Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quick Spin: 2012 Hyundai Equus

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-12, 05:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Quick Spin: 2012 Hyundai Equus

2012 Hyundai Equus

"Hyundai Spreads The Five-liter Love"

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-...photo-4922118/

To hear Hyundai tell it, the company stumbled on something of a hit with the Equus. According to the automaker, the vehicle didn't just waltz past sales projections. It crushed them. Last year, 3,193 Equus models went home to loving families, and while that's not a huge number by any stretch of the imagination, the figure is well better than the 2,000 units Hyundai expected to sell. It was also good enough to snag the company a 5.7-percent share of the premium luxury sedan segment in 2011. So, how does the Korean automaker plan to build on this early Equus momentum? By adding power, of course.

For 2012, the Equus packs the same 5.0-liter V8 engine found in the Genesis Sedan R-Spec as well as a new eight-speed automatic transmission that helps keep fuel economy in check. With a few interior tweaks thrown in for good measure and the same gamut of standard equipment, the Equus continues to be a great reason to give the old stalwarts of luxury a second thought.
Despite the significant mechanical revision, the 2012 Hyundai Equus remains identical to its predecessor outside. The vehicle still wears a proud grille, LED-trimmed headlights and a suitably massive Equus badge on the hood. Even the 19-inch chrome wheels are carryovers from 2011. Still, that's no surprise. The Equus is barely more than two years old, and while the exterior aesthetics aren't likely to wow anyone, we doubt buyers count pupil-dilating styling among reasons to bring the Korean luxury barge home at the end of the day.

At its core, the Equus remains an amazing luxury bargain, and that hasn't changed indoors. Our "base" tester carried an MSRP of $58,750 with destination and included an embarrassing wealth of equipment. With technology like parking assist, smart cruise control and a 7.1-speaker Lexicon sound system to comfort tricks like a 12-way power adjustable massaging driver's seat and automatic dual-temperature control, the Equus isn't found wanting for standard gear.

Engineers did take the time to give the interior a once-over with slight adjustments. The front seats now boast a more comfortable head rest design as well as improved ventilation. Likewise, the rear bench now features a softer center cushion on five-seat models. Otherwise, the gauges, dash and center stack all remain unaltered for 2012.

Pop the hood, and the story changes, however. The 2011 Equus was forced to lug around up to 4,600 pounds with a 385-horsepower 4.6-liter V8. While the engine was perfectly adequate for quietly floating around town, it wasn't exactly capable of producing eye-widening acceleration. Hyundai upped the ante for 2012 with the same 5.0-liter V8 found in the nose of the Genesis Sedan R-Spec. The engine is good for a full 429 horsepower at 6,400 rpm and 376 pound-feet of torque at a similarly lofty 5,000 rpm. Needless to say, the V8 is happiest in its upper octaves where speed piles on quickly.

Despite an additional 44 horses, the 2012 Equus manages to return an EPA-estimated 15 mpg city and 23 mpg highway. The numbers are just one mile per gallon worse than last year's model in both categories, thanks in no small part to the new eight-speed automatic bolted behind the engine.

As you'd expect, the 2012 Equus is a good bit quicker than its forbear. On the road, the vehicle now feels capable instead of merely adequate. Bury a right foot in the throttle, let the engine pull past 6,000 rpm and the bruiser bolts down your lane of choice with authority. Unfortunately, the new thrust isn't paired with any suspension or steering revisions. Expect to endure the same spiritless steering feel and overly soft suspension, even in Sport mode.

Fortunately, the eight-speed automatic transmission is as smooth in this application as it is in the Genesis R-Spec. The gearbox clicks through cogs seamlessly, keeping the engine breathing easy under the hood. Likewise, the shift logic is excellent. Get frisky with the accelerator and the transmission will jump down to the appropriate gear and hold until redline before shifting. It's the right kind of perfect.

