Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 MX-5 Miata thread

Old 04-01-15, 03:17 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Even for guys our size, getting in and out of a Miata, while not easy, is a piece of cake compared to a Lotus Elise. I will never forget my Elise review.....NEVER.
I've never had a problem getting in/out of the Miata. Yes its low, but the doors are short. Much more of a PITA if you're in something like a Mustang or Challenger in a tight parking lot. Worst car ever was my old 1999 Camaro, doors were so long, car was too low, seat bolster was always in the way.
Old 04-02-15, 04:16 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Only the 2.0?! If not a 2.5 option they could have at least tinkered with the 2.0 for a special application of this motor rather than being pulled straight from a Mazda3. A car as legendary as the Miata deserves something special
yes, my only complaint is pedestrian engine... everything else looks great. 2zz-ge or vtec would have done wonders in this light car.
Old 04-02-15, 05:20 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Putting in bigger engine would probably affect many components that would need to be replaced as well which means not only weight increase but more importantly MSRP increase.

MX5 definitely has a brand recognition and it could sell better than GT86 family but I not sure there is a sustainable market for cheap, small, non-powerful but fun cars anymore.
Old 04-03-15, 08:10 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
yes, my only complaint is pedestrian engine... everything else looks great. 2zz-ge or vtec would have done wonders in this light car.
More powerful Miata will be distributed by Fiat.
Old 04-03-15, 09:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I've never had a problem getting in/out of the Miata. Yes its low, but the doors are short. Much more of a PITA if you're in something like a Mustang or Challenger in a tight parking lot. Worst car ever was my old 1999 Camaro, doors were so long, car was too low, seat bolster was always in the way.
You might not be my size. I'm 6' 2" and quite heavy. And bitkahuna, I think, is a little taller than that. The main issue with the Miata for big guys is not necessarily its door length, but the very low-stance of the car, and the very limited clearance under the steering wheel for big or long legs, even with the column adjusted upwards. But even the Miata is a breeze compared to the Lotus Elise. I could write a whole book about what it took for me to get in and out of an Elise the day I reviewed one, back in August of 2007. The salesperson, for one, urged me to give up. He thought it was going to be impossible.....and he made his living selling the Elise.
Old 04-03-15, 10:22 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You might not be my size. I'm 6' 2" and quite heavy. And bitkahuna, I think, is a little taller than that. The main issue with the Miata for big guys is not necessarily its door length, but the very low-stance of the car, and the very limited clearance under the steering wheel for big or long legs, even with the column adjusted upwards. But even the Miata is a breeze compared to the Lotus Elise. I could write a whole book about what it took for me to get in and out of an Elise the day I reviewed one, back in August of 2007. The salesperson, for one, urged me to give up. He thought it was going to be impossible.....and he made his living selling the Elise.
LOL, At 6'3" 240 I used the crawl method to exit my friends Elise.
Old 04-03-15, 11:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
Yes, for the most part, I also had to, except that I'm (probably) heavier and bigger around than you are, so for me, it was even more complex. Then, of course, one in, there's the matter of using the clutch, with your left leg wrapped around the ultra-low, non-adjustable steering wheel. As you note, LOL is about the best way to describe it.
Old 04-05-15, 09:56 AM
Kelmin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
LOL

I remember back in 2005 a friend and I drove out to the west coast to check out an Elise, that he eventually purchased.

I am not nearly as tall as you folks, only 5'8, but as a man of girth! ; I too had to do a strange 'twist & shout', hand crawl move to get out of the Lotus (at first... I later worked out a better way)

I think the best way to get in and out would be if we were built like crabs and slid sideways into these low to the ground sports cars

Now I don't remember if the MX-5 is THAT low, but I'll be certain to try it out when the dealers get them here...
In the land of pick-up trucks and SUV's here (Calgary); small sports cars, and convertibles are a rare sight, especially since we have snow most months of the year... getting hit in the face/head with gravel by rowdy aggressive drivers spinning their tires, is NOT my idea of fun.
I digress.

I'm in the market for a Boxster, before Porsche swaps over to an all turbo engine line-up
The MX-5 is also on my short list, it looks great, and I'm sure it drives really nicely! I'm quite eager to test it out!

Last edited by Kelmin; 04-05-15 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-07-15, 06:50 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

5'6" and 185, still a bit fat. When I was 30lbs heavier, I literally wouldn't fit in the factory sport seats in my friend's old 1988 325i BMW, the bolsters were too narrow and high on the bottom cushion.

As for the Miata, I find there is plenty of room, something I could not say about the Sky/Solstice duo from GM a few years ago. Whoever designed that interior was a moron or a sadist, only people that would fit in that car would be 4'10" Japanese women lol.
Old 04-07-15, 07:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000

As for the Miata, I find there is plenty of room, something I could not say about the Sky/Solstice duo from GM a few years ago. Whoever designed that interior was a moron or a sadist, only people that would fit in that car would be 4'10" Japanese women lol.

Guys my size found them both somewhat cramped, but it seemed like the biggest advantage the Miata had over the GM twins (besides overall build-quality) was its ingeniously simple, easy-to-use manual drop-top, which can be done from inside the car with a flip of one arm or wrist. The Solstice/Sky required you to get out of the car and go through a five or six-step operation.

Every year, BTW, at the D.C. auto show, because the Mazda reps are often busy doing other things (or yakking with people), I myself sit in one of the floor-display Miatas and demonstrate the up/down manual top, with one hand, to people gathered around the car. They love its simple, no-nonsense, operation when they see it, and many can't wait to get in and try it themselves....I step out after a few minutes and give it to them. (I may have sold, indirectly, a number of Miatas, just from flipping the top up and down).

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-07-15 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-20-15, 01:38 PM
balMaster
Rookie

http://www.mazdausamedia.com/2015-04...icks-Off-Today
Old 05-28-15, 11:22 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Old 05-29-15, 12:29 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll admit that I didn't like the new Miata when I first saw the pictures. However, it's really growing onto me now. Although I'm sure I won't buy one, I believe they will sell very well. However, I'm curious if Mazda will make the Mazdaspeed version. If they do, I just might be interested in picking one up.
Old 05-29-15, 08:20 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by joshthorsc
I'll admit that I didn't like the new Miata when I first saw the pictures. However, it's really growing onto me now. Although I'm sure I won't buy one, I believe they will sell very well. However, I'm curious if Mazda will make the Mazdaspeed version. If they do, I just might be interested in picking one up.
Like I previously stated in the thread. Fiat version will be more powerful. The same engine already makes 180hp in Abarth 500 Com.
Old 05-29-15, 09:57 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

this new miata looks hot. looking forward to seeing them on the road!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 MX-5 Miata thread