Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2012 Toyota Prius c

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-12, 10:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Thanks for the review. I enjoyed it. Usually I skip over certain parts of reviews but I read the entire thing, well done.
Thanks. glad you enjoyed it.

As for the Honda Insight, what killed the Insight is the Insight, it truly is a piece of crap. Did Honda really think they could get away with doing another half assed hybrid, slap the H logo on it and call it a day?
Actually, it's not quite that simple. The Insight, true, does have some shortcomings, such as a bumpy, less-refined, lower-MPG hybrid drivetrain than the Prius, and the rear seat is a joke. But it does have excellent build-quality and the usual Honda thoroughness in Swiss-Watch assembly-precision. It is also extremely reliable.
Old 03-17-12, 11:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joshthorsc
Great review!
Thanks.

Finally saw the prius c a few days ago and I really like it. Plenty of legroom for passengers but not a whole lot of trunk space.
Like I told pvmike1, the answer to the space-problem might be the Prius v wagon...but it costs more, and you give up some MPG and (IMO) some interior-ergonomics.
Old 03-17-12, 12:31 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,696 Likes on 2,282 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i just did the rough math - if i sold my 17mpg explorer and bought a mid-level prius c, it would not be until the 5th year that i'd have saved any money. in the mean time i'd be driving a tiny gutless compact vs. my explorer with v8 and tons of room.

i realize most are math challenged and thus see the appeal of this, but the left side of my brain can never make this work...
Your tailpipe emissions would be drastically reduced, if you care about that kind of thing.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
But it does have excellent build-quality and the usual Honda thoroughness in Swiss-Watch assembly-precision. It is also extremely reliable.
Which might work against it, the car lasts forever and you don't even want it. The bottom line is Honda has made a car people just don't feel like buying, even considering its low price for a hybrid.
Old 03-17-12, 12:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Your tailpipe emissions would be drastically reduced, if you care about that kind of thing.
no. no i don't.

wait, isn't your province prosperous because of shale oil production? one of the most polluting industries in the world? wait, i don't care about that either - it's awesome!
Old 03-17-12, 12:58 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fossil Fuels!

Old 03-17-12, 01:24 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,696 Likes on 2,282 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
wait, isn't your province prosperous because of shale oil production? one of the most polluting industries in the world? wait, i don't care about that either - it's awesome!
United States carbon emissions (2010) - 5,492,170
Canada carbon emissions (2010) - 518,475

Canada accounts for about 1% of global emissions. Canada is the #1 supplier of oil to the United States. Yes oil sands production is polluting but getting better every year, and you should care about pollution, nothing awesome about it.
Old 03-17-12, 07:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Which might work against it, the car lasts forever and you don't even want it. The bottom line is Honda has made a car people just don't feel like buying, even considering its low price for a hybrid.
Yes, for sure......I'm not trying to imply anything different. It's obvious that the Insight has not been a hit.....I made that clear in the review. And it's not very high on the list of cars I'd want as a daily-driver, either. But my point was that, nevertheless, it does have some good features,
Old 03-17-12, 07:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Polls and market-research has shown that, with small hybrids, low emissions is sometimes even more of a purchase-factor than high gas-mileage, even with expensive fuel. A lot of people buy small hybrids not only to save gas money but to make an environmental-statement as well. That explains the popularity of the Prius among environmentalists and those who don't care much for cars and driving, period.......when not in their Priuses, they spend a lot of their time on bicycles and low-powered motor-scooters..

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-17-12 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-17-12, 07:24 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Polls and market-research has shown that, with small hybrids, low emissions is sometimes even more of a purchase-factor that high gas-mileage, even with expensive fuel. A lot of people buy small hybrids not only to save gas money but to make an environmental-statement as well. That explains the popularity of the Prius among environmentalists and those who don't care much for cars and driving, period.......when not in their Priuses, they spend a lot of their time on bicycles and low-powered motor-scooters..
mmarshal, i think some people want that to be true, and it was true at the start at prius sales 10+ years ago, but i think vast majority of customers are motivated by $$$. This is why toyota will sell over 1,000,000 hybrids this year alone and why GM and Nissan will have tough luck selling their Volts/Leafs.
Old 03-17-12, 07:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
mmarshal, i think some people want that to be true, and it was true at the start at prius sales 10+ years ago, but i think vast majority of customers are motivated by $$$. This is why toyota will sell over 1,000,000 hybrids this year alone and why GM and Nissan will have tough luck selling their Volts/Leafs.
Emissions, though, even today, are a key reason why a lot of buyers choose hybrids over diesels. That may not be the case where you are in Europe (where dozens of small diesels are available), but it generally applies here in the U.S. Small diesels such as VW TDI (the only small diesel widely-offered here) can sometimes equal or exceed the same EPA Highway fuel-mileage as hybrids. But even with new advances in diesel-engine technology, low-sulfur fuels, and urea-solutions, diesels simply cannot equal hybrids in the emissions-department.

