Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Had the worst customer service experience in my life at Bell Lexus in Phoenix AZ

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-12, 05:12 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
update: Lexus called me today and said that they have no control over the dealership and that since the manager already offered me half of my deductible that was enough to make them happy. Lexus corporate was completely worthless in this situation.

My only issue is GEICO doesnt replace pitted glass. They only replace the glass if there is a crack and if its larger than a dollar.

I know I am SOL and cant return the dealership but I am going to file a complaint with the BBB and hit every review site humanly possible. They are not going to screw me and think I am going to just go away They have their right to deny me, and I have my right to get very vocal
I'm reading things like that a big too much here.It's surprising and disappointing for a company that has a pursuit of happiness saying..
Old 03-14-12, 09:04 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't know but I always had great service from Lexus. Took the RX330 in for a warped rotor, telling the SA that "the steering wheel wobbles when I brake hard from about 50mph or more" (Trust me, I'm not an idiot, but it sure helps to play a little dumb when bringing your car in.) I got a new set of rotors and a thorough brake check - all on warranty.

Later after noting that several CL members were having trouble with moisture in the headlights on the RX and SC models, I noticed condensation on the inside of the left-side housing. Took it in for regular service, pointed out the moisture and BOTH headlights were replace without any question whatsoever. Brake job was $700, headlights $1,800, and both were handled at no cost to me by the dealership.

Now not all was so cheap. Yes, I had plenty of those $170 wash jobs - an oil and filter change with a "free" wash would routinely set me back $200.
Old 03-14-12, 09:27 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

update: Lexus called me today and said that they have no control over the dealership and that since the manager already offered me half of my deductible that was enough to make them happy. Lexus corporate was completely worthless in this situation.

I never understood what's the point of Corporate when they keep saying they have no ties with dealerships?

Don't they (dealers) get reprimanded if enough complaints are filed against them?

Don't they know that a bad dealership like this make "Lexus" in general look bad?

I know it's a lot of questions and I haven't had a bad exp. with the dealerships here, but just wondering why even bother giving out the phone #

They have their right to deny me, and I have my right to get very vocal
A sidewalk/street parking is PUBLIC property, so the dealership have no right to kick you out

Last edited by GS3Tek; 03-14-12 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-14-12, 10:48 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

This may be a good argument for manufacturers owning at least the controlling interest in a dealership. In recent years we've seen an alarming number of stories about large auto groups becoming the tail that wags the dog, seriously polluting the brand image that the manufacturer spends a LOT of money to create. At one time, at least, Lexus took a lot of pride in protecting and extending their brand, disciplining those franchisees who through stupidity, dishonesty, or greed, created situations like this with the buying public.

Originally, Lexus' competitive advantage was not so much in their outstanding products, but in that "Lexus experience" that brought customers back to the brand year after year. They knew they would be treated fairly and with respect. Dealerships would move heaven and earth to make things right for their owners, whatever the cost. That bumper-to-bumper warranty meant something, their service people from the driveway to the shop understood quality and supported the brand with the expertise and workmanship a Lexus deserved.

I'm afraid a lot of that is disappearing with the loss of franchise control. If corporate can't or won't control their dealer network, it's a cinch that the dealers won't police themselves. With that policy in place, Lexus will soon become just another brand, that like Chevrolet, Ford, or Chrysler that is organized around making the sale, and not the ownership experience . . . . stackin' 'em deep and sellin' 'em cheap!
Old 03-14-12, 06:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I'm reading things like that a big too much here.It's surprising and disappointing for a company that has a pursuit of happiness saying..
Originally Posted by Lil4X
I don't know but I always had great service from Lexus. Took the RX330 in for a warped rotor, telling the SA that "the steering wheel wobbles when I brake hard from about 50mph or more" (Trust me, I'm not an idiot, but it sure helps to play a little dumb when bringing your car in.) I got a new set of rotors and a thorough brake check - all on warranty.

