Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 MX-5 Miata thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-12, 09:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2016 MX-5 Miata thread

The Miata has turned out to be the best-selling two-seat roadster in history. That is not surprising, of course, when you consider that it was the first (and longest-running) roadster to combine classic British sports-car fun with modern Japanese reliability (those of you who struggled with the notorious British Lucas electrical-systems and Leak-O-Matic gaskets/seals will know just what I am talking about). I personally find Miatas fun to drive, but, especially in the midget-sized first and second-generation models, just too cramped for guys my size.

I know that a lot of you guys like the car, though...and Car & Driver has had it on its Ten Best list for many years. Here is some advance-info on the next-generation model, due next year.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/mazda/2...-ar101489.html
Old 03-22-12, 02:43 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds very promising. If the car heavily influenced by the concept car design, I might want to get one. Power can be added with bolt ons and stuff, but under 1000kg is really rare for today standard especially for a car starting under 25k. Hopefully, there will be a hard top, not hard retractable.
Old 03-22-12, 08:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cino
Sounds very promising. If the car heavily influenced by the concept car design, I might want to get one. Power can be added with bolt ons and stuff, but under 1000kg is really rare for today standard especially for a car starting under 25k. Hopefully, there will be a hard top, not hard retractable.
Miatas had a bolt-on hard-top option for years, but it didn't necesarily come with the car...the dealer had to order it, and it came painted in the body-color.

The retractable hard-top, of course, gives you the best of both worlds (especially in high-crime areas where thieves are likely to cut the fabric-top open). But, otherwise, IMO, it makes little sense considering how easy and simple folding the convertible-top is. Sitting in the driver's seat, with my right hand and arm, I myself have unsnapped the header-latch and folded the top all the way back in a mere three seconds. I'd recommend the power-hardtop option only in bad neighborhoods or for people with arm/hand/shoulder problems that can't fold it manually.
Old 03-23-12, 12:51 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I once heard someone say that if they had to name the best sports car on the market for a reasonable price and they said it would be the Miata. It was dollar for dollar the best roadster. Inexpensive, reliable, great driving dynamics, and a very evolved chassis and power plants. What else could anyone need.........as long as you can fit. I couldn't get a leg into a Miata
Old 03-23-12, 04:39 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

This should be the correct link:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/auto-new...014-mazda-mx-5

2200lbs and 150hp sounds nice...getting back to its roots. i hope they have a coupe variant this time around as well to further reduce weight...
Old 03-23-12, 07:15 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Having owned, modded and autocrossed these little beasts for 15 years (and still owning one) I can attest these things are very fun to drive, reliable as heck, and easy to work on... at least the older ones (NA and NB). The NC's have too many electronics to wrench on like their predecessors. If Mazda can get back to the roots a little more with the ND it would be great. The current models, IMO, are a bit too fat. As has been discussed on some other forums the NB/NC's are good cars, the NA's are good Miatas. Hopefully the ND will once again be a good Miata.

As far as the retractable hard top I've had the opportunity on numerous occassions to drive both the soft and hard top current models. The hard top, besides security and silence, also adds a bit more rigidity to the vehicle when the top is up. The older models with the slide and latch on (not bolt on) hard tops benefited in the same manner. Sans the hard top the other viable option for adding rigidity (and safety) was to install a roll bar. Mazda tried during the 94-97 years to put a cross bar behind the seats which did absolutley nothing.
Old 03-23-12, 01:19 PM
jaseman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to see the Miata get back closer to it's roots. My NA was such a great car to drive, and the NB's were right on par. The NC became a little less Miata to me. They lost the feel of an old MGB, Spitfire, or like, that the first two gens had. The NC is still a fun car, but not quite as 'enthusiast' oriented.

Drop the weight back down to 2100-2200 lbs. Keep it strictly a manually operated soft-top. And make it less for the masses, and more for the driver.

No I really miss my NA....
Old 03-23-12, 03:01 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I owned an NB for a few years, and it was great fun while I had it.

Friend of mine just picked up an NA a few months back and......dammit I miss my NB.
Old 03-24-12, 06:19 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Wow. Didn't know there were so many Miata fans around here. Sweet
Old 03-24-12, 09:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
Wow. Didn't know there were so many Miata fans around here. Sweet
There are Miata fans everywhere. In fact, one of our moderators owned one.
Old 03-25-12, 10:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There are Miata fans everywhere. In fact, one of our moderators owned one.
^^ yup. and i miss it.

those who say mazda should get 'back to their roots' and that the NC missed it, obviously aren't very tall. i am 6'3" and the NA/NB just didn't work for me. the NC was great, although i trimmed the giant dead pedal rest so i could stretch out my left leg when on highway.

then there are those who say the miata is a 'chic's car' - they obviously haven't seen who actually drives and buys these things... there's a younger set, typically buys used ones to autocross and have fun with, and then there's an 'older' (40+) crowd that buys them as a substitute for that british sports car they always wanted!

the NC grand touring i had was really great. if i could have kept it (financial reasons at the time forced me to sell) i would have upgraded the springs/shocks/sways for a better look/handling. the factory LSD was awesome, controls simple, engine just perfect, shifter great... convertible roof could not be simpler (genius design) - up and down with one hand in about 5 seconds!

the FR-S will give it some competition, although the 'older crowd' will probably think the FR-S is a bit too youthful. here in FL at least miatas are VERY popular, although the car, being a small convertible, has never sold in huge numbers anywhere.
Old 03-25-12, 01:20 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a 1991 Eunos Roadster (Japanese version of the Miata/MX-5) tucked away in a garage that we imported a dozen or so years ago and its a cracking little car. It's never missed a beat, cost buttons in maintenance, and there are few better cars to take out on the back roads on a sunny day for a blast around. Hopefully, it'll go for another 10 years.
Old 03-25-12, 04:23 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really dont understand all the fuss over the miata. Still looks like a hairdresser's car to me. Ive driven an older one and i really was not thrilled.
Maybe its just me. I hate convertibles in all forms.
Old 03-25-12, 04:25 PM
LexFather

I was driving and saw a huge Miata caravan..must have been a nice event. I agree absolutely wonderful vehicles. My favs
-A pure white NA with the flp up headlights, black interior
-MX-5 Mazdaspeed NB
-I really like the hardtop NC.

I had the pleasure of bitkahuna ripping up some roads in his NC and what a balanced car. I completely agree the NC was great for actually being able to fit us (I am 6'5) and while tight much better than any previous Miata.

Can't wait for the new one!

Old 03-25-12, 08:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 03 ES
I really dont understand all the fuss over the miata. Still looks like a hairdresser's car to me.
Hairdresser? Well, in one sense, you're right. With the top down, your hair may in fact get blown around a little and need a little work afterwards. But if you mean it's primarily a female or "Chick" car, I don't agree. Yes, a fair number of women do drive Miatas (even some that I worked with)....but, as bitkahuna pointed out above, so do autocrossers, sports-track drivers, and many others who simply enjoy a pure, simple, non-nonsense, and affordable sports-car. The Miata, like the Honda Accord and BMW 3-series, has not been on Car & Drivers' Ten-Best list, years on end, for nothing.

I've driven an older one and i really was not thrilled.
Maybe its just me. I hate convertibles in all forms.
Are you a large, heavy guy like me? Part of the problem, with older Miatas, is just getting in and out, which, admitted, is best done by small, thin people. The 3Gen model was a little more space-friendly....but not much.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-25-12 at 09:12 PM.

Quick Reply: 2016 MX-5 Miata thread