As far as the Volt goes, I agree that it is significantly overpriced for what you get...not to mention what, IMO, is its lousy ergonomics (I've made many comments in CAR CHAT about that). I haven't had a chance to drive a Leaf yet (though I've looked them over in car shows), so I can't say whether I think it is overpriced or not. It does, of course, run several thousand dollars less than the Volt....but also has less-complexity in its production, without a gas engine.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-17-12 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-17-12, 08:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

these new versions are going to be flying off dealer lots
Old 03-17-12, 08:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
these new versions are going to be flying off dealer lots
That's one of the things I'm concerned about with this car......supply-and-demand. That often means price-gouging.
Old 03-17-12, 08:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Emissions, though, even today, are a key reason why a lot of buyers choose hybrids over diesels. That may not be the case where you are in Europe (where dozens of small diesels are available), but it generally applies here in the U.S. Small diesels such as VW TDI (the only small diesel widely-offered here) can sometimes equal or exceed the same EPA Highway fuel-mileage as hybrids. But even with new advances in diesel-engine technology, low-sulfur fuels, and urea-solutions, diesels simply cannot equal hybrids in the emissions-department.

As far as the Volt goes, I agree that it is significantly overpriced for what you get...not to mention what, IMO, is its lousy ergonomics (I've made many comments in CAR CHAT about that). I haven't had a chance to drive a Leaf yet (though I've looked them over in car shows), so I can't say whether I think it is overpriced or not. It does, of course, run several thousand dollars less than the Volt....but also has less-complexity in its production, without a gas engine.
i understand what you are saying, but if the price of diesel at station was equal or lesser than petrol and if cost of diesel engines was a bit lower in US, and more available in various different cars, you would see same penetration of diesels as in Europe.

Europeans think BMW is 2nd biggest ECO brand in Europe (#1 is Toyota) as by recent survey but reality is that BMW still has no NOx cat in any of their cars... what people see is low fuel consumption.

and i would say when it comes to emissions, most of the europe is more like San Fran than Austin. And yet, Hybrids sell in large numbers only when incentivized with tax cuts, for instance in small Netherland, CT200h is one of the best selling cars due to tax cuts, and that country alone will be likely 15-20% of all Lexus sales in EU, if they can produce enough CT200h's... and it is small country with generally small car sales.
Old 03-18-12, 08:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

i understand what you are saying, but if the price of diesel at station was equal or lesser than petrol and if cost of diesel engines was a bit lower in US, and more available in various different cars, you would see same penetration of diesels as in Europe.
The availability of not only diesel engines in America, but of diesel-fuel itself, is sometimes an issue. Apart from truck-stops, It is only sold at certain gas-stations, and is generally not as widely available as gasoline....and when it is, as you note, price can be a problem.
Old 03-18-12, 09:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

United States carbon emissions (2010) - 5,492,170
Canada carbon emissions (2010) - 518,475

Canada accounts for about 1% of global emissions. Canada is the #1 supplier of oil to the United States. Yes oil sands production is polluting but getting better every year, and you should care about pollution, nothing awesome about it.
global human emissions are trivial. and vast %age is industrial / power so my explorer vs. prius is irrelevant.

... i think vast majority of customers are motivated by $$$.
problem is, their math is faulty, and typically a hybrid will cost a person money except under specific circumstances (like heavy city use). not to mention the trade-off of loss of cargo room, gutless power trains. the rx450h is probably the best 'execution' of this though, although the cost premium is still high.

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2012 Toyota Prius c