Later after noting that several CL members were having trouble with moisture in the headlights on the RX and SC models, I noticed condensation on the inside of the left-side housing. Took it in for regular service, pointed out the moisture and BOTH headlights were replace without any question whatsoever. Brake job was $700, headlights $1,800, and both were handled at no cost to me by the dealership.

Now not all was so cheap. Yes, I had plenty of those $170 wash jobs - an oil and filter change with a "free" wash would routinely set me back $200.

They have been cool with me in the past, but now we are at this point. Bell Lexus is the worst service department ever. I feel like I have been making excuses for them for years because I liked the SA and they usually were apologetic when they screw something up

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I never understood what's the point of Corporate when they keep saying they have no ties with dealerships?

Don't they (dealers) get reprimanded if enough complaints are filed against them?

Don't they know that a bad dealership like this make "Lexus" in general look bad?

I know it's a lot of questions and I haven't had a bad exp. with the dealerships here, but just wondering why even bother giving out the phone #

A sidewalk/street parking is PUBLIC property, so the dealership have no right to kick you out
I honstly do not see the point of corporate trying to pretend that they are helping customers if they have no power or authority over the dealership. So why even bother calling them. They like to make it seem like they are so concerned but then they give you a call 4 days later telling you you are SOL. I hate Bell Lexus and I have to say Lexus has left a bad taste in my mouth

This may be a good argument for manufacturers owning at least the controlling interest in a dealership. In recent years we've seen an alarming number of stories about large auto groups becoming the tail that wags the dog, seriously polluting the brand image that the manufacturer spends a LOT of money to create. At one time, at least, Lexus took a lot of pride in protecting and extending their brand, disciplining those franchisees who through stupidity, dishonesty, or greed, created situations like this with the buying public.

Originally, Lexus' competitive advantage was not so much in their outstanding products, but in that "Lexus experience" that brought customers back to the brand year after year. They knew they would be treated fairly and with respect. Dealerships would move heaven and earth to make things right for their owners, whatever the cost. That bumper-to-bumper warranty meant something, their service people from the driveway to the shop understood quality and supported the brand with the expertise and workmanship a Lexus deserved.

I'm afraid a lot of that is disappearing with the loss of franchise control. If corporate can't or won't control their dealer network, it's a cinch that the dealers won't police themselves. With that policy in place, Lexus will soon become just another brand, that like Chevrolet, Ford, or Chrysler that is organized around making the sale, and not the ownership experience . . . . stackin' 'em deep and sellin' 'em cheap!

in my 6 years with Lexus I have to say I have seen a noticeable drop in build quality, customer care, and service experience. They need to go back to basics . They need to go back to what made them great
Old 03-14-12, 07:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

By the way my old service advisor of 5 years at Bell Lexus had the ***** to tell me :

" Sometimes I wished you had a BMW ". Can you imagine a Lexus service advisor saying this to a customer??

When they did the wind noise fix the foreman put both door panels on incorrectly ( I had pics on my iPhone but I erased them to make room a while back) On the passenger and drivers side there were gaps in the door panel so wide that I could stick my finger into the door and clearly see the black foam insulation. When I had my GS350 and had the dreaded dash rattle they removed my dash and it still rattled. They then removed it and added more insulation but then installed the dash without the AC vent on the top of the dash. The third visit I had to return just to have them pull it all apart so they could put that very obvious piece back in the dash board. All this and I am the picky one in their eyes. They damaged my glass and ask to have it fixed or at least addressed and they tell me to take a hike with $250 that they would give me towards the deductible . To bad GEICO doesn't replace pitted glass ,so the money he was thinking to give me isn't even going to do a thing. In the end they do poor quality work and when I complain I am picky. It blows my mind that is even happening. Its like Im in the twilight zone

Stay away from Bell Lexus .

