Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 MX-5 Miata thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-15, 09:54 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata has been tested by Autobytel. See the 0-60 MPH times. This model was equipped with a 6-speed manual transmission. The engine is a 2.0 liter naturally aspirated Skyactiv 4-cylinder making 155 horsepower. With a curb weight of 2,332 lbs the Miata was not always knows as a dragster, but instead praised for its handling prowess. How does the fourth generation of the world's best-selling roadster stack up.

In order to verify our results, the ND Miata showed a repeatable 0-60 MPH run of 7.2 seconds was accomplished with the Traction Control set to "Off."
Old 07-29-15, 05:50 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The 2016 Mazda MX-5, the vehicle formerly known as Miata, does something that no “sports car” has done in recent history, launching with FEWER horsepower than the outgoing model. While still a fun car, the MX-5 became a bit bloated and round in its middle age as it leaned on offering luxury amenities and a comfortable driving environment. This new 4th generation, known as ND, brings the MX-5 back to its roots being smaller, lighter, safer, faster and more fuel efficient than the last car. Mazda has thoroughly reworked its brand icon into one of the purest and most organic vehicles on the road today to extend the reign of the best-selling roadster of all time.

Design: From the outside, the 2016 MX-5 casts the most visible difference from the 2015 car. Gone are the soft and bubbly surfaces, replaced with a lean and taut body accentuated with sharp, crisp lines. Trapezoidal shapes and proportions give the car a stable stance. On the inside, there are body-colored panels along the tops of the doors in the Club and Grand Touring models that visually feel like an extension of the front fenders through the cabin area, creating a cool optical illusion of sorts.

Engineering: The theme of Mazda’s engineering focus was “driver-centered everything.” Driving position was the #1 priority, and everything was developed around that focal point. They placed the driver lower and closer to the center of the vehicle, with the appropriate placement of the steering wheel and shifter. In order to do more with less the MX-5 went on a diet to lose 150 pounds and bring the weight of the 2016 car within one pound of the 1st generation car. This is quite a feat given the number of safety and technology enhancements that the new car has to carry around with it.

Touchpoints: Debuting in the MX-5 is an all-new seat architecture. Where most automotive seats use foam and wave springs, the MX-5 utilizes a high-tension cloth mesh that is suspended over the seat frame much like modern office chairs. This saves weight and also can improve comfort and support. The premium Bose sound system also offers in speaker headrests, a nod to the original MX-5, to help with sound delivery whether the top is up or down. The top itself is also remarkably easy to put down or put up. It is a manual operation, but enhances bring it within arm’s reach without having to contort your body while seated in the vehicle. It could easily be done at any stop light.

Driving Impressions: Out on the curvy canyons of the Angeles National Forest the MX-5 is in its natural environment. The driving position is indeed remarkable with the steering wheel and shifter falling immediately to hand. Predictable body roll and a communicative chassis work to build and maintain driver confidence. Steering is quick and direct, while the 2.0L SKYACTIV engine responds quickly to accelerator inputs. I sampled the Club trim with the Brembo/BBS Wheel package. The ride with the Bilstein shocks was firm, but not harsh, and never let the rear end feel choppy despite encountering some mid-corner bumps. In a world filled with “digital SLR” cars that utilize electronically customizable driving modes and ludicrous amounts of torque and horsepower, the MX-5 represents a refreshing “point and shoot” model that uses driver engagement and mechanical refinement to achieve driving nirvana.

Old 07-29-15, 11:02 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Looks like a perfect day to drive the MX-5

I believe overseas when equipped with the 1.5L it is lighter than the first generation.

The seating posting is unique. Sliding the seat forward elevates as it gets closer to the pedal and vice versa lowers it as it gets farther.
Old 07-31-15, 09:40 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Dave Coleman (formerly with Sport Compact Car Magazine, now with Mazda USA) explains why the team decided against a turbo in the new 2016 Mazda Miata.
Old 08-05-15, 04:10 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Old 08-05-15, 07:14 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

^
GREAT review by MT as usual - going to miss Carlos Lago, he preferred the BRZ.

The body roll on that Miata is nuts .

I'm a bit biased towards the BRZ as I have that exact same Series.Blue
Old 08-05-15, 07:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,361 Posts

^^ Really great comparison video.
Old 08-05-15, 07:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
^^ Really great comparison video.
Agreed. Looks like the new Miata is still the King of the affordable fun roadsters. Those guys were really pushing both of them in the corners with the drifting, though.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-05-15 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-05-15, 11:04 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
^
GREAT review by MT as usual - going to miss Carlos Lago, he preferred the BRZ.

The body roll on that Miata is nuts .

I'm a bit biased towards the BRZ as I have that exact same Series.Blue
I owned a BRZ with 6MT, and agree that the roll on the Miata can "look" nuts from the outside, but when driving it, you don't feel that it is at all tippy, and it in fact feels extremely natural. There's no loss of cornering grip/traction due to the body roll. I felt that the Miata did a much better job of taking mid corner bumps without upsetting the chassis, which I couldn't say for my BRZ. So while the Miata is a bit softly sprung, it doesn't negatively impact handling or dynamics in my opinion.

Both BRZ and Miata are great options to have a lightweight, rwd, manual transmission car!

Last edited by pbm317; 08-05-15 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-21-15, 09:03 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Is it time to sell your old Miata to buy the new one?
Old 08-21-15, 09:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

That is a good video.
Old 08-22-15, 07:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
. One of the purest and most "organic" driving experiences on the road today.
This is what I have been seeing in almost every review. It looks much more substantial than last models as well. They also removed 150 pounds from the gross weight.
Old 08-22-15, 07:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

One of the purest and most "organic" driving experiences on the road today.
Always was. That's one reason why it made Car and Driver's 10 Best List for a number of years.

From the outside, the 2016 MX-5 casts the most visible difference from the 2015 car.
Most of the difference, from what I saw in my static-review, seems to be around the headlights and taillights. The grille, size/dimensions, and general body shape remains pretty much the same.

I felt that the Miata did a much better job of taking mid corner bumps without upsetting the chassis, which I couldn't say for my BRZ
That's pretty remarkable, considering that the BR-Z, being a closed coupe, has a significant advantage in body/chassis stiffness that the Miata may lack, even with additional chassis-bracing.

Are you going to try out a Fiat version with the MultiAir engine if you get a chance? It, of course, has not been released yet.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-22-15 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-22-15, 07:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Always was. That's one reason why it made Car and Driver's 10 Best List for a number of years.

Most of the difference, from what I saw in my static-review, seems to be around the headlights and taillights. The grille, size/dimensions, and general body shape remains pretty much the same.
This edition C & D still loves. Best part of it all is that Mazda found a way to bring the weight down to 1989 levels while increasing equipment.
Old 08-22-15, 07:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This edition C & D still loves. Best part of it all is that Mazda found a way to bring the weight down to 1989 levels while increasing equipment.
Yes, Agreed, but part of that weight saving this year seems to be with quite thin sheet metal that may (?) be prone to dings and dents. I hope that actual owner-experience with this car (as with the new all-aluminum F-150) proves me wrong, but my initial impression is that this is not a car that you would want to park under trees that drop acorns or other nuts.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-22-15 at 07:41 AM.

Quick Reply: 2016 MX-5 Miata thread