Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 MX-5 Miata thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-15, 09:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Just saying that in stock trim the wheels look rather tiny in those huge wheel openings, and the whole car could stand to be lowered about an inch, as there a huge gap between the top of the tire and the fender.
agreed - it's always been that way, except if you get the mazdaspeed springs, which i doubt are available for the brand new ND yet. or go third party of course, which for mx5 is huge.

problem with lowering though, is that the car's body is already VERY low, so if it's lowered still further, retirees who buy 'em in droves will have a hard time getting in and out. heck i'm not retired, but at 6'3 i used to have a bit of a challenge getting in and out of the NC i had.
Old 02-10-15, 09:51 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mazda Brings 2016 MX-5 Accessories Design Concept to Chicago Show

Mazda doesn't want to wait for SEMA in September to give us a first look at the customization options for their new 2016 MX-5 having prepared a special concept for this week's Chicago show.

According to the Japanese carmaker, the 2016 MX-5 Accessories Design Concept previews "what may be in store for those looking to personalize their car".

In the single rear-quarter teaser released by Mazda, we see a discreet boot lid spoiler, a rear apron and new BBS black alloy wheels.

There's no set date yet, but the all-new 2016 MX-5 roadster is expected to go on sale in the States in the third or fourth quarter of the year.

Along with the tuning study, Mazda said that it's Chicago auto show stand will host the debut of "MX-5 merchandise design concepts from Mazda's upcoming Heritage Collection — three apparel collections inspired by key themes of Mazda's past, present and future".
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/02/maz...cessories.html
Old 02-12-15, 09:52 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default 2016 Mazda MX-5 Accessories Concept Shows Off Its Aero Mods in Chicago

Click here to view more photos

Mazda has released details on the 2016 MX-5 Accessories Concept that's having its world debut at the Chicago Auto Show today. It gets an aero kit, BBS wheels and Brembo brakes.

The aero kit comes with a front apron, side sill extensions, rear bumper skirt and a discreet boot lid spoiler. If it looks familiar, it's because it's based on the gloss-black aero package featured on the 2016 MX-5 Global Cup Car that debuted at SEMA in November.

The study rides on black 17-inch BBS lightweight alloy wheels with a 45mm offset wrapped in 205/45R17 tires, behind which we see the new Brembo front brakes and red calipers on all four corners.

In a separate display, the Japanese firm will preview a new carbon-fiber Luggage Rack that weighs less than 2 pounds (~0.9 kg) and which includes an integrated Center High Mount Stop Lamp mounting directly on the trunk.

We should have more photos of the accessories study later in the day.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/02/201...s-concept.html
Old 02-12-15, 01:24 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did somebody delete my post that showed my "photochopped" version of the MX-5? - (the front grill opening was turned upside down.)
Did I break any forum rules? If so, apologies. But appreciate if you can let me know so that I do not do anything like that again.
Old 02-12-15, 06:01 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default New 2016 Mazda MX-5 Looks So Much Better With A Sports Kit

Click here to view more live photos

See what a difference even a subtle aero package and a touch bigger wheels can make to a car's appearance and stance?

Enter Mazda's prototype sports package for the new MX-5 roadster that's on display at the 2015 Chicago Auto Show this week.

We'll agree with those of you who mentioned in our comments that this is how Mazda should offer the MX-5 or at least, make it part of a trim-level or package.

What's include here is an aero kit (borrowed from the MX-5 cup racer pictured in red below) with front and rear aprons, extended side sills, and a boot spoiler, a set of 17-inch BBS wheels finished in black, Brembo front brakes and red brake calipers all around.

"The concept parts and accessories we have showcased at the Chicago Auto Show were developed to give customers a look at what is possible for the new cars to make them truly one-of-a-kind, adding to that excitement," said Mazda's North American boss, Jim O'Sullivan.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/02/new...s-so-much.html
Old 02-26-15, 10:44 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Did somebody delete my post that showed my "photochopped" version of the MX-5? - (the front grill opening was turned upside down.)
Did I break any forum rules? If so, apologies. But appreciate if you can let me know so that I do not do anything like that again.
oops...found it. It was another thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ml#post8896213

Old 03-09-15, 08:21 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default New Mazda MX-5 Enters Production at Hiroshima Plant [w/Video]

Mazda has just announced that the new MX-5 (whose look has started growing more on us) has been put into series production at its Ujina Plant No.1 in Hiroshima.

This means first cars will hit showrooms in Japan somewhere around the start of June and the automaker reports that the model “will be progressively rolled out to overseas markets.”

Mazda also reminds us that the new MX-5 was designed and engineered under the “innovate in order to preserve” motto, which may sound contradictory, yet it’s resulted in a vehicle with undeniable qualities (this is obvious even without driving one, just going over the specs).

It’s a much more enticing car than its predecessor which was kind of getting a bit long in the tooth, even with progressively creepier smiles (facelifts) grafted on. And now that we think of it, we do actually see that they kept true to the declared motto and the finished product reflects this in spades.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/03/new...uction-at.html
Old 03-09-15, 03:44 PM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Gotta admit this car looks pretty damn slick
Old 03-12-15, 03:07 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default 2016 Mazda MX-5 arriving next week for free in Forza Horizon 2 [video]

Part of the Mazda MX-5 Car Pack

Microsoft and Mazda have announced the new MX-5 Miata will make its video game debut next week in Forza Horizon 2.

