Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes-Benz A-Class hatches new level of refinement for its class

Old 03-05-12, 07:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Mercedes-Benz A-Class hatches new level of refinement for its class

Mercedes-Benz A-Class hatches new level of refinement for its class

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-...photo-4868790/

Though the Geneva Motor Show doesn't open until tomorrow morning, automakers have thrown the doors open on their own evening events in order to get a captive audience away from the show. We've just returned from the bright lights of Mercedes-Benz and its new A-Class reveal, and we have to say, it looks far more enticing than spy shots had led to us to believe.

Displayed in a trio of uplevel trims, we were particularly taken with the bold surfacing on the car's two-box profile, as well as the unique and premium-looking "diamond" grille treatments derived from last year's more radical New York Auto Show concept car. Even the interiors come off as upscale, with convincing carbon fiber-look dashboard treatments and round HVAC vents that riff on those of the SLS AMG gullwing.

Simply put, the loaded interiors we saw put even the updated C-Class cabins to utter shame, and they shade those of the current Audi A3 (a new one is being introduced here in Geneva), Volvo C30 and anything in the Mini portfolio. They even seem to be surprisingly roomy – we observed a journalist who had to be six-foot, six-inches find a comfortable seating position without issue. Said scribe had also driven to the show in a new M-Class and proclaimed the materials in the new A-Class to be "not that far off."
Of course, the three models on the stage were all highly optioned examples (we were particularly taken with the red-lipped Sport model seen here), and we can't help but wonder how the design will acquit itself in more modest trims with downsized wheels, no body kit and a lower-brow interior. As it stands, the Sport model we saw looked every-inch a $40,000 car, which has us concerned for the model's pricing. Daimler officials indicated that the A-Class will command similar pricing in Europe to outgoing models, but it would appear that there are many new features and options on the car that will make straight price comparisons troublesome.

Powered by a brace of four-cylinder gas and diesel engines ranging between 1.6- and 2.0-liters, all A-Class powertrains feature direct injection and turbocharging, as well as standard start/stop functionality. Transmission choice is limited to a new six-speed manual unit or a seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox.

So... what of the A-Class' fortunes for North America? Daimler has confirmed that a new family of small cars is headed our way in 2013, though it has yet to officially name the car and bodystyles. We strongly suspect this will be one of them (along with the rumored baby CLS and a convertible, perhaps), and we can see this having a far better chance at success in our market than previous half-hearted C-Class hatchback attempts, but pricing will be key. Either way, Mercedes is charting ambitious growth in the premium compact segment globally, forecasting more than four million units within the next decade.

Source and Trailer:
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/05/m...va-2012-video/
Old 03-05-12, 08:37 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

side profile and front are beautiful. the rear is kind of bulbous but its not ugly. Interior is quite nice as well. I probably wont see one ever though let alone drive one
Old 03-05-12, 08:41 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks good!
Old 03-05-12, 08:42 PM
Hoovey689

The new A and B are hawt IMO!!
Old 03-05-12, 10:16 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

VERY NICE. Finally someone does an A segment car without making it look downmarket or like a Disney car. Competition should study this and learn. There's no reason to make a tiny car look like a joke and this is proof. Good for Mercedes.
Old 03-05-12, 11:47 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice looking car, but it looks very similar to a lexus CT IMO. I see more CT in it than mercedes cues
Old 03-06-12, 02:53 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeucated
Nice looking car, but it looks very similar to a lexus CT IMO. I see more CT in it than mercedes cues
Actually I was wondering where I've seen this car before and here's the answer.

The Mercedes Blue Zero concept from a few years back has a few styling cues that went into the new A class.

Surprisingly I've not seen any of these on the streets yet and I live in Mercedes-town!
Old 03-06-12, 03:08 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hot damn, simply stunning.

Who dare says that the A-class cheapens the Mercedes Benz brand?

Anyways, this will be a winner for MB
Old 03-06-12, 05:00 AM
js619858
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's okay. Don't like the inside and rear. Nice looking car but with the amount they are going to charge I would never buy one.
Old 03-06-12, 05:15 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I just don't get these small luxury badge vehicles.Why bother?
Are these mini luxury badge vehicles here in the US and Canada for people who want the badge but can't afford the bigger and better luxury line vehicles?There's leasing for that reason.
At least the CT makes more sense to me being a hybrid that's somewhat sporty with some luxury.

Last edited by Joeb427; 03-06-12 at 06:04 AM.
Old 03-06-12, 05:19 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

I remember the A Class in Mexico although I liked seeing something different, it kind of pulled down the rest of MB. Glad to see this refinement has a spark to it.
Old 03-06-12, 05:50 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I like it..!
Old 03-06-12, 11:41 AM
Hoovey689

Gimme an AMG version!!
Old 03-06-12, 12:51 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The body of this car is attractive but I'd like to see a version without huge wheels, tint, painted calipers, etc. Interior looks so/so IMO.
Old 03-06-12, 01:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

DustinV what do you think? I think this looks reasonably good, but this is hot version. Normal ones might end up looking like blandomobiles.. this is A1 or A3 competitor?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz A-Class hatches new level of refinement for its class