Last edited by I8ABMR; 03-14-12 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-14-12, 07:47 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

It's probably time for you to lawyer up if you haven't already.
Old 03-14-12, 08:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Welcome to Toyota. I just went through a potential buying experience with another CL member here in Atlanta, and all I can say is unbelievable. The treatment we received was probably the worst I've ever had at any dealership anywhere. I'd say more, but he's still working through the issues and I'll give them a chance to do right first. It's not looking good at this point.

It used to be an honor to be a Lexus dealership. Owners had to really jump through hoops to get a dealership and very jealously guarded their customer satisfaction. Apparently the quest for #1 in sales has changed all that.
Old 03-14-12, 08:38 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I think it's time to engage the big guns, Tammer.

Put letters together and send them not only to Brent Berge, but to every single executive at Toyota. You rattle that cage, and you will see results. Let them know that this is the first salvo (AKA warning shot) across the bow, and that you will not rest until this is resolved and they make positive changes. You spent money on their product, it's their job to make sure the product is right. Them telling you you're too picky is unacceptable, especially with all the added information of time and miles.

I had to do this once, and I got a call from the president of the company (not Toyota). Had his personal assistant's direct line, and she called me twice a day until resolution. It's amazing what writing a letter can do - people simply don't do it anymore, so they take it seriously when you do.

I wrote about 12 of them, all with the same info, but put them in separate envelopes addressed to the executives and sent them as a bulk pack to the company. Three days in transit, and on day 4, I started getting calls.

Can't hurt to try it. Start with Yoshimi Inaba, Shigeki Terashi, Robert Daly, and Jim Lentz, then be sure to include Mark Templin and Andrew Coetzee. You put it in front of all those noses, and I'd be surprised if they keep their jobs for a week.

19001 South Western Avenue
Torrance, CA 90501

Big Mack
Old 03-14-12, 08:55 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Big Mack I think you are right. I am going to try to write a letter to Brent Berge. I have to find that address you gave at that Ford dealership. I was thinking of filing a complaint with the AZ BBB. What do you think? I am going to keep trying .

Bell Lexus is trash !!
Old 03-14-12, 09:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

definetly make BBB complaint as well
Old 03-14-12, 09:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Welcome to Toyota. I just went through a potential buying experience with another CL member here in Atlanta, and all I can say is unbelievable. The treatment we received was probably the worst I've ever had at any dealership anywhere. I'd say more, but he's still working through the issues and I'll give them a chance to do right first. It's not looking good at this point.

It used to be an honor to be a Lexus dealership. Owners had to really jump through hoops to get a dealership and very jealously guarded their customer satisfaction. Apparently the quest for #1 in sales has changed all that.
What still blows my mind is the fact that they are Lexus dealerships that Lexus has absolutely no control over. When I told them that they didn't want me back because they thought I was to picky they apologized and said they have no control. When I told them about the 600+ miles they put on my car and diagnosed no issue they simply apologized and said they have no control . I kept thinking I am totally wasting my time even calling Lexus. If there is an issue with the dealership they cant do anything. If there is an issue with a part or problem with the car itself then they may be able to help.

These stories of dealership issues with Lexus seem more common than they were 5 years ago
Old 03-15-12, 03:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

problem is the dealership employees - they screwed up and if they admit it, they would have to pay out of their pockets, and they dont want to... now did you try to talk to GM or Owner of the dealership?

on the other hand, if they could have billed it to lexus, i bet they would and everyone would be happy :-)
Old 03-15-12, 07:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

This may be a good argument for manufacturers owning at least the controlling interest in a dealership.
i believe there are laws in most if not all states preventing that. i think they're ridiculous, but it is what it is. i'd like to see 'apple store' type dealers instead of sleaze ball salespeople.
Old 03-15-12, 09:23 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

^^ There are, but you would think we might be able to change that. Failing that, we need to look into McDonald's franchise agreements. You step one inch out of line with their corporate policy and the McDelivery truck doesn't stop at your door. Control the franchisee by controlling his access to your product . . . you can't sell out of an empty wagon.

Quick Reply: Had the worst customer service experience in my life at Bell Lexus in Phoenix AZ