With a new drivetrain, it's hard to find an argument against the Equus. Competitors like the Lexus LS460, BMW 750i and Audi A8 all land with price tags thousands of dollars higher than the Equus with less equipment. While the cabin isn't as refined as some of the high-dollar German luxury rides on the market, the model still carries an unsurpassed warranty for the segment wrapped in an attractive, if not conservative, exterior. If badge appeal isn't on the top of your priority list, park the Equus in your garage and enjoy rolling around on a mattress stuffed with the cash you saved.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/28/2...k-spin-review/
Old 03-29-12, 09:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

To hear Hyundai tell it, the company stumbled on something of a hit with the Equus. According to the automaker, the vehicle didn't just waltz past sales projections. It crushed them. Last year, 3,193 Equus models went home to loving families, and while that's not a huge number by any stretch of the imagination, the figure is well better than the 2,000 units Hyundai expected to sell. It was also good enough to snag the company a 5.7-percent share of the premium luxury sedan segment in 2011.
Doesn't surprise me one bit, though the choice of only four dull exterior colors (white/silver/gray/black), in a car of this class, is nothing short of insulting. But, that aside, even though it can't quite equal the tomb-quietness and concert-hall stereo of the Lexus LS460, the substantialy lower price, with comparable size/trim, IMO, makes it a better value.

So, how does the Korean automaker plan to build on this early Equus momentum? By adding power, of course.
I disagree. IMO, it doesn't need any more power.

With a few interior tweaks thrown in for good measure and the same gamut of standard equipment, the Equus continues to be a great reason to give the old stalwarts of luxury a second thought.

At its core, the Equus remains an amazing luxury bargain, and that hasn't changed indoors.
Here, I'll have to agree.
Old 03-29-12, 10:13 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Doesn't surprise me one bit, though the choice of only four dull exterior colors (white/silver/gray/black), in a car of this class, is nothing short of insulting.
Is insulting if the MSRP is $100k, but at $65k, the limited color choice is perfectly understandable. That's one way Hyundai keep the price down. The Equus is at least $30k cheaper then anything else in the segment, nothing is free, you have to cut cost somewhere.

The Equus is not a money losing halo like the LFA, it is intended for profits.

I disagree. IMO, it doesn't need any more power.
More power always feels better. Even for people who don't care about speed, more power makes the driving experience feels more effortless, which is the goal of how a luxury sedan should feels............effortless.

Last edited by BNR34; 03-29-12 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-29-12, 11:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

it's a really incredible value, and a classy vehicle. sure there's differences from a 100K s-class or small differences from an LS460 but the equus has much better wheel fitment and has more presence on the road and parked. still a new LS is coming which will no doubt make the equus look ancient... until its next gen arrives.
Old 03-29-12, 11:22 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's a really incredible value, and a classy vehicle. sure there's differences from a 100K s-class or small differences from an LS460 but the equus has much better wheel fitment and has more presence on the road and parked. still a new LS is coming which will no doubt make the equus look ancient... until its next gen arrives.
I'd only disagree about the presence on the road. You're not going to see it often on the road because of the relatively few sales overall and when you do finally see one, you have to take a second look to confirm that it's not a Mercedes coming at you or an LS from the side.

Either way it's a win for Hyundai, whatever it's worth.
Old 03-29-12, 11:37 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Yes the Equus does indeed have a good stance from the factory, much better then the LS460 Sport or even the brand new GS350 F-Sport. I have a feeling even the next gen 5LS won't come with stance like that.
Old 03-29-12, 11:40 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
I'd only disagree about the presence on the road. You're not going to see it often on the road because of the relatively few sales overall and when you do finally see one, you have to take a second look to confirm that it's not a Mercedes coming at you or an LS from the side.

Either way it's a win for Hyundai, whatever it's worth.
What do presence on the road have anything to do with rarity?
Old 03-29-12, 11:55 AM
scgt652
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't surprise me one bit, though the choice of only four dull exterior colors (white/silver/gray/black), in a car of this class, is nothing short of insulting.
One reason why the Equus only comes in those four colors is because its primary market is Korea, where almost every car on the road is either white, silver, or black. I have been to Korea on prior occasions, and I never saw a yellow, red, or bright blue car.
Old 03-29-12, 12:28 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BNR34
What do presence on the road have anything to do with rarity?

