Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 MX-5 Miata thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-14, 06:11 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't wait for the new Miata. I'm going to get one no matter how "girly" people think it is.
Old 05-11-14, 06:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
I can't wait for the new Miata. I'm going to get one no matter how "girly" people think it is.
Agreed. If you want one, toss those stereotypes in the trash where they belong. And, don't kid yourself......plenty of males drive them.
Old 05-11-14, 07:15 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
truly hope it doesn't have the hideous angry 'face' in that guess.
meh...better than the smiley

Old 05-11-14, 08:42 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bagwell

I kinda like that.
Old 05-11-14, 09:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
... for most healthy adults (and even most teens) , the Miata's ingeniously simple, easy-to-use ragtop sets an industry standard. ...

Compare that, for example, with the former Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky, which required four or five different physical functions when raising/lowering the top and usually involved getting out of the car.
amen to that! GENIUS!

Originally Posted by cino
i might be right in line with ya.

Originally Posted by bagwell
i'd rather have cute and happy over mean and angry looking.
and the smiley looks worst in white of course.
Old 05-12-14, 01:25 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, OK.....Maybe for those who have arm or shoulder problems and can't work the top by hand. But, for most healthy adults (and even most teens) , the Miata's ingeniously simple, easy-to-use ragtop sets an industry standard. The former dual header-latches above the windshield are now down to one larger one in the middle, and the whole system folds right back into its well with a simple flick of the wrist and shoulder. At the D.C. Auto Show, sitting in the driver's seat, I used to unlatch and drop the top for spectators there in three seconds, start-to-finish (no, I wasn't working for Mazda). Then I'd bring it back up and secure/latch it in another three seconds. The last couple of years, I've been able to do two seconds dropping it, and three seconds back up....no, I am not kidding.

Compare that, for example, with the former Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky, which required four or five different physical functions when raising/lowering the top and usually involved getting out of the car.
Point noted.

But still, I believe that Retractable Hard Top beats Soft Top ANYTIME hehe

Old 05-12-14, 07:22 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Well, OK.....Maybe for those who have arm or shoulder problems and can't work the top by hand. But, for most healthy adults (and even most teens) , the Miata's ingeniously simple, easy-to-use ragtop sets an industry standard. The former dual header-latches above the windshield are now down to one larger one in the middle, and the whole system folds right back into its well with a simple flick of the wrist and shoulder. At the D.C. Auto Show, sitting in the driver's seat, I used to unlatch and drop the top for spectators there in three seconds, start-to-finish (no, I wasn't working for Mazda). Then I'd bring it back up and secure/latch it in another three seconds. The last couple of years, I've been able to do two seconds dropping it, and three seconds back up....no, I am not kidding.

Oh the Sky/Solstice top was a complete joke. But the 1st/2nd gen Miata top was IMO a cheap piece of crap compared to the standard insulated, multilayered, cloth powered top on my 1998 Z28 Camaro.

That top on the Camaro was perhaps the 2nd best bit of engineering on that car behind the LS1 V8. Even after 12 years and 100k miles, it still looked brand new, sealed like a new top, the motor worked perfect, it was just a really slick, well engineered piece of kit. Only problem was it was kind of ugly folded down, but they did have a hard cover that fit over the folded top. I just wish the quality control/engineering that went into that part of the car extended to the rest of the car.
Old 05-12-14, 10:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Oh the Sky/Solstice top was a complete joke.
I wouldn't necessarily say a joke. It just couldn't compare, in ease of operation, with the Miata's ingeniously simple design.

But the 1st/2nd gen Miata top was IMO a cheap piece of crap compared to the standard insulated, multilayered, cloth powered top on my 1998 Z28 Camaro.
True, other convertibles may have thicker, more heavily-insulated soft-tops. But the whole purpose of the Miata was simplicity, reliability, and a re-creation of the sports-car driving experience of the 50s/60s-vintage British/Italian roadsters. That would also include some noise, even through the roof.............though, of course, not the annoying water-leaks as well.
Old 05-12-14, 01:55 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

And the new one is to have refinement of the current model with weight similar to the first one, I don't mind the new one with current car HP, but a bit more power should make Toyota and Subaru go back to drawing board and make a better twin.
Old 07-04-14, 01:33 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mazda will officially introduce the next-generation of its popular MX-5 roadster on September 3rd at one of the world’s most famous racetracks: Laguna Seca.

Officially known as Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, the unveiling will come during an annual Miata enthusiast event known as Miatas at Mazda Raceway.

WHAT WE KNOW: 2016 Mazda MX-5

“We’re excited to make this official, to announce that the newest member of the MX-5 Miata family will be arriving soon,” said Jim O’Sullivan, president and CEO, Mazda North American Operations (MNAO). “Along with our colleagues around the world, we continue to celebrate the MX-5′s 25th anniversary and look forward to sharing even more news in the near future.”

Mazda will in fact host several simultaneous global reveals of the car, with debuts also occurring in Japan and Spain.

In March, Mazda revealed the car’s new Skyactiv chassis at the New York Auto Show, announcing that the 2016 MX-5 will be both smaller and lighter than the current model. The car will weigh at least 220 lbs less than the current car.

Link Here
Old 07-04-14, 09:11 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Point noted.

But still, I believe that Retractable Hard Top beats Soft Top ANYTIME hehe

amen. Had an S2000, and although I never had problems with the top, I will never buy a soft top vert again. Sliced tops and seat theft are very common with that car.
Old 07-04-14, 06:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

the 2016 MX-5 will be both smaller and lighter than the current model. The car will weigh at least 220 lbs less than the current car.
applaud the lightness, but hope the 'smaller' isn't on the 'inside' cuz i barely fit in the current one.
Old 07-04-14, 07:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Have been patiently waiting to see how this icon blazes trails for roadsters
Old 08-06-14, 11:18 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 Mazda MX-5 "will look nothing like" its predecessor - report

Will be introduced on September 4th

Mazda Australia Managing Director Martin Benders has revealed the 2015 MX-5 “will look nothing like" its predecessor.

An in interview with The Motor Report, Benders said the model would have a more "evolved version" of the Kodo design language that is used on everything from the Mazda2 to the CX-5.

Benders declined to go into specifics but the company has already announced the model will ride on a SKYACTIV-CHASSIS that will enable it to weigh 220+ lbs (100+ kg) less than its predecessor. The model will also have a lower center of gravity as well as a front mid mounted engine and rear-wheel drive.

The MX-5 will be unveiled on September 4th so we should expect to learn more in the coming weeks.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11408057...ts-predecessor
Old 08-06-14, 04:17 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Reports are making this 'Kodo' MX-5 sound like a real looker

Quick Reply: 2016 MX-5 Miata thread