The fourth generation of the much loved roadster is now heading to XBOX ONE's Forza Horizon 2 as part of a free Mazda MX-5 pack set to be offered starting March 17. Aside from the 2016MY, the pack also includes a 2010MY MX-5 Super20 SEMA concept, a 2005MY MAZDASPEED MX-5 and a 1990MY MX-5.

Microsoft and Mazda are giving you the possibly to actually win the new Miata if you participate in the Time Trial Rivals Contest which will kick off on March 17 and last until April 30. You will have to log into Xbox Live using an XBOX ONE console and then head to one of these channels: Games, Music, Movies or Apps.

You will then have to click on a Mazda MX-5 ad to enter the hub from where you'll need to register to enter the contest and then play in Rival Mode event using a 2016 Mazda MX-5 on the Sisteron Perimeter Sprint Track. The fastest two virtual racers will be flown to L.A. in June to participate in a head-to-head race, with the winner of the duel driving home in the new Miata.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11503129...-free-in-forza
Old 03-13-15, 09:35 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Post 2016 Mazda MX-5 US-spec weighs 2,332 lbs

Equipped with a 2.0-liter engine

The 2016MY Mazda MX-5 Miata in U.S. specification will have a curb weight of 2,332 lbs (1,057 kg).

Boasting a perfect 50:50 weight distribution, the new MX-5 is not only 105mm shorter, 20mm lower and 10mm wider than its predecessor, but it's also lighter as Mazda’s engineers were able to reduce weight to 2,332 lbs (1,057 kg). This figure is applicable for the manual transmission US-spec model which has a 2.0-liter engine whereas the Euro model will use a smaller 1.5-liter motor that should grant an estimated weight of 2,200 lbs (998 kg).

Mazda says the US-spec MX-5 equipped with the optional automatic transmission will add 49 lbs (22 kg) which means it will tip the scales at 2,381 lbs (1,080 kg). Adding the same amount of weight to the Euro-spec model in automatic guise translates into a curb weight of 2,249 lbs (1,020 kg).

For the sake of comparison, the 2015 MX-5 US-spec weighs 2,480 lbs (1,124 kg) with the manual and 2,542 lbs (1,153 kg) with the automatic.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11503139...eighs-2332-lbs
Old 03-25-15, 07:34 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Mazda To Debut More "Aggressive" 2016 MX-5 Club Edition In New York

Even though we're still waiting for the new 2016 MX-5 to go on sale, Mazda is already at work expanding the range with the world premiere of the 'Club Edition' at next week's NY Auto Show.

According to the release, the "MX-5 Club represents the most aggressive road-going iteration of Mazda's fourth-generation flagship roadster".

The only other piece of information we got from Mazda is that, like the rest of the North American range, the MX-5 Club Edition will draw its power from the standard 2.0-liter SKYACTIVE inline-four delivering 155hp and 148 lb-ft of torque, so no changes under the hood.

Mazda could fiddle around with the car's chassis components, while also reducing weight and adding aerodynamic aids, possibly borrowing elements from the race-spec 2016 MX-5 Cup and the 2016 MX-5 sports package prototype from last month's Chicago Auto Show, both shown in the gallery below.

We'll have to wait for next week's New York Auto Show to find out.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/03/maz...e-2016-mx.html
Old 03-25-15, 09:54 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Only the 2.0?! If not a 2.5 option they could have at least tinkered with the 2.0 for a special application of this motor rather than being pulled straight from a Mazda3. A car as legendary as the Miata deserves something special
Old 04-01-15, 06:05 AM
Kelmin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never thought I would ever like the MX-5, but having seen this new one from different angles...

I think it's pretty cool.

I really don't mind that it maintains a small engine.
Given what the car is designed for... FUN.
(I don't remember the MX-5 ever being about big horsepower, big numbers.
This iteration stays true to that, and Mazda has not lost its way with this car. Unlike Honda in North America)

I also think its creepy that from this angle... the MX-5 reminds me of something totally strange.
Attached Thumbnails 2016 MX-5 Miata thread-2016-mazda-mx-5-club-front-view-in-motion-01.jpg   2016 MX-5 Miata thread-marshmallow-man.jpg  
Old 04-01-15, 09:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

^^^ haha, good comparison.

and you're right, light sports cars are fun and don't need huge hp.
Old 04-01-15, 11:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna;

problem with lowering though, is that the car's body is already VERY low, so if it's lowered still further, retirees who buy 'em in droves will have a hard time getting in and out. heck i'm not retired, but at 6'3 i used to have a bit of a challenge getting in and out of the NC i had.
Even for guys our size, getting in and out of a Miata, while not easy, is a piece of cake compared to a Lotus Elise. I will never forget my Elise review.....NEVER.

Quick Reply: 2016 MX-5 Miata thread