Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW forced to lower 2012 3 Series automatic fuel economy to 33 mpg

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-12, 05:55 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default BMW forced to lower 2012 3 Series automatic fuel economy to 33 mpg

BMW forced to lower 2012 3 Series automatic fuel economy to 33 mpg

Remember that new 36-mpg 2012 BMW 3 Series we were so excited about, the 328i that got better fuel economy in EPA testing than even the old 335d diesel model? Well, those early estimates haven't held up.

BMW has confirmed to Autoblog that the EPA has issued revised numbers for the eight-speed automatic-equipped F30 328i, with highway fuel economy taking a 3-mile-per-gallon hit to 33 mpg and the city number dropping by a single digit to 23 mpg. BMW is investigating the discrepancy but says the 2012 figure will stay at 33. Spokesman Tom Plucinsky: "Unfortunately, there is no provision in the EPA rules for a re-test this year. Therefore regardless of the results of our investigation, the new rating will stand for this model year."

Though BMW says its testing showed the car capable of 36 mpg on the highway, the EPA decided to validate BMW's numbers and came away with different results. As we type this, the government's fueleconomy.gov website has not yet been updated, though BMW's consumer website reflects the new numbers. According to Plucinsky, buyers of the six-speed manual 328i can expect to see a 34 mpg highway figure on their window sticker, which fueleconomy.gov corroborates at 23/34.

What's surprising about this situation is that when we test drove the new 3 Series last fall, BMW told our Matt Davis it was estimating only 32 mpg highway. Plucinsky suggests that perhaps the 32-mpg figure was an "early estimate was based on the previous version of the 328i."

While the efficiency hit is disappointing, even with the downgrade to 33-to-34 miles per gallon, the 3 Series' fuel economy figures are still class-leading, besting competitors including the Acura TL and TSX, Audi A4, Cadillac CTS, Infiniti G, Lexus IS and Mercedes-Benz C-Class.

With all of that said, we can't help but wonder if this development will add fuel to the fire of those who have been clamoring for the EPA to "retest" the fuel economy of vehicles in the wake of owner complaints?

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/20/b...omy-to-33-mpg/
Old 03-20-12, 06:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

yikes... really, really surprised that Europeans would do something like this.

lol.
Old 03-20-12, 07:56 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

so...the EPA doesnt test the numbers before allowing it to be posted?
Old 03-20-12, 08:04 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
so...the EPA doesnt test the numbers before allowing it to be posted?
that's what I was wondering....I thought the EPA tested and supplied the numbers on the window stickers....but its not so.....

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-mpg-estimates

While the public mistakenly presumes that this federal agency is hard at work conducting complicated tests on every new model of truck, van, car, and SUV, in reality, just 18 of the EPA’s 17,000 employees work in the automobile-testing department in Ann Arbor, Michigan, examining 200 to 250 vehicles a year, or roughly 15 percent of new models. As to that other 85 percent, the EPA takes automakers at their word—without any testing—accepting submitted results as accurate.
Old 03-20-12, 08:32 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The EPA only tests a handful of cars...that's why MPG numbers should not be taken too seriously
Old 03-20-12, 08:33 PM
LexFather

So they got to pull those ads from T.V? Still good MPG....

Originally Posted by edgeucated
The EPA only tests a handful of cars...that's why MPG numbers should not be taken too seriously
Don't worry...internet fanbois will have people believing they get 70 MPG from it and it does 0-60 in 3 seconds

Old 03-20-12, 10:18 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hehe

But hey, at least it has more power and better fuel economy than an Acura ILX with a weak**** K24 engine.
Old 03-21-12, 05:59 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I think before we get all "holier than thou" we should acknowledge that Toyota have built their billion dollar Prius brand (and their hybrids in general) on overstating and massaging fuel economy figures - particularly highway ones.
Old 03-21-12, 06:13 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my .02: Let's not forget that this is a four cylinder engine. Yes, it's exciting to see such MPG figures in the entry level lux segment, but this class is also dominated by V6s, most of which are quite long in the tooth now. I see people all over the internet praising BMW for such amazing MPG, and while those are solid numbers compared to say, an IS250, this is a four cylinder engine. Good power numbers and great engineering, but 4 cylinders are going to burn less fuel than 6...this is a no brainer.

Originally Posted by Big Andy
I think before we get all "holier than thou" we should acknowledge that Toyota have built their billion dollar Prius brand (and their hybrids in general) on overstating and massaging fuel economy figures - particularly highway ones.
Do you have some sort of data to back this up? Hybrids are a completely different animal. What about people who own CTs with a combined EPA rating of 42, and who are reporting 48-49mpg in real world use? Or Prius owners routinely getting 56-57mpg. Last time I drove an RX 450h on a road trip to Florida, I was getting 33mpg on the highway. When I drove an '08 GS 450h, I was averaging 26mpg and a good bit of that was highway driving. If anything, it seems that the EPA's most recent "revision" to their testing methods revised hybrids' MPG down below what real world owners are reporting. Of course, there will be variations based on driving style, topography, type of driving and even gas quality, but most everything I've seen from actual owners is solidly above EPA estimates.
Old 03-21-12, 07:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

why do you get so hurt when someone criticizes ANY european manufacturer?

Prius can get its 50mpg easily... you can check on Prius chat for average mpg's.
Old 03-21-12, 07:28 AM
RaceSC300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work at a Toyota dealership and out Prius customers routinely get more than the rated MPG on their Prii. We have Gen 3 Prius owners that get over 64mpg on their cars.

But then again, BMW never lies, so Toyota must be the evil one.
Old 03-21-12, 07:58 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I would not worry too much. In most of my cars I actually beat the stickered MPG ratings.

The EPA does their own tests on a chassis dyno with a dyno trace cycle that is called the ftp cycle blended in with a another more higher speed cycle. Humans drive these cycles so driver variation plays a BIG toll on this. Some manufacturers request certain drivers because of their driving style when the vehicle is tested..

Last edited by gsrthomas; 03-21-12 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-21-12, 09:59 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Just my .02: Let's not forget that this is a four cylinder engine. Yes, it's exciting to see such MPG figures in the entry level lux segment, but this class is also dominated by V6s, most of which are quite long in the tooth now. I see people all over the internet praising BMW for such amazing MPG, and while those are solid numbers compared to say, an IS250, this is a four cylinder engine. Good power numbers and great engineering, but 4 cylinders are going to burn less fuel than 6...this is a no brainer.
Cylinders generally don't mean much in the scheme of things, it's the engine size that generally matters, and yes it has a smaller displacement. And yes, it's a smaller 4cyl that makes a lot more power and gets better economy than the competition. I'd have expected the Japanese to already be at this point with the Germans just now catching up.
Old 03-21-12, 10:21 AM
08IS350
Driver

Now 328i and 335i has same highway MPG.
Old 03-21-12, 11:44 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've owned 2 2G Prius and a 3G and all of them AVERAGED 60+mpg.

Quick Reply: BMW forced to lower 2012 3 Series automatic fuel economy to 33 mpg