Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2013 Subaru BRZ

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-12, 09:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce van
All of those who have cried about having only boring, overpriced cars will now have to finally put your money where your mouth is.

That car you've been begging for is finally here. Prove to the bean counters at Toyota & Subaru that there is a market for this car and buy one.

If this car doesn't sell, we have no one to blame but ourselves.
just because toyota will now offer one fun car doesn't mean critics all have to buy it. your argument makes no sense.

so, are you going to buy one?
Old 03-28-12, 09:41 AM
lexo16
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think whats going to hurt the subaru/toyota sales with this car is the starting price and also the power of the car. Im sure trd version will have options like they did for the TC but a supercharged trd version will probably be $35k. Alot of enthusiast will be waiting to grab these on the used market. Im pretty sure I will.
Old 03-28-12, 10:03 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by lexo16
I think whats going to hurt the subaru/toyota sales with this car is the starting price and also the power of the car. Im sure trd version will have options like they did for the TC but a supercharged trd version will probably be $35k. Alot of enthusiast will be waiting to grab these on the used market. Im pretty sure I will.
if you want really cheap, there is tC or Veloster or many others... but you dont get anywhere as good car, nor you get sports car.

FR-S is actually cheaper than MR-S or Celica, all things considered.
Old 03-28-12, 10:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I won't fully-comment until I review one (it's on my review-list, by CL-request), but, from what I saw at the D.C. auto show in January, I think this may finally be the car for those who lament the passing of the old, simple, Datsun 240Z of the early 70s. Just from a cursory-review at the show (and sitting in one), it looks like the best modern-replacement yet.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-28-12 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-28-12, 05:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
just because toyota will now offer one fun car doesn't mean critics all have to buy it. your argument makes no sense.

so, are you going to buy one?
Maybe it needs a fluffy Hyundai badge

I think what Bruce is saying holds some merit. People need to **** on the internet and buy this car. This car is 100% directly aimed at enthusiasts, by enthusiasts at a very affordable price. I agree with you that there is other competition in this price range but not for this type of pure car. As a review just stated its a Cayman at 1/2 price.

Honda fanboys dying for the return of cars never coming need to buy this. Nissan fanboys dying for the 240SX to come back need to buy this. VW fanboys dying for the Corrado or whatever to come here need to buy this. etc etc I hope people get past their innate hate and give this car a chance. This car is EXACTLY what people have *****ed and moaned about on the internet for years. Its light, its not filled with tech, its moddable, it is usable, it gets good MPG and it is one hell of a sports car. Then the price again is affordable. The main drawback I guess are people saying 200hp ain't enough but that doesn't stop people from buying FWD Civic Si's, GTi, and other FWD cars does it?

So far sales have been brisk in Japan lets hope in America the Scion badge doesn't hurt sales and people buy it no matter what its called.

B/C this maybe one of the last attempts at a car of this nature.

Now you are going to ask me "am I going to buy it"? I seriously want to see how it fits me.

Old 03-28-12, 05:03 PM
LexFather

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...4#ixzz1qSHHhcy

Subaru's new BRZ sports coupe is off to a brisk start in Japan, selling at a monthly rate quadruple its initial forecast.

Since the car debuted Feb. 3, Subaru parent Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. has sold 3,551 of the rear-wheel-drive BRZs, the company said Wednesday in a press release.

Subaru had forecast monthly sales of only 450 units in Japan. But it is not uncommon for newly released models in Japan to at first see explosive orders that gradually taper off.

The sporty 2.0-liter, four-cylinder BRZ, which starts at 2.06 million yen ($24,830) in Japan for a stripped-down version, is the platform-sharing twin of the Scion FR-S.

The car goes on sale in the United States on April 20 with a monthly sales goal of 500.

Initial sales data seem to suggest the BRZ is tapping a coveted younger customer base attracted to the car’s promise of sportier driving.

