Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

And the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8's 'Ring time is...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-12, 01:28 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They have to be running that test with 10psi in the tires
Old 08-02-12, 04:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

That moose test thing, nobody but these guys have been able to make it do that for some reason. Thread after thread about it on the Jeep forums.

As for the New Grand Cherokee, we love ours. I'm really surprised by how much I like it, its fun to drive, very stable and well planted, looks great, really quiet, excellent quality interior...and thats from someone who has owned Lexus vehicles for almost 15 years.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-02-12 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-02-12, 07:23 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
This Chrysler turd continues to amuse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaYFL...layer_embedded
It looks good exterior-wise, but it's a Chrysler, and I would never buy one or own one. That video is amusing and sad at the same time.

Absolutely terrible safety performance, not just the risk of rollover but the tires popping.
Old 08-02-12, 07:29 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Once you drive a Chrysler, you can't un-drive it. My parents had the misfortune to own I think a 2005ish G.C. with the hemi engine, and I drove this miserable pos several times, and that was enough for me to develop such hatred for Chrysler products that I would think twice before I take a dump into one, never mind driving one.
Old 08-02-12, 07:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I hear what you're saying, but this is an entirely different company than the one that made that 2005 you had. I never would have considered one of those, terrible material and product quality. This new one though is very nice, I'm very impressed. Like I said, been a Lexus owner for 15 years, so I'm no stranger to quality cars.

I leased the Jeep as opposed to buying it just in case it sucked, and it has 16k miles now and I'm about a year in. Really like it. Reaale looks awful, so I'm glad I leased it, but if it holds up over time I could see owning and enjoying one of these for a long time.
Old 08-02-12, 08:06 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Once you drive a Chrysler, you can't un-drive it. My parents had the misfortune to own I think a 2005ish G.C. with the hemi engine, and I drove this miserable pos several times, and that was enough for me to develop such hatred for Chrysler products that I would think twice before I take a dump into one, never mind driving one.
Exactly .

I've never had the unfortunate experience of driving one. Simply being a passenger in a few of their models was enough to convince me that I would never own one.

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I hear what you're saying, but this is an entirely different company than the one that made that 2005 you had. I never would have considered one of those, terrible material and product quality. This new one though is very nice, I'm very impressed. Like I said, been a Lexus owner for 15 years, so I'm no stranger to quality cars.

I leased the Jeep as opposed to buying it just in case it sucked, and it has 16k miles now and I'm about a year in. Really like it. Reaale looks awful, so I'm glad I leased it, but if it holds up over time I could see owning and enjoying one of these for a long time.
Totally right, instead of being owned by Benz, they're now owned by Fiat. Same ****ty quality, just different ownership . Now with them sharing Fiat parts, I fear for the quality even more.

Chrysler may have improved the look and feel, but it's all a big con job. The same way the Italians can convince people to continue to buy their horribly unreliable cars.
Old 08-02-12, 08:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You should have an open mind give one a shot. It drives great, very smooth and quiet. Like I said, I'm no stranger to quality vehicles...and I like the vehicle a lot. No way I'd even consider an RX over this Jeep for instance, at least not unless I was going to keep it for a long time. Long term reliability and certainly resale remain to be seen.

The vehicles are everywhere. There are 4 new JGC's on my block alone. All the reviews have been good, comparisons, long term tests. It's a nice truck...
Old 08-02-12, 08:51 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

