Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Comparable to an 04-06 Acura TSX

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-12, 07:04 AM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comparable to an 04-06 Acura TSX

I went to look at a 2004 Milano Red Acura TSX

Not actual car

The car was perfec on the inside and the engine/maintenance was top notch. The only glaring issue was the dreaded Milano red turning to Milano Pink. Pretty heartbreaking. I was originally going to pay asking price but with the paint issue, we would have settled much lower. However, once the fade starts, you can't stop it.

The problem has existed since the Integra days...

The only onther car I like is a Mazda3 but I like the TSX more. Only problem is the Acura's seem to run 2-3k higher than the Mazda's. Beyond that, I guess there is the Scion tC and Civic but I'm not sold on the looks on either. With a budget of 10k, looks like I don't have many options for a fun, economical, practical car.
Old 03-10-12, 07:24 AM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tsx, is300, mazda 3, I'd consider those under 10k
Old 03-10-12, 07:32 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

The TSX's are a car i do like and am considering, but i feel like it's to small, and i am not sold on 4 cylinders. I know it sounds dumb with gas at over 4 bucks a gallon, but i feel like they just aren't as smooth as v6, v8's ect. Great driving cars though and look good to
Old 03-10-12, 07:40 AM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

I forgot about the IS300. Only thing about those is the ridiculous gas mileage. My SC400 got better gas mileage.

As far as the 4 cylinder smoothness, the one I drove yesterday seemed really smooth and not buzzy like I was anticipating. Now I only got up to 45mph because of it raining so hard I couldn't see, but it felt rather smooth.
Old 03-10-12, 07:42 AM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Wanted a tsx but is300 was cheaper haha
Old 03-10-12, 07:44 AM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cartune
Wanted a tsx but is300 was cheaper haha
Oh you have an IS300? Did you drive the TSX and IS back to back? How did they compare?
Old 03-10-12, 07:54 AM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

yup. frn had tsx, great car. 4cyl was smooth. a lil stiffer ride, which i like, compare to is300. tsx gets better mpg. tsx have a lil bigger interior space. personally, cant go wrong with tsx or is300, as long both properly maintain. my is300 is great, no issue, fun to drive, 15 gallon fill up, i get 300 miles city driving. now going with gs400, what's wrong with me....gas $4/gallon
Old 03-10-12, 08:24 AM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Me personally, I do not like Acura products, I just feel that they scream Honda, moreso in the older models. Its a nice car and out of all the cars you meationed, including the IS300, i would probably pick the TSX over them all, but something about Acura interiors moreso in the older models just doesnt rub me the right way. Good Luck with your decision!
Old 03-10-12, 03:09 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

The actual car in question....
Old 03-10-12, 03:59 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Is it a manual? The manual in the TSX seemed so awesome compared to alot of others i test drove.
Old 03-10-12, 05:00 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Wow look at that paint, doesn't help that you are in texas though. These are good cars from what i've seen and if they are smooth and refined, i don't see what the problem is. I can only assume they are reliable to. Thing i've noticed about Acuras and honads though, they tend to have loud interiors, or maybe just louded then toyota's and lexus
Old 03-12-12, 07:40 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FireCode
I went to look at a 2004 Milano Red Acura TSX

Not actual car

The car was perfec on the inside and the engine/maintenance was top notch. The only glaring issue was the dreaded Milano red turning to Milano Pink. Pretty heartbreaking. I was originally going to pay asking price but with the paint issue, we would have settled much lower. However, once the fade starts, you can't stop it.

The problem has existed since the Integra days...

The only onther car I like is a Mazda3 but I like the TSX more. Only problem is the Acura's seem to run 2-3k higher than the Mazda's. Beyond that, I guess there is the Scion tC and Civic but I'm not sold on the looks on either. With a budget of 10k, looks like I don't have many options for a fun, economical, practical car.
I have experience with the TSX and Mazda 3. The TSX is nice and if your going to get one get a 2006 six speed. They now have flash pro available for the TSX so owners can now get more out of the car. Let me tell you this. The TSX is boring. Yes the engine is smooth, six speed feels great and the interior is VERY nice but the car in my opinion is boring. I sold my 05 TSX and purchased a 2004 Mazda 3 hatch. I HAVE NO REGRETS. The 3 is a reliable car and I have had no problems with my 5 speed 3 with now 166k miles. Yes the 3 is slow, but its fun. I never get tired of diving it. I love it so much I'm passing up getting a IS350 for a 2011 Speed 3. Get you a used Mazda 3 hatch and call it a day. It is hands down the best DD you can buy and it takes 87.
Old 03-12-12, 07:50 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FireCode
The actual car in question....
Hell no. Run from that crap. If your going to get a TSX it has got to be a 2006 and up. The 04 TSX don't touch them as they had BAD AC problems. The 2005 I had was OK. It was pearl white but not really pearl. If your going to get a TSX get a 2006. The community feels it is the best in looks and great for modification. There are not many 6 speed TSX vehicles and I am seeing them got for around 16k with high miles. That's Speed3 territory.
Old 03-12-12, 07:52 AM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexmenow
I have experience with the TSX and Mazda 3. The TSX is nice and if your going to get one get a 2006 six speed. They now have flash pro available for the TSX so owners can now get more out of the car. Let me tell you this. The TSX is boring. Yes the engine is smooth, six speed feels great and the interior is VERY nice but the car in my opinion is boring. I sold my 05 TSX and purchased a 2004 Mazda 3 hatch. I HAVE NO REGRETS. The 3 is a reliable car and I have had no problems with my 5 speed 3 with now 166k miles. Yes the 3 is slow, but its fun. I never get tired of diving it. I love it so much I'm passing up getting a IS350 for a 2011 Speed 3. Get you a used Mazda 3 hatch and call it a day. It is hands down the best DD you can buy and it takes 87.
How would you compare the Mazda3 to the IS300?
Old 03-12-12, 07:54 AM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexmenow
Hell no. Run from that crap. If your going to get a TSX it has got to be a 2006 and up. The 04 TSX don't touch them as they had BAD AC problems. The 2005 I had was OK. It was pearl white but not really pearl. If your going to get a TSX get a 2006. The community feels it is the best in looks and great for modification. There are not many 6 speed TSX vehicles and I am seeing them got for around 16k with high miles. That's Speed3 territory.
You know what's funny about the AC thing? Of the many 04 TSX's I have looked at, when I scrolled through their carfax report, almost all of them starting at 30k miles had a service listed for AC recharge. Many of them had 2 services for the AC. All under 80k miles.

Quick Reply: Comparable to an 04-06 Acura TSX