Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura RLX

Old 03-29-12, 09:21 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
SLX
Wow, totally forgot about that one.

And acura still didn't learn from that failure for using an X ?
Old 03-29-12, 09:29 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

RLXXX in 2020 ?
Old 03-29-12, 09:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
RLXXX in 2020 ?
Well, Acura can't control what goes on in the back seat.
Old 03-29-12, 09:49 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Agreed, and there's a new batch of strippers running out of ideas for stage names.
Ha, good one. So true (from what others have told me of course)
Old 03-29-12, 10:08 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

they should have kept the "X" denomination to the SUVs and found another letter for their sedans, like RLS, TSS, ILS. LOL
Old 03-29-12, 11:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Acura is a flop of an entire brand. No sense continuing, I've been right all along.
that is in'acurate' [sic]

acura apparently never planned to be like, uh, brands you'd rather i not name, but as i have repeatedly said, acura has clearly made major gaffes, but it's far, far from a flop.
Old 03-29-12, 11:51 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Designing goods is a "hit 'n miss" thing. Who knows if Acura has learned their mistakes (based on sales) and had waken up. I believe there will be big changes coming from Acura as future models will be astonishing. Remember that 91-95 Legend, The NSX, The 04-06 TL? They have the talents and they know how to make good products.
Old 03-29-12, 12:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that is in'acurate' [sic]

acura apparently never planned to be like, uh, brands you'd rather i not name, but as i have repeatedly said, acura has clearly made major gaffes, but it's far, far from a flop.
Sorry I've been on point in most conversations and predictions. I dug up the last gen RL thread. There are many of us that called it right away and saw it was going to flop and have a hard time and we saw it was a great improvement over the last gen but was going to fail. It failed.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-49-479-a.html

We haven't seen the new one yet so we will all await more predictions but I will say again I don't expect it to do much better than the last gen or do much to elevate the brand.

As you stated, we do hope for the best but the track record in regards to the RL(x) since 1996 has been awful. With a field even more competitive today than in 2005 it has its work cut out.

Old 03-29-12, 05:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry I've been on point in most conversations and predictions. I dug up the last gen RL thread. There are many of us that called it right away and saw it was going to flop and have a hard time and we saw it was a great improvement over the last gen but was going to fail. It failed.
yup, well done, but your earlier post said 'Acura is a flop of an entire brand' - an opinion just not supported by the facts.
Old 03-29-12, 06:41 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

I used to love the Legend. I don't have a problem with the RL or RLX name, I have a problem with it's size, styling and interior materials. This is supposed to be a flagship car for Acura and it looks so small compared to other luxury flagship models (LS, A8, 750, etc.) and the interior and its materials just doesn't seem up to par with the other flagships. It looks like a dressed up Accord. While many would consider my LS' styling somewhat bland, although I think it looks great, most people know just from the size that it is a flagship car. I do get that a loaded one can be had for low $50's but Acura is supposed to be a luxury brand so why not make it more luxurious and make it a true flagship. I don't even know what cars it is supposed to be competing with
Old 03-29-12, 07:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I used to love the Legend. I don't have a problem with the RL or RLX name, I have a problem with it's size, styling and interior materials. This is supposed to be a flagship car for Acura and it looks so small compared to other luxury flagship models (LS, A8, 750, etc.) and the interior and its materials just doesn't seem up to par with the other flagships. It looks like a dressed up Accord. While many would consider my LS' styling somewhat bland, although I think it looks great, most people know just from the size that it is a flagship car. I do get that a loaded one can be had for low $50's but Acura is supposed to be a luxury brand so why not make it more luxurious and make it a true flagship. I don't even know what cars it is supposed to be competing with
Even they admit they are not Tier 1 and are what I would classify as Upscale or Premium. They are going the route of Lincoln which both are aiming more for a HighTech good Value. Acura's main competitors now would be; Volvo, Buick, Chrysler, Saab (though not likely soon), and the now defunct Mercury line.
Old 03-29-12, 07:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

yup, acura is more at buick's near luxury level. i mean the tl and the regal probably aren't far apart in size/features. the regal of course is actually a german opel.

acura does fwd as well as anyone and their sh-awd is trick, but what's really let them down is transmission/engines which are now SO OLD and not competitive in specs, although they're not 'bad'. my girlfriend drives a tsx and the 4 cyl engine in it is actually very responsive and well matched to its transmission. the car is not quiet like a lexus though (not just engine, but road noise too), and the controls are confusing unless you're very familiar with them. the ipod/bluetooth implementation is very good though, certainly better than lexus has been maybe until now. but it's not a luxury car in that there's no cooling seats, and a lot of other luxo features aren't there, so acura needs to step it up to compete, even with upstart brands like hyundai! service at the local dealer has been excellent and they always give a loaner.

with so many other brands stepping up interiors, exterior details, and drivetrains, acura simply MUST up their game, and quick. they don't suck but they're in danger of being surpassed.
Old 03-29-12, 07:24 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Even they admit they are not Tier 1 and are what I would classify as Upscale or Premium. They are going the route of Lincoln which both are aiming more for a HighTech good Value. Acura's main competitors now would be; Volvo, Buick, Chrysler, Saab (though not likely soon), and the now defunct Mercury line.
That makes sense to me now Hoovey. I guess back in the Legend days the four door seemed more like a real luxury flagship. I thought Acura was Tier I because when looking at SUV's I cross shopped the MDX which is close in price to the GX. I always thought Infinity, Lexus and Acura as being Tier I Japanese automakers but taking a step back and looking at the competitors you listed it makes complete sense now that Acura is not one.
Old 03-29-12, 07:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

yup, acura is more at buick's near luxury level. i mean the tl and the regal probably aren't far apart in size/features. the regal of course is actually a german opel.

acura does fwd as well as anyone and their sh-awd is trick, but what's really let them down is transmission/engines which are now SO OLD and not competitive in specs, although they're not 'bad'. my girlfriend drives a tsx and the 4 cyl engine in it is actually very responsive and well matched to its transmission. the car is not quiet like a lexus though (not just engine, but road noise too), and the controls are confusing unless you're very familiar with them. the ipod/bluetooth implementation is very good though, certainly better than lexus has been maybe until now. but it's not a luxury car in that there's no cooling seats, and a lot of other luxo features aren't there, so acura needs to step it up to compete, even with upstart brands like hyundai! service at the local dealer has been excellent and they always give a loaner.

with so many other brands stepping up interiors, exterior details, and drivetrains, acura simply MUST up their game, and quick. they don't suck but they're in danger of being surpassed.
Well new Buick is lower than Acura, they are like VW.... or rather Opels actually.
Old 03-29-12, 09:04 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

again, i want toyota and lexus (and really all brands) to blow us away! the fr-s (sorry, i've lost track if it will be offered as a toyota, or only a scion, plus the subie) is spectacular! well done toyota/subie! i'd actually love to see a luxo version made for lexus to be a boxster fighter!
Sorry to go off topic, but...

Uh nooo.... A Lexus version of the upcoming MR-2 hybrid would be a better Boxster fighter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Acura RLX