So far, nearly 60 percent of BRZ customers are under 40 years of age--and two-thirds are picking the six-speed manual over the automatic transmission. The top-selling color is WR blue mica, in a nod to the signature hue of Subaru’s WRX performance line.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...#ixzz1qSYAU3De

Old 03-28-12, 05:18 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike is too big and tall to sit comfortable in it!
Old 03-28-12, 05:40 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Best mods are to the driver I've been running daily and eating better so I can fit If I don't stick with it you will know at the next meet if I'm breathing hard

Old 03-28-12, 06:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Best mods are to the driver I've been running daily and eating better so I can fit If I don't stick with it you will know at the next meet if I'm breathing hard
i need to start that... by walking... been to lazy last few years to go running anywhere! :-)
Old 03-28-12, 06:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Maybe it needs a fluffy Hyundai badge
of course not.

I think what Bruce is saying holds some merit. People need to **** on the internet and buy this car. This car is 100% directly aimed at enthusiasts, by enthusiasts at a very affordable price. I agree with you that there is other competition in this price range but not for this type of pure car. As a review just stated its a Cayman at 1/2 price.
i agree with what you're saying but to me that's not what bruce said. i think the car is outstanding, and wil sell on its merits. but bruce is saying that somehow because people have complained the rest of toyota's lineup is dull they now have some kind of obligation to buy the fr-s and that's absurd. we can analyze car line-ups and may even drool over an fr-s but it may not make sense or be possible in our lives.

I hope people get past their innate hate
well there you go again... if anyone has 'innate hate' (or blind love) of a particular brand that's pretty stupid. most brands have models that do and don't appeal to each of us to varying degrees.

This car is EXACTLY what people have *****ed and moaned about on the internet for years. Its light, its not filled with tech, its moddable, it is usable, it gets good MPG and it is one hell of a sports car. Then the price again is affordable. The main drawback I guess are people saying 200hp ain't enough but that doesn't stop people from buying FWD Civic Si's, GTi, and other FWD cars does it?
agreed and even if someone has an 'innate hate' of toyota, it's cool that subie has their version too.

if circumstances are right, i'd like one of these (or scion/toyota one), but it probably won't happen.

Now you are going to ask me "am I going to buy it"? I seriously want to see how it fits me.
Old 03-28-12, 06:54 PM
LexFather

Smile

Originally Posted by spwolf
i need to start that... by walking... been to lazy last few years to go running anywhere! :-)
Yeah...its been great so far. We also moved where there are tons of sidewalks so there is no excuse for me. Must be my inner Euro/NYC

Old 03-28-12, 09:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Once inside and seated, the cabin is a little roomier than it looks, but it is a little tough for guys the size of me and Mike to stoop and get in or out.

I find the best way to save my back getting in and out of cars is to stand up, face away from the seat, lower straight back down into it, then turn 90 degrees to the right, facing straight ahead....and do the opposite getting out. This works fine except on very small and low-slung cars like the Elise and Miata.

Some big Chrysler-products from the 50s and early-60s offered a swivel-seat feature to help accomodate this type of entry/exit, but it didn't last, probably due to production-costs.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-28-12 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-28-12, 09:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Once inside and seated, the cabin is a little roomier than it looks, but it is a little tough for guys the size of me and Mike to stoop and get in or out.

I find the best way to save my back getting in and out of cars is to stand up, face away from the seat, lower straight back down into it, then turn 90 degrees to the right, facing straight ahead....and do the opposite getting out. This works fine except on very small and low-slung cars like the Elise and Miata.

Some big Chrysler-products from the 50s and early-60s offered a swivel-seat feature to help accomodate this type of entry/exit, but it didn't last, probably due to production-costs.
I guess on the other hand a Town Car looks nice and comfy

Old 03-29-12, 08:40 AM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

I'd buy one, looks pretty damn nice. I definitely think they will come out with either a turbo or supercharged model in the not too distant future after they see how well this one does in the market. Maybe this little car will build the road on the market for the comeback of the next Supra
Old 03-29-12, 09:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I guess on the other hand a Town Car looks nice and comfy
Feels comfy, too. Most automakers have forgotten what true riding-comfort is, though BMW seems to do the best job of combining comfort with driver-centered road-manners.

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2013 Subaru BRZ