Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Miami Toyota dealer tacks $7,000 onto price of Prius C

Old 03-21-12, 10:17 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Miami Toyota dealer tacks $7,000 onto price of Prius C

Originally Posted by Autoblog Green
By Sebastian Blanco
Posted Mar 20th 2012 6:04PM

A Twitter user called miami4me2c discovered something interesting at a Toyota dealer the other day and thankfully shared pictures of this unusual Prius C Two window sticker. Remember, the base Prius C starts at just $18,950, and the Two normally starts at $19,900. With the options that dealer Al Hendrickson has added to the car, it should cost $20,839, but then someone at the dealer added a "Market Value Adjustment," which comes in at an astonishing $6,995. Total cost for the "cheap" Prius at this particular dealer? $27,834. We agree with what you just thought: that's completely absurd.

Or is it? We called Al Hendrickson Toyota with some questions for the general manager – why so much? and are people still interested at this price? – but were asked to leave a message and have not yet heard back. But think about it. This is one of the most popular high-efficiency vehicles in the U.S. right now, selling 1,200 units in the first three days it was on sale, and Toyota is increasing production to meet demand (both here and in Japan). We admit that the market values this car, but does it do so enough to tack on an extra 33 percent? We doubt it – especially when you can get a regular Prius Liftback or Prius V for around that much – but maybe someone down in Florida thinks so. Either way, Toyota representatives wouldn't comment and we know that dealers are independent and don't have to follow the MSRP. Still, $7,000 extra? C'mon, man.
Source: Autoblog Green

Shame on this dealer and South East Toyota for allowing this. For that price, i'd rather get a Prius III or IV for the same price and more options.

Last edited by flipside909; 03-21-12 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-21-12, 10:22 AM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

That is absurd and pretty much an insult to costumers... really? $7000?!? screw them, I would walk out of that dealership in a sec.
Old 03-21-12, 10:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

wow, just wow. i suppose toyota corp knows about this already. so toyota doesn't have the same rule as lexus on no mark up?
Old 03-21-12, 10:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Shame on this dealer and South East Toyota for allowing this.
Did you see the Prius-c review I did last week, Ryan? One of the things I predicted in it was possible price-gouging. If dealers will simply resist the temptation to do that, they've got a product that could (?) compete in price and bury the Honda Insight once and for all.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...a-prius-c.html
Old 03-21-12, 10:30 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Although any business has the right to do it, it does not exemplify the standard and quality of cost-efficiency for Toyota as a brand.

Corporate HQ will most likely address this issue directly...
Old 03-21-12, 10:33 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope this won't be happening here in Montreal. I am thinking of switching the Veloster for this. True less power, but better fuel economy.
Old 03-21-12, 10:40 AM
GS3Tek

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Although any business has the right to do it, it does not exemplify the standard and quality of cost-efficiency for Toyota as a brand.

Corporate HQ will most likely address this issue directly...
Will HQ get involved (if the same no-no to markup that is applied to lexus) or they'll brush it off and say it's dealer independently owned?

You do have the right to walk out of that dealership so whoever wants it that badly is their problem

imagine $7000 worth of gas
Old 03-21-12, 10:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
I hope this won't be happening here in Montreal. I am thinking of switching the Veloster for this. True less power, but better fuel economy.
You probably won't see many bargain-discounts on the Veloster either, but it should not be marked up much, if any, over list. Demand for the Veloster is (probably) not going to be in the same league as for the Prius-c.
Old 03-21-12, 10:44 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by rominl
wow, just wow. i suppose toyota corp knows about this already. so toyota doesn't have the same rule as lexus on no mark up?
I think because this dealer falls under the distributorship of South East Toyota, they can do whatever they want with pricing, hence the reason why it costs more to buy a Toyota in these states serviced by Gulf States, South East and Servco. They tack on their ugly pin striping, fake OEM wheels and ugly accessories on top of MSRP.
Old 03-21-12, 10:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
I think because this dealer falls under the distributorship of South East Toyota, they can do whatever they want with pricing, hence the reason why it costs more to buy a Toyota in these states serviced by Gulf States, South East and Servco. They tack on their ugly pin striping, fake OEM wheels and ugly accessories on top of MSRP.
don't know what else to say except facepalm
Old 03-21-12, 10:49 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Yeah its sad.
Old 03-21-12, 10:59 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Ahh yes, the ever-popular "because we can" fee.
Old 03-21-12, 11:08 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Back in '86 I went into a dealer who had the new 2.0L fuel injected Accord EX and that dealer wanted $1200 over the $12K list.The Accord inventories were low or sold out at all Honda dealers.I walked out and bought a few Honda vehicles since but not at that dealer.
Old 03-21-12, 12:38 PM
LexFather

I would retort with the "1'm buying it from you, I'm a semi-celebrity $7,000 discount, now we are back to MSRP"

That is ridiculous, shame on them.

Old 03-21-12, 01:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Will HQ get involved (if the same no-no to markup that is applied to lexus) or they'll brush it off and say it's dealer independently owned?
manufacturer's (of any kind) can't actually tell retailers what price to charge for things - that's illegal (price fixing). they can obviously have incentives that 'strongly encourage' dealers not to do stupid things like this though.

dealer owner probably lost a bundle in miami's real estate disaster and is trying to make it back 'quick'

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Miami Toyota dealer tacks $7,000 onto price of Prius C