If Sabine Schmitz can pull that time then the car is a dud. She is the queen of the ring. She has gone around the ring more than any other person in the world
Old 08-03-12, 10:40 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Love the comments about how Chrysler sucks, one bad experience, get over it, these things are all over the road and live forever in the south, I use to think JGC were unreliable then I moved to GA and have seen these so called POS with 200k on the clock and still going
Old 08-03-12, 10:42 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
This Chrysler turd continues to amuse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaYFL...layer_embedded
The moose test, how about your a retard who just crashed your car, and your insurance company said you missed the animal, well then thats just an accident, your insurance will go up now, next time hit it
Old 08-03-12, 10:59 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you guys driven any older GC? I had a 2001 limited GC, can't stand anything on it, hated everytime I drive it, sold it in 2 months. Don't understand why that thing was so popular. The new Generation has improved night and day, especially for interior. I actually like the new SRT Jeep very much. But will I own one? Probably not, if I want a powerful beasty SUV, I would get ML63 or X5M, even it would cost a lot more.
Old 08-03-12, 11:09 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are those on the Jeep forums who call this ELK/MOOSE test a sham. LOL

FYI, that test is very helpful since it simulates vehicle safety especially in Scandinavian countries where road surfaces (especially on rural/countrysides) are very UNEVEN. That and combined with heavy ice and snow make driving in such conditions something beyond the normal.

And of course, presence of wild elk/moose in Scandinavia.

Btw, for those out there who argue against the credibility of the elk/moose test, I suggest they read on the facts first. This test has been for MORE THAN 40 YEARS and automakers have taken this or at least should take it seriously............yes so serious in the sense that this test forced Mercedes Benz to go back to the drawing board with the A-class back in 1997 (when the test showed that the car then rolled over dangerously).

So I think anyone calling the elk/moose test as a sham or con is a bit immature.

Nevertheless,
With that said, even after all this, I would still consider buying a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8. This is the fastest Jeep vehicle to-date (Chrysler group even states that it is) and is IMHO, the best Jeep vehicle ever made at the moment.

I'm not saying it is the best performance-oriented SUV out there.........because it obviously is not. However, as far as American-branded sport/performance SUVs go, I think this GC SRT8 is the best one there is atm (unless someone can show me otherwise).

Either way, the outcome of the GC on that Elk/Moose test may be surprising...........but if ever, it will not affect my decision on buying a GC SRT8.

Just saying

Last edited by Blackraven; 08-03-12 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-03-12, 11:11 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Have you guys driven any older GC? I had a 2001 limited GC, can't stand anything on it, hated everytime I drive it, sold it in 2 months. Don't understand why that thing was so popular. The new Generation has improved night and day, especially for interior. I actually like the new SRT Jeep very much. But will I own one? Probably not, if I want a powerful beasty SUV, I would get ML63 or X5M, even it would cost a lot more.
Along with the Explorer and Trailblazer, they were horrible vehicles with no road feel, no steering or brake feel, never understood how they sold but they did, they made the 4Runner and Pathfinder, and any other japanese SUV seem like a modern marvel in handling and performance, but the new JGC seems way different, much improved, and inline with the foreign competition
Old 08-04-12, 06:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I had a 97 Explorer Limited which was a nice truck. Pretty well built, nice interior, nice looking. Rode like a truck, but they all did back then. I agree about previous versions of the Grand Cherokee, terrible comes to mind. Laughably awful materials and build quality, bouncy uneven ride to the point that it was a little scary on the WJ (thats the 99-04), almost unusable backseat. This WK2 Grand Cherokee bears no resemblance to any previous version of the Grand Cherokee from any measurable standpoint. Night and day difference.

[quote=blacksc400I actually like the new SRT Jeep very much. But will I own one? Probably not, if I want a powerful beasty SUV, I would get ML63 or X5M, even it would cost a lot more.[/quote]

You're not the target buyer then. Those vehicles are $40k+ more expensive, thats nearly twice the price. Hardly a reasonable comparison. Thats like saying "I wouldn't buy a Corvette, I would just go buy a Porsche 911", makes no sense really.

Originally Posted by Blackraven
There are those on the Jeep forums who call this ELK/MOOSE test a sham. LOL
I'm not saying its a sham, I'm just saying its interesting that nobody else can recreate the results but these guys. People have tried, US magazines and testers have tried. No dice.
Old 08-04-12, 07:33 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8's 'Ring time is... Irrelevant?

Quick Reply: And the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8's 'Ring time is...