Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura RLX

Old 09-21-16, 06:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Whether it's worth 55K or not is open to debate. I've driven it, though, and and IMO it's a pretty nice car.....nicer than a lot of people seem to think, although it does lack some of the tank-solid build quality of the previous RL, and the SH-AWD is no longer standard.

Did you try one out today, Steve, while you were out there in Chantilly? I know you sampled a CT6 and Q7, though, of course, with the business you had there, you right not have had time for any more test-drives.
Old 09-21-16, 06:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

No, I just drove those three. I have driven the RLX though, not worth that money.
Old 09-21-16, 07:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Whether it's worth 55K or not is open to debate. I've driven it, though, and and IMO it's a pretty nice car.....nicer than a lot of people seem to think, although it does lack some of the tank-solid build quality of the previous RL, and the SH-AWD is no longer standard.

Did you try one out today, Steve, while you were out there in Chantilly? I know you sampled a CT6 and Q7, though, of course, with the business you had there, you right not have had time for any more test-drives.
I have always liked the Acura flagships.
Old 09-21-16, 08:53 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting. I went test driving cars last week, and since I like smaller cars one on my list was the TLX. It was a decent car, but I wasn't all that impressed. The salesman recommended the RLX for more power, etc. I said "no thanks, if I'm being honest I don't find it competitive in its segment". He just nodded his head. For the money, I would take the TLX over the RLX. It actually looks more stylish, and that is all relative.
Old 09-21-16, 09:48 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I really liked the last RL, nicest interior in class, SHawd standard, lots of features standard, very solid build. I don't care for the RLX too much, though it is nice looking, well built, has plenty of room, and a nice ride. The hybrid model is interesting and pretty impressive. Sad thing is the RLX is one of the few mid size luxury sedans that still has a V6 standard now and instead of a lame 4 cylinder and I admire that about the RLX more now.
Old 09-21-16, 10:01 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

At this point, Acura needs to add a new entry above the TLX and dump the RLX. The former TL was a proper-sized offering, which was lost when they reduced it to the TLX. With the RLX a sales failure, it would make perfect sense to get a fresh new model in above the TLX.
Old 09-22-16, 02:04 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

One of our managers drives this car, he can't wait to get rid of it. Says would never lease an Acura again.
Old 09-22-16, 06:23 AM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
At this point, Acura needs to add a new entry above the TLX and dump the RLX. The former TL was a proper-sized offering, which was lost when they reduced it to the TLX. With the RLX a sales failure, it would make perfect sense to get a fresh new model in above the TLX.
Yes and it should be priced comparatively to a MDX and start low to mid 40's. It's interesting how Hyundai (Genesis) has had better luck selling more expensive cars that Acura.

I think Acura knows this car is overpriced but it doesn't really make sense why they got rid of the base mode. Hopefully the next flagship adopts more daring styling from the precision concept and has more logical pricing.
Old 09-22-16, 06:52 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Guy Legend
Yes and it should be priced comparatively to a MDX and start low to mid 40's. It's interesting how Hyundai (Genesis) has had better luck selling more expensive cars that Acura.

I think Acura knows this car is overpriced but it doesn't really make sense why they got rid of the base mode. Hopefully the next flagship adopts more daring styling from the precision concept and has more logical pricing.
The styling is a major problem with Acuras. It will either need to exude elegance or be more aggressive. Then the powertrain...a flagship model shouldnt have only a 310hp V6. Shove a 400hp turbo 6 in there and you will get people's attention. The Hyundai's actually look different and has a luxury look to it. Plus it has high powered engine options.
Old 09-22-16, 07:00 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

It's not actually a price increase--2016 and 2017 RLX with Technology Package are both exactly $55,390, including destination. What I think it really represents is an acknowledgement that among the already quite small group of people who are interested in this car, almost none want the current base model and opt instead for the Technology or Advance package. So they're just eliminating a choice that nobody wants anyway (arguably they could do this with the whole car, but I digress), and making the minimum choice that anybody made previously the new "base".
Old 09-22-16, 08:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Old 09-22-16, 08:50 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
"Well Jack, we can't seem to give these things away, what should we do?"

"I dunno Bill, why don't we raise the price and see if that helps some"

LOL
Exactly, it makes the car more "premium" to charge a higher "premium." I don't think Acura understands what that word means in automotive terms.
Old 09-22-16, 07:32 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I really liked the last RL, nicest interior in class, SHawd standard, lots of features standard, very solid build. I don't care for the RLX too much, though it is nice looking, well built, has plenty of room, and a nice ride. The hybrid model is interesting and pretty impressive. Sad thing is the RLX is one of the few mid size luxury sedans that still has a V6 standard now and instead of a lame 4 cylinder and I admire that about the RLX more now.
I owned an '05 RL. The dealership gave me basically the original selling price on my '04 TL to trade up to one. It did have a nice interior, a great ELS sound system and great fit/finish. However, it wasn't really sporty and looked more like a Honda. I traded it in 8 months for an '06 Infiniti M45. Now, THAT was a car.
Old 09-22-16, 07:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Care to explain your post, bit? I don't quite follow you.
Old 09-25-16, 08:45 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Maybe this is what he means?

Honda sold just 3,413 units last year.

2016 Acura RLX Gets More Standard Features In Hopes Of Drawing More Buyers

The whole Acura lineup has been getting some attention lately, and now it's the turn of the RLX, as the 2016 Acura RLX gets numerous refinements.

Likely in an effort to minimize configurations and bump up sales, the 2016 RLX, Acura's flagship sedan, goes from five trims to three. The base model is gone, and navigation is now standard on all trims, along with 19-inch wheels. The RLX with Krell Audio trim is also dropped, but it looks like the audio system is still included with the top-trim Advance Package.

Another big story of the 2016 RLX is the addition of a new safety package on most trims. Called AcuraWatch, it's the brand's name for the suite of safety tech such as adaptive cruise control, lane-keep assist, blind-spot monitoring, cross traffic monitor and even the new Road Departure Mitigation system that's also debuting on the 2016 MDX and 2016 Honda Pilot. AcuraWatch is standard on mid-level Technology and top-level Advance cars. Advance trim also benefits from a new surround-view monitor system.

Acura says they've also made changes to the RLX's suspension, decreasing stiffness of the rear stabilizer bar and front and rear spring rates. All of these modifications may improve the RLX's value equation a bit, but with just 3,413 sold in 2014 and a lowly 172 in January, RLX sales could use all the help they can get.

Because there's no base model for 2016, the starting price for the new RLX goes up $2,500 to $50,950. The Technology model (AcuraWatch standard and ELS audio, among other toys) goes for $54,450 and the Advance for $60,450. All of these prices are unchanged from 2015, however, despite the additional features.

Oh, and thanks to the addition of a new color, you can now have a 2016 Acura RLX with AcuraWatch in Acura Silver Metallic. All of that Acura is on sale now.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/03/201...-standard.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Acura RLX