Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 MX-5 Miata thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-16, 11:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by hknubsauce
Forget the retractable targa top...just give us a coupe
Most people who seriously look at the Miata, though, WANT an open-top roadster...or at least a retractable hardtop. Unless one has an issue in high-crime neighborhoods, though, or problems with their arms/shoulders, the ragtop is so ingeniously simple to use that it's really hard to pass it up.
Old 10-12-16, 02:22 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

When I had a convertible, I didn't leave valuables in it and left it unlocked. Figured they could try the door handle first before slashing my top and realizing there was nothing in there. I also disabled the trunk release, disconnected it so the only way you could get in the trunk was with the key. Put in a panel from a junkyard car that didn't have a trunk release button just to make it super stealth.

But yeah, if I lived in the hood, I wouldn't have bought that car. Somebody would've keyed it, stole it, stripped it, stole the wheels or something.
Old 10-18-16, 02:33 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This Is How Mazda MX-5 RF's Rectractable Top Works

If manually folding the MX-5’s cloth soft-top doesn't rock your boat, then Mazda has the perfect solution: another edition of their popular roadster, the RF.

It’s still the MX-5, but this one comes with a power-folding top that transforms it, at the push of a button, in either a fastback coupe or an open Targa convertible. We’re talking, of course, about the MX-5 Miata RF, which is Mazda answer to a posher, no-nonsense, driver-oriented two-seater.

It takes only 12 seconds to transform the Miata RF from an open-top car into a coupe, thanks to the intricate roof concept. Mazda recently showcased how the mechanism works in a video, and by the looks of it, the rig looks similar to Porsche’s solution (seen on the 991 Targa) – although more simplified.

The roof-opening sequence can be performed at speeds up to ~10 km/h (6.2 mph), and it fits in the same exact space that the regular soft-top does. Moreover, the mechanism doesn’t spoil the vehicle’s weight balance (since it’s based on the regular variant), nor the interior space.

Pretty cool, huh? If you want one, you’ll have to form an orderly queue, because the RF is selling like hotcakes right now. With the launch-edition already sold-out in the U.S., there are still plenty of Club and Grand Touring models left, starting from $31,555 for the manual version.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/10/thi...tractable.html
Old 10-18-16, 03:52 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

I still think the RF is a ridiculous gimmick, just like the Porsche 911 Targa. How much weight do all those motors/hinges add??? IMO the engineering philosophy on the Miata has always been about keep it simple stupid, which helps keep the weight in check, cost down, and makes for a more focused, pure driving experience. If they're going to go with a power type top, the folding metal one in the last gen NC I will admit was pretty trick, I don't see why they didn't do the same thing with the new car.

This new design, it doesn't give you the full convertible experience, its like a Miata Del Sol, just a coupe with a targa roof.

I really wouldn't be harping on this so much if they had just given you a conventional lift out targa roof panel that fit in the trunk. Less complexity, less crap to break out of warranty, and the main thing, less weight.
Old 10-18-16, 06:50 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I still think the RF is a ridiculous gimmick, just like the Porsche 911 Targa. How much weight do all those motors/hinges add??? IMO the engineering philosophy on the Miata has always been about keep it simple stupid, which helps keep the weight in check, cost down, and makes for a more focused, pure driving experience. If they're going to go with a power type top, the folding metal one in the last gen NC I will admit was pretty trick, I don't see why they didn't do the same thing with the new car.

This new design, it doesn't give you the full convertible experience, its like a Miata Del Sol, just a coupe with a targa roof.

I really wouldn't be harping on this so much if they had just given you a conventional lift out targa roof panel that fit in the trunk. Less complexity, less crap to break out of warranty, and the main thing, less weight.
I kind of agree with you, especially as a previous MX-5 owner, but a targa top would have to be stored somewhere. That could only be in diminutive trunk, which would take virtually all usability away. At least with this design (if one really needs a hard top) it appears that no trunk space is lost. Seems like the next best solution to a soft top.

Like you said, in any convertible a folding hard top with all the mechanicals that go with it are added weight, which is the enemy. It's one of the reasons I don't like to drive our G37 Convertible and one of the reasons I used to love our S5 Cabriolet with soft top.
Old 10-18-16, 07:52 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dseag2
I kind of agree with you, especially as a previous MX-5 owner, but a targa top would have to be stored somewhere. That could only be in diminutive trunk, which would take virtually all usability away. At least with this design (if one really needs a hard top) it appears that no trunk space is lost. Seems like the next best solution to a soft top.

Like you said, in any convertible a folding hard top with all the mechanicals that go with it are added weight, which is the enemy. It's one of the reasons I don't like to drive our G37 Convertible and one of the reasons I used to love our S5 Cabriolet with soft top.
^ I think Mazda could've figured out a way to stow a lift out targa roof panel behind the rear seat where the normal fabric top(or in this case the two piece metal roof panel) folds down into, without losing trunk space.