Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford teases performance-oriented Explorer

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-12, 05:27 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Its a welcomed addition I am sure. I am just skeptical that it will perform because even though they have a lot of power they also weigh more than 2 tons usually
I wouldn't say perform. They whole heartedly admit its not GC SRT8 competitor. More a 5.7L Hemi GC and Durango R/T
Old 03-28-12, 09:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Hopefully Ford has trained it to rollover & land on it's feet, I mean tires!

Old 03-29-12, 12:07 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ That must have hurt lol

I'm sure a higher performance version would do well for Ford. Seems to be a good number of people around SoCal that like buying sporty SUV's
Old 03-29-12, 09:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its funny the Explorer got ripped left and right for being an awful effort but people don't care, they seem to love the styling. I see tons on the roads.
Explorers always did sell like hotcakes, even during the Wilderness-tire fiasco. The Explorer and Jeep Grand Cherokee literally transformed the change in the vast reaches of suburbia from traditional station-wagons to all-weather AWD SUVs.
Old 03-29-12, 10:11 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my country (Philippines), both Explorer V6 and Durango Citadel V6 are available. Meanwhile, the Explorer 2.0 Ecoboost will be launched tomorrow. here

I've been seeing a lots of them here (since we're the only country in South East Asia where Ford sells the new Explorer). A fantastic vehicle indeed and has more suave and dynamism over the predecessors.

With that said, I'm definitely excited for this Sport model
Old 03-29-12, 11:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Hopefully Ford has trained it to rollover & land on it's feet, I mean tires!
that's so 12 years ago.

ford had firestone tires on explorers back then and recommended lower tire pressures than firestone did which may have lead to the problems, although back then suvs in general didn't have the stability control or general balance they do now. the outcome today though is that ford usually supplies wonderful michelin tires (like they did on my 06 explorer) and mine has the 'vsc' (stability control) so i have no concerns at all.

anyway, ford has proven critics wrong who have said the explorer was toast with so many other choices out there. way to go ford.
Old 03-29-12, 03:08 PM
rosskoss
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no idea what you your rant it about. smh

looks great to me.

I think it's the best looking SUV/large CUV in it's class by far...including many luxury vehicles. This version looks hot as well!

Fantastic original design done right.
Old 03-29-12, 03:55 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Love the interior. My only change/mod to the exterior would be getting rid of the EXPLORER badging on the hood
Old 03-29-12, 04:24 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Ehh, it's still a Ford. lol... jk or not...

Good for Ford, it seems the new Explorer is a hit. I wonder how it will fare in long term durability/reliability. Hopefully people don't have to Fork Over Repair Dough.
Old 03-29-12, 05:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
I wonder how it will fare in long term durability/reliability. Hopefully people don't have to Fork Over Repair Dough.
another hilarious joke must be why ford f-150 is the best selling vehicle of any kind in north america. my related 06 explorer has been trouble free except for one tranny issue (lumpy shift 1-2) early on fixed under warranty with software. other than that, nuttin' except oil changes and other simple maintenance i do myself.
Old 03-29-12, 05:54 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

another hilarious joke must be why ford f-150 is the best selling vehicle of any kind in north america. my related 06 explorer has been trouble free except for one tranny issue (lumpy shift 1-2) early on fixed under warranty with software. other than that, nuttin' except oil changes and other simple maintenance i do myself.
Glad to hear your Explorer has been reliable. Ford has stepped up their game for sure, hopefully it stays that way. It'll keep other auto manufacturers on their toes, everyone needs competition.
Old 03-29-12, 06:29 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

my 2003 Explorer has been solid since day one. Never had any issues. My only regret is not getting the V8 lol
Old 03-29-12, 07:34 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its funny the Explorer got ripped left and right for being an awful effort but people don't care, they seem to love the styling. I see tons on the roads.

A higher power Explorer sounds like a great range topping idea.
Originally Posted by whoster
I started seeing Explorers on the road here in droves even before the magazines had time to publish how "bad" it was.

It's definitely a looker
From what I read it does seem to be selling quite well.

However, it's quite a rare site to seem em where I live. I think i may have seen maybe 3 since this new style debuted?