Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Lincoln MKZ Leaked

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-12, 07:19 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So, how does it shift?
Old 04-03-12, 09:25 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
So, how does it shift?
It's fully automatic, but if you want control you can hit "S" and there are paddle shifters

Old 04-03-12, 09:45 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Damn, new one is so futuristic

If they can cut back on the horizontal slats from the grill, it would look a lot better.

Looks too much like a baleen whale's mouth.

Old 04-03-12, 10:38 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
The front looks way to Japanese/Korean. Where's all the Lincoln at? The rear looks like something out of Tron or perhaps an older Prelude tail light assembly. I like the interior in how flat the center stack is. It really looks like everything would be able to be on one big i-pad; but man there looks to be A LOT of plastic. I'd love to be able to sit in one and be proven completely wrong but there appears to be some cost savings by introducing tons of textured plastic surfaces vs. leather, stitching, and wood like I would hope/pay for in a Lincoln.
Yeah, not sure why people are all excited about the styling. The most "Lincoln" part to me is the rear tailights. The quad tips look straight off the Acura ZDX.

Cadillac figured out a good design theme. This thing could be from almost any brand for the most part. Sorry their design team failed.

Old 04-03-12, 11:09 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Very slick and modern. Definitely a wise direction for Lincoln to move into.
Rear taillights however are from the original Q45 and don't fit the rest of the package. Also odd the passenger gets more wood than the driver.
Old 04-03-12, 11:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yeah, not sure why people are all excited about the styling. The most "Lincoln" part to me is the rear tailights. The quad tips look straight off the Acura ZDX.

Cadillac figured out a good design theme. This thing could be from almost any brand for the most part. Sorry their design team failed.
not sure what to you signifies 'lincoln'. they tried that with last styling go around and got reamed.

i think the tail alone though, with lincoln in letters across and the bar taillight is hugely lincoln. but we don't want to go back to these days, surely?

Old 04-03-12, 11:50 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not really a big fan, it looks well done on paper though and in pictures. The exterior could be mistaken for a Japanese/Korean car. Also what is with that chunky rear end? Not a fan of that "humpback" look in the rear end. Also not a fan of the "Cyclops" rear tail light strip sort of styling, I thought that trend had died back in the 80s and 90s.

Interior looks cool with no shifter, but at the same time it looks like it will be a usability nightmare. It's clear the interior was designed for style first, and functionality and usability second. Also it does look like a LOT of (hard) plastic in that interior; quality doesn't look to be that great.
Overall, I doubt this will change Lincoln's fortunes much.
Old 04-04-12, 07:35 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Not really a big fan, it looks well done on paper though and in pictures. The exterior could be mistaken for a Japanese/Korean car. Also what is with that chunky rear end? Not a fan of that "humpback" look in the rear end. Also not a fan of the "Cyclops" rear tail light strip sort of styling, I thought that trend had died back in the 80s and 90s.

Interior looks cool with no shifter, but at the same time it looks like it will be a usability nightmare. It's clear the interior was designed for style first, and functionality and usability second. Also it does look like a LOT of (hard) plastic in that interior; quality doesn't look to be that great.
Overall, I doubt this will change Lincoln's fortunes much.
This sums up my thoughts as well. This car will be the latest in Lincoln's long line of struggles.

I think history has shown that when you aren't a frontrunner, you have to make a uniquely compelling case for purchase based on two things: performance or design. Take notes from Infiniti and Cadillac. The one "performance" selling point of the MKZ will probably be the hybrid, which should be top-notch if it's based on the Fusion. The design of this car is flat, both literally and figuratively, inside and out.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 04-04-12 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-04-12, 09:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It's fully automatic, but if you want control you can hit "S" and there are paddle shifters
Push-button-shift on the dash is nothing new. Many Chrysler products from the late 50s to the mid-60s had them for the 3-speed TorqueFlite automatics (PARK was on a separate lever). By 1966, though, they had converted back to the typical column or console-mounted lever.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-04-12 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-04-12, 11:06 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

hah wow!! learn something new every day thanks Mike. being born in the late 80s I missed a lot hah
Old 04-04-12, 12:05 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^
A buddy in high school had a Chrysler product with that push-button shifter. The novelty wore off.
Old 04-04-12, 02:50 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Push-button-shift on the dash is nothing new. Many Chrysler products from the late 50s to the mid-60s had them for the 3-speed TorqueFlite automatics (PARK was on a separate lever). By 1966, though, they had converted back to the typical column or console-mounted lever.

Remember the Edsel's push button shift mounted on the center hub of the steering wheel?
Old 04-04-12, 07:26 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Design overall looks good to me. The rear end is a bit high and chunky though. Interior is nice though a little overdone. Push button shifting on the dash is a cool touch. Hopefully in person it looks as good. It does not look like a Lincoln but Lincoln designs were never all that attractive unless you like the big rectangular look which is very old. I had a soft spot for the last 2 generations of the Lincoln Mark7 coupe though they were very unreliable, I thought the Continental in the late 80's early 90's had a decent look.
Old 10-16-12, 08:36 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow 45mpg

Lincoln's all-new MKZ Hybrid has been EPA-certified at 45mpg in the city and 45mpg on the highway, netting a combined rating of – you guessed it – 45mpg. Those ratings make the 2013 MKZ the most fuel efficient luxury vehicle available in America.

In comparison, the MKZ's closest competitor, the Lexus ES 300h, is rated at 40mpg in the city and 39mpg on the highway. The admittedly more powerful Infiniti M35h is even farther in the MKZ's rearview mirror, posting deficits of 18 and 13mpg in city and highway driving respectively.

For those keeping track, the MKZ is 2mpg less efficient than its Ford Fusion Hybrid platform mate, which achieves 47mpg in all driving conditions.

“The all-new MKZ Hybrid proves that thoughtful customers who prioritize fuel economy and reducing emissions do not need to compromise on luxury, driving quality or advanced technology,” said Jim Farley, group vice president, Global Marketing, Sales and Service. “MKZ is our strongest proof yet on what the reinvented Lincoln stands for – beautiful vehicles with compelling and warm experiences that create a clear alternative in today’s increasingly competitive luxury marketplace.”

The 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid is scheduled to arrive at dealers later this year. As with the previous model, the MKZ Hybrid will carry the same MSRP ($36,800) as its gas-only sibling.
Old 10-16-12, 08:57 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ford/Lincoln is beating Toyota/Lexus in the hybrid MPG game!

Gotta love the rivalry. It's good competition to keep everyone on their toes...

Quick Reply: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Leaked