Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes-Benz A-Class hatches new level of refinement for its class

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-12, 01:25 PM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

beautiful.
Old 03-06-12, 02:00 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks-wise, it looks amazing for such a "small" car. But the price will be the determining factor...
Old 03-07-12, 10:48 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I just don't get these small luxury badge vehicles.Why bother?
Are these mini luxury badge vehicles here in the US and Canada for people who want the badge but can't afford the bigger and better luxury line vehicles?There's leasing for that reason.
They exist because outside of North America space is limited. Cities are overcrowded, parking spaces and garages are small and that creates a market for small cars. They're not as small as you'd think, and they're certainly spacious inside due to intelligent design/packaging.

Besides, most owners of these smaller premium cars will most likely have a larger premium car next to it in their garage. The typical scenario would be that someone who lives, say outside of Paris, has two cars, say an E class and an A class. They'll use the A class to head into town because it'll be easier to manage in the crowded city environment.

Originally Posted by Joeb427
At least the CT makes more sense to me being a hybrid that's somewhat sporty with some luxury.
I don't think I've ever read a review where the CT200h has been described as "sporty". I seem to recall that most testers were actually disappointed by its lack of sport. It's compliant and handles well, but it isn't sporty in the sense of a 1 series or an A3. That seems to be the impression I have from reviews.

Originally Posted by spwolf
DustinV what do you think? I think this looks reasonably good, but this is hot version. Normal ones might end up looking like blandomobiles.. this is A1 or A3 competitor?
I like it - so far. I also like the new Audi A3. The new Mercedes A class is stylish and unique, the new Audi A3 is handsome and elegant. But I think the B class is better suited to the needs me and my wife. Roomier, more spacious and overall a bit more practical.

Not a fan at all of the new BMW 1 series with its ugly snout and headlights.
Old 03-07-12, 11:32 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
They exist because outside of North America space is limited. Cities are overcrowded, parking spaces and garages are small and that creates a market for small cars. They're not as small as you'd think, and they're certainly spacious inside due to intelligent design/packaging.

Besides, most owners of these smaller premium cars will most likely have a larger premium car next to it in their garage. The typical scenario would be that someone who lives, say outside of Paris, has two cars, say an E class and an A class. They'll use the A class to head into town because it'll be easier to manage in the crowded city environment.

I don't think I've ever read a review where the CT200h has been described as "sporty". I seem to recall that most testers were actually disappointed by its lack of sport. It's compliant and handles well, but it isn't sporty in the sense of a 1 series or an A3. That seems to be the impression I have from reviews.

I posted those reasons why the A would work out of the USA and Canada.Can't see it being a big seller here.
The A Class is a nice car for Benz owners to buy for their teen who is getting their license..

Yes,the CT200 isn't a 1 Series or A3 'sport' car but it is a hybrid and has a much more 'sporty' look and handles better than a Prius.Some say it even feels faster because of the handling.Of course that's said by people here..Also has that electronic dash change when in sport mode.
Old 03-07-12, 12:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV

I like it - so far. I also like the new Audi A3. The new Mercedes A class is stylish and unique, the new Audi A3 is handsome and elegant. But I think the B class is better suited to the needs me and my wife. Roomier, more spacious and overall a bit more practical.

Not a fan at all of the new BMW 1 series with its ugly snout and headlights.
I am kind of dissapointed in simplistic interior... CT200h does have a lot more luxurious interior. CT200h also handles quite well, it is not really sporty because of the powertrain but really who cares, europeans dont. I see so many 1.6 A3's around here.

I think MB did a good job with A/B this time around but I dont think A will feel special enough in the normal versions, but in reality, they never did and this is quite an improvement compared to before.
Old 03-07-12, 11:45 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Joeb427
They sell the B class up there in Canada. I heard it's doing quite well.

There seem to be a higher appreciation for subcompacts in Canada (compared to say USA though it's increasing). Nissan sells a Micra there for instance

@spwolf and DustinV
The dimensions of this new A-class is interesting. Could MB be going against the Citroen DS5???
Old 03-08-12, 05:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blackraven
@Joeb427

There seem to be a higher appreciation for subcompacts in Canada (compared to say USA though it's increasing). Nissan sells a Micra there for instance

@spwolf and DustinV
The dimensions of this new A-class is interesting. Could MB be going against the Citroen DS5???
i would think DS4 and DS5 are going against already established competition :-)
Old 03-09-12, 09:11 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
i would think DS4 and DS5 are going against already established competition :-)
It would be definitely interesting.

Anyways, I've always been a fan of the MB A-class and this is no exception. I'm definitely looking forward to the AMG version
Old 03-09-12, 06:50 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice! Much better than the 1st two generations of the A-Class.

That being said, I'd still take the new B-Class . The practical side of me wants that bigger hatch space and (possibly) the higher tech content (standard and optional) that MB will offer on the B-Class.

Originally Posted by Blackraven
@Joeb427

@spwolf and DustinV
We don't have the Micra.
Old 03-09-12, 06:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

A-class is A3/CT200h competitor for those that didnt get that from the pics... and B class is like Mazda5 or Prius v, just premium