Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 BMW 335i: 0 to 60 = 4.7 sec

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-12, 12:12 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great numbers, new 3 series looks better too.
Old 03-01-12, 12:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
How's that work? It weighs the same as the E9X and puts up better handling numbers. I can't comment on the steering as I haven't driven an F30 yet.

Besides 0-60 times, (which is silly my E92 does ~70mph in 2nd gear alone) the surprising thing is the 1/4 mile is a 13.3 at 104 from an AUTO. AND it gets 33mpg on the highway. Is Lexus and Infiniti paying attention here?

I can't wait to see the DCT

Sorry, I understand you like the GS, and I'm not wanting to be mean here, but you're wrong. Even though they are different classes of cars and the 335 is much newer, the GS430 is outclassed in ALL performance metrics. The 335 makes more power, has a better transmission, better suspension, better brakes, better handling, gets better mileage, has a lower CO2 rating, and I think it weighs a bit less too.

Mid-range nothing, the 335 will walk a GS430 stock for stock no contest and in ANY part of the power-band. The 335 makes 300ft-lbs of torque at 1600 rpms and will dyno 270whp bone stock. (Gs430s are happy to make 230-240 at best).
you sure your post was directed at me?! i said car to car gs430 is going to lose, not even close

when i said gs430 going to shine in mid range, i mainly tried to say it has a v8, but i didn't say it's going to walk away
Old 03-01-12, 02:58 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

8 speed auto, no wonder its getting 23/33
Old 03-01-12, 04:36 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a little confused on the 23/33 mpg number. Is that for the 335 or the 328? The article states a 25-34 mpg range but doesn't specify the model but later mentions the 23/33 in reference to the test car. Are they saying the 328 only gets 1mpg better? That's pretty sad if that truly is the case. Kind of defeats the purpose of a car with a smaller engine. I guess the same can be said about the IS250 vs 350 with only a 2-3 mpg difference.
Old 03-01-12, 05:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
I'm missing the better handling numbers. Looks pretty identical to me. Very respectable, especially considering it's a Lexus (nicer on the inside IMO and is more reliable). Not world-beating though. Car will be over $50k too. Yikes.
yikes... it gets better numbers despite it being one size larger vehicle. Whats there not to like? It gets a LOT better handling numbers than a lot more expensive 5 series too. And yes, it is a Lexus.
Old 03-01-12, 09:19 PM
LexFather

I'm really not like OMG about the time b/c the 2006 IS did 0-60 in 4.9 seconds. So this is a tick or two faster according to one report.

What is impressive is the MPG increase as well. That has to be highly commended. More performance and more MPG is a great win/win!

Old 03-01-12, 09:31 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm really not like OMG about the time b/c the 2006 IS did 0-60 in 4.9 seconds. So this is a tick or two faster according to one report.

What is impressive is the MPG increase as well. That has to be highly commended. More performance and more MPG is a great win/win!
The official 0-60 time according to bmwusa.com for the new 335 is 5.4 seconds. This is right on par with GS, IS, and most any of its competitors. This is more or less how it will perform under normal conditions with an average driver.

Any car can get better acceleration times if the conditions are favorable and with a good driver that knows how to launch the car. The OP said GS350 is slow compared to the 335, but thats just simply not true, they are in the same ballpark, and in hot weather I would actually put my money on the GS, because NA engines are a lot more consistent.

And the whole 23/33mpg is pure nonsense. So far my wife's 335 averaged 12.ish in 14k-ish miles.
Old 03-01-12, 09:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The official 0-60 time according to bmwusa.com for the new 335 is 5.4 seconds. This is right on par with GS, IS, and most any of its competitors. This is more or less how it will perform under normal conditions with an average driver.

Any car can get better acceleration times if the conditions are favorable and with a good driver that knows how to launch the car. The OP said GS350 is slow compared to the 335, but thats just simply not true, they are in the same ballpark, and in hot weather I would actually put my money on the GS, because NA engines are a lot more consistent.

And the whole 23/33mpg is pure nonsense. So far my wife's 335 averaged 12.ish in 14k-ish miles.
heh :-).

Lexus will make heads spin really hard when new IS comes out, as lighter and smaller GS, it should handle and go even faster.

I just got IS, and I drove it in the city so far only but i am surprised how better it handles than my 3GS AWD. It is rock steady.
Old 03-01-12, 10:47 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

If the GS350 F-sport can handle so well and keep up with the latest and greatest BMW 335i M-sport, the M5 should be peeing its pants in fear waiting for the new GSF.

