Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Working on Compact CUV

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-12, 11:08 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Lexus Working on Compact CUV

The Lexus RX sits comfortably amidst the BMW X3, Audi Q5, Acura RDX, and Range Rover Evoque. But below it, the Audi Q3 and BMW X1 are snatching up bits of a segment that's not well-populated--at least in theory. Lexis is working to change that, according to the vice president of Lexus Europe.

Speaking to AutoExpress, Andy Pfeiffenberger said the area of the brand's range below the RX will see some development "over the next few years."

While that's a pretty vague statement, it doesn't take much reading between the lines to see a sub-RX model as its focus. The question as to what it might look like is answered largely by the competition.

A handful of variants are likely, including 4-cylinder (though not likely turbocharged), hybrid, and possibly even plug-in hybrid, given parent company Toyota's ongoing development in that field.

While the "next few years" is equally vague, we wouldn't expect to see a production sub-RX crossover on the show stand, much less the roads, before 2015, possibly as late as 2017.
Old 03-29-12, 01:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

whatever it is, I hope there is a range topping V6
Old 03-29-12, 01:13 PM
LexFather

It would make sense...then I guess the RX gains a 3rd row? Cute-Utes are all the rage now looks like Lexus can't afford to ignore this. Also its not just us, they are huge hits in Europe, we haven't gotten the X1 yet b/c demand is so high in Europe they can't build enough!

Probably Rav-4 based?

Lexus only selling the 450h in Europe just makes no sense for sales. They need a smaller model there and models with more efficient/smaller engines, even the existing RX.

Old 03-29-12, 02:31 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

They should bring back the RX300.
IMHO, The design is still up to par, even for todays standards.
Old 03-29-12, 02:40 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't they been talking about this for a few years now? Thing is the way I see it, if you want something smaller than an RX but bigger than a sedan. Lexus should try and work on a wagon again (for sure it won't do well in the US), but it might do well in Europe and in Canada.
Old 03-29-12, 02:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It would make sense...then I guess the RX gains a 3rd row? Cute-Utes are all the rage now looks like Lexus can't afford to ignore this. Also its not just us, they are huge hits in Europe, we haven't gotten the X1 yet b/c demand is so high in Europe they can't build enough!

Probably Rav-4 based?

Lexus only selling the 450h in Europe just makes no sense for sales. They need a smaller model there and models with more efficient/smaller engines, even the existing RX.
yeah, due to taxes and positioning, RX450h is very expensive in Europe.

Lexus Europe has been talking about rav4 based suv for a long time now, so I bet it is coming within year or so... New Rav4 will be unveiled this year.
Old 03-29-12, 04:00 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by spwolf
yeah, due to taxes and positioning, RX450h is very expensive in Europe.

Lexus Europe has been talking about rav4 based suv for a long time now, so I bet it is coming within year or so... New Rav4 will be unveiled this year.
I agree they probably have something in the pipeline based loosely on the Rav4
Old 03-29-12, 05:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I agree they probably have something in the pipeline based loosely on the Rav4
i remember they said quite a while ago (4 years or so), that current rav4 is not suitable for luxury version, so i am assuming that when they designed new rav4 platform thats coming up, they probably made baby Lexus possible as well.
Old 03-29-12, 07:01 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by spwolf
i remember they said quite a while ago (4 years or so), that current rav4 is not suitable for luxury version, so i am assuming that when they designed new rav4 platform thats coming up, they probably made baby Lexus possible as well.
I'd believe it. when the current Rav came out during its time, the RX was more than adequate to cater to social tastes and consumer demand thus there was no need at the time for a baby RX. Fast forward to today and things have changed lol. Really hoping a V6 range topper will be offered considering the RDX now has one
Old 03-29-12, 07:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I'd believe it. when the current Rav came out during its time, the RX was more than adequate to cater to social tastes and consumer demand thus there was no need at the time for a baby RX. Fast forward to today and things have changed lol. Really hoping a V6 range topper will be offered considering the RDX now has one
i dont see why not... but i also mostly hope for nice hybrid version!

and hopefully they dont skimp on Rav4 because of CX!
Old 03-29-12, 08:08 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Cute Useless Ute!!

I thought Lexus said recently they didn't want one because the sales sucked and it wasn't for them?

Then again, it doesn't really bother me if they come out with one. I much rather have a wagon (Lexus CT), than a cute-ute anyways.
Old 03-29-12, 08:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
Cute Useless Ute!!

I thought Lexus said recently they didn't want one because the sales sucked and it wasn't for them?

Then again, it doesn't really bother me if they come out with one. I much rather have a wagon (Lexus CT), than a cute-ute anyways.
rav4 was personally the best car i had (for the money)... Lexus in Europe and Asia needs this bad, so US will get it, like it got CTh.
Old 03-30-12, 07:33 AM
JessePS

Price wise it would have to sell for like about $37,000 (hybrid version). The way I got the number it is the average between the CT200h and RX450h. Plus it would be $2000 less than the current RX350.
Old 03-30-12, 07:43 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I'm in the market for a CUV right now.

I like the Lexus CT200 but its just too small. My wife is giving birth to our first child in 1.5 months and she does not want anything big or too small. The new Honda CRV is on top of our list.
Old 03-30-12, 07:46 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
They should bring back the RX300.
IMHO, The design is still up to par, even for todays standards.
I'd like to see them keep the size of the RX300 and retain that beautiful curved back, but with an updated aerodyamic front, but put a potent amount of power under the hood with good MPG.

Quick Reply: Lexus Working on Compact CUV