or even CUVs) in the usual sense. They are closely-derived from (or actually are), mid-sized, sedan-based station-wagons with AWD and added ground-clearance for deep snow, road-obstacles, and some mild off-road capability. They ride, handle, and steer much more like cars then even car-based CUVs like the RAV-4, CR-V, Outlander, etc, because they essentially are cars......much more closely-derived from sedans than CUVs are. One can usually tell the difference when driving them.....and that obviously appeals to a number of people, especially with the Outback's great popularity.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-21-12 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-21-12, 12:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

obviously height changes the center of gravity, so when you say ride, handle, and steer much more like cars, sure... but there's other benefits to suv/cuv like easier getting in and out, easier loading, etc.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-21-12 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-03-15, 09:44 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb USA Today

Toyota is killing off one of its mainstream models, the Venza crossover.

While some of the brand's quirkier models with more limited appeal have come and gone, it's a little unusual for a model in a hot segment, one that hits square in terms of customer popularity, to be banished.

The compact crossover will be phased out at the end of summer, says CarsDirect.com. It says one of its editors made the discovery that Venza is a goner.

Venza was introduced in 2008, just as the auto industry was going into a sales tailspin as the recession took hold. While it never sold spectacularly like some other models, Venza has, by and large, held its own.

Reached for comment, Toyota issued a statement that says Toyota will "wind down production" at its factories in Kentucky. "No jobs will be lost" as a result, it adds.

"It's a difficult business decision to wind down production of the Venza, however (Toyota in Kentucky) and its 7,000 team members are excited to begin production of the refreshed Avalon and the Lexus ES sedan later this year. It's the first time Lexus will be produced in the U.S.," the statement says.

Old 03-03-15, 10:14 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I love it when a manufacturer lets a model linger beyond it's normal cycle, with no major updates, and expect sales to be solid. The Venza is/was due for a redesign. If Toyota treated it like it treats their other models, maybe it would have had a chance.
Old 03-03-15, 11:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I love it when a manufacturer lets a model linger beyond it's normal cycle, with no major updates, and expect sales to be solid. The Venza is/was due for a redesign. If Toyota treated it like it treats their other models, maybe it would have had a chance.
I agree, the car is due for a redesign. I personally always thought the Venza was originally a Lexus product and at the last minute, it was decided it would a Toyota. The Venza is selling 2000 units a months, I wouldn't consider that to be that terrible.
Old 03-03-15, 11:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

venza is too low to be a real crossover. it's also heavy and the interior isn't great.

overall it's a mediocre station wagon trying to be something else.
Old 03-03-15, 11:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The Venza is selling 2000 units a months, I wouldn't consider that to be that terrible.
but if they use that capacity to produce lexus ES, they'll probably make 5 times the profit.
Old 03-03-15, 12:08 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It wasn't me that bumped an old thread this time

Quick Reply: Toyota Venza News