To me presence equals 'standing out from the crowd' That you won't know it's an Equus until you're right on top of it is the opposite of presence (to me). The fact that it's rare because of the overall numbers sold, you're less likely to see it and when you do you still need to do a double take to make sure it's not a Lexus or MB is a negative with regards to presence.

There's nothing about the car itself that give it presence to me. Price tag - yes, seeing it fly by you because of the HP - yes, value - we'll see long term
Old 03-29-12, 12:33 PM
LexFather

Actually the differences are huge, no bigger difference that the interior while nice seems a decade old to differences in technology. Didn't realize wheel fitment was high on buyers priorities in this class and "you" think it has more presence. The LS forum is filled with modified cars for those that want better wheel fitment. The Equus while a great Hyundai doesn't do anything better than the competition.

The improvements to the engine/tranny are fantastic Hopefully the next generation won't look directly like a LS/S-class rip off and will surely show improvement all over.

Old 03-29-12, 12:47 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

To me presence equals 'standing out from the crowd' That you won't know it's an Equus until you're right on top of it is the opposite of presence (to me). The fact that it's rare because of the overall numbers sold, you're less likely to see it and when you do you still need to do a double take to make sure it's not a Lexus or MB is a negative with regards to presence.

There's nothing about the car itself that give it presence to me. Price tag - yes, seeing it fly by you because of the HP - yes, value - we'll see long term
The presence of a car is it feeling significant when you see it.

You are describing "distinctive"

Like how I can barely tell an A8 from an A4, but the A8 sure got a lot more presence. I think the presence of a car is mainly due to size.
Old 03-29-12, 12:48 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hyundai did a good job for the Equus, I saw couple of them on the road, it does have some stance. And the dealer comes to your door to pick up the car for service is a very good selling point.

I don't mind lack of color choice, I would get a white car no matter what brand it is anyway.
Old 03-29-12, 12:58 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I don't mind lack of color choice, I would get a white car no matter what brand it is anyway.
LOL, same here, as long as white is offer, I am good

The Equus is sick man, now I am not worry if I ever go broke, I can always afford a mint low mileage full size LS wannabe for $20k used I'll never have to go down to a Camry.......haha
Old 03-29-12, 01:15 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BNR34
The presence of a car is it feeling significant when you see it.

You are describing "distinctive"

Like how I can barely tell an A8 from an A4, but the A8 sure got a lot more presence. I think the presence of a car is mainly due to size.
I'd disagree but I understand your point.

Presence inspires emotion (to me) and is not relative to size. Distinction helps give it presence (along with size but not necessarily required).

Really does boil down to point of view though. I've seen the Equus on the road and parked and it does nothing to make me think I'm missing out (maybe because I can afford 'true' luxury). (I may be biased as a former Hyundai customer however, I acknowledge that)

I see an Audi or Jag; parked or moving, I feel something.
Old 03-29-12, 09:36 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Yes it depends on point of view and how you define presence too, everyone look at things differently.

I'd disagree but I understand your point.

Presence inspires emotion (to me) and is not relative to size. Distinction helps give it presence (along with size but not necessarily required).
I agree with presence inspires emotion, I feel it is mostly due to size. Like the RR Phantom have a lot of presence because it is huge. A Lotus Elise is very distinctive and cool looking but I don't feel it has presence because it is tiny.

Really does boil down to point of view though. I've seen the Equus on the road and parked and it does nothing to make me think I'm missing out (maybe because I can afford 'true' luxury). (I may be biased as a former Hyundai customer however, I acknowledge that)
I can see that. If you can afford or already owns a nicer car, of course you don't feel you are missing out.

I see an Audi or Jag; parked or moving, I feel something.
I feel something everytime I see a Bentley or Ferrari, because I can't afford them

Quick Reply: Quick Spin: 2012 Hyundai Equus