Watch out M5, the new big dog is coming and its name is GSF.
Old 03-02-12, 06:30 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
If the GS350 F-sport can handle so well and keep up with the latest and greatest BMW 335i M-sport, the M5 should be peeing its pants in fear waiting for the new GSF.

The M5 will still be more popular than a GS-F.
I think the only way you'll see a GS-F is if the GS350 is a hit.Sales may be strong now but you have to see if the model sales become that of the last generation GS after the first one on the block purchases die down.
I saw the GS,sat in it and I may be in the minority right now but I'm not a fan.
Old 03-02-12, 09:16 AM
Ap1_Alan
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The M5 will still be more popular than a GS-F.
I think the only way you'll see a GS-F is if the GS350 is a hit.Sales may be strong now but you have to see if the model sales become that of the last generation GS after the first one on the block purchases die down.
I saw the GS,sat in it and I may be in the minority right now but I'm not a fan.
^ I'm with you. The new GS just doesn't do it for me.

Also, has anyone else noticed how big the BMW's are getting? The 3 series wheel base is only 2" shorter than the GS. The 5 series wheelbase is about 4.5" longer than the GS.

I'm 6'3"-6'4", i sat in a new 3 series and felt like i had more room than in my 3GS
Old 03-02-12, 09:52 AM
natnut
Pole Position

That will be the Achilles heel of the M-cars. BMW has made the strategic mistake of making their base cars so heavy.This penalizes the M-cars in terms of handling no matter how BMW bumps up the hp.BMW M is in danger of becoming the next AMG : fast in a straight line only.

That has left the opportunity for competitors like Lexus to come in and steal the handling crown with the next ISF/GSF. Without handling, what makes M unique? You want monster torque - AMG has that. You want wet weather capability, RS has that.

You want light and agile and tossable, you want an overweight M5/3???? If GSF/ISF undercuts M5/M3 on weight like the new GS undercuts the F10 5 series, M3/M5 is in serious doodoo and better pray that driving enthusiasts are too blinded by the Roundel badge to realize that BMW allowed a cheaper, more reliable competitor to undercut it on corner carving capability.
Old 03-02-12, 09:55 AM
LexFather

Well I think a few of us saw this coming as cars are kind of blending in and going toward that medium between sport/luxury. The luxury slanted brands have gone sportier and the sportier slanted brands have gone with more luxury.

We all know the 3 will still be a great car I just hope people recognize that times are changing and Lexus produces cars on par/better in regards to sport in some situations. Audi is another luxury brand that has gotten praise for better handling cars as Mercedes.

Old 03-03-12, 10:58 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut

This is a funny post! I love Lexus but they are nowhere close to BMW M or MB AMG. lol
I dont think they even compete in the mainstream models well.

Right now they are like Cadillac with only ONE F model - IS F. Please don't mention the LFA.

When Lexus has a full LINEUP of F models then we can talk........They dropped the damn V8 option for crying out loud. Right now a GS F is a dream and I honestly dont see it coming anytime soon. New GS has a carryover V6 and a 6speed auto and horrible wheel gap.

Before Lexus can build F variants, they should build a full lineup of mainstream cars.
Where is there a coupe to compete with 3series /C class or 6 Series or SL or SLK or Z4?????
How about competition for CLS and new 6 Series grandcoupe? Those are exciting products that create BUZZ for a brand and get people hooked.

Lexus is a great company but they have lost customers like myself bec they are very conservative and move slow to change. I have been waiting for a TRUE sports package on the GS since 1998, so it took them 15 YEARS to listen.
Old 03-03-12, 11:38 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
GS has a carryover V6 and a 6speed auto and horrible wheel gap.
That is the terrifying thing for BMW isn't it?

The brand new F30 335i M-sport is 300 pounds lighter, is 1 full-class size smaller, has the new 8 speed auto yet will lose to the 2013 GS350, with its 7 year old engine/powertrain and its 6 speed transmission, in terms of handling/braking and just barely keep up with it on the Motortrend Figure 8 Slalom course.

If Lexus bothers to even carry over some of the LFA/ISF tech into the GSF, the M3/5 with their new weight penalties is in for a miserable time in magazine comparos and on the test-track.

EDIT : My mistake, I thought the F30 335i had the 35is engine.

Last edited by natnut; 03-03-12 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply: 2012 BMW 335i: 0 to 60 = 4.7 sec