Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

10 Most Useless Car Technologies

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-12, 12:39 AM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Cressida had the automatic shoulder belts (the Cressida was the first mass produced car to have them) and I didn't mind them at all, and I always used my lap belt. My grandpa loved the belts, too.
Old 02-27-12, 02:15 AM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I especially agree with the turning headlights. Most of the automatic headlights I've seen have pretty mediocre light output. Why not just put a better projector inside instead of dealing with all the mechanical nonsense.

As a California driver, I'll say we don't ever actually NEED gloves for driving. So the supposed "uselessness" of a capacitive touchscreen is rendered moot IMO. Capacitive touchscreens have much better responsiveness to the touch than a resistive touchscreen. That's one of the main reasons I haven't bought a touchscreen navigation unit. The only benefit resistive screens have over capacitive is they're better with a stylus. Which you won't be using in a car. Oh, and resistive is a cheaper technology. Not exactly something I want to see in a car.
Old 02-27-12, 05:24 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I disagree with numerous items on that list. Most luxury cars HAVE those items in it!
Old 02-27-12, 05:40 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by L3XOTIC
I disagree with numerous items on that list. Most luxury cars HAVE those items in it!
Well, actually, features in luxury cars are a want to have, rather than a need to have item....so....it's not far off. Most vehicular neccessities are available on your non-luxury brands for a low price. As you start spending money on expensive brands, you're getting more superficial or non-essential features......fun to have, but not a neccessity.
Old 02-29-12, 06:31 AM
LexFather

Seems like a rant by someone that doesn't know much about cars or technology lol

Old 02-29-12, 01:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by L3XOTIC
Well, that's the point. A lot of electronic features in today's luxury-cars end up doing more of a job distracting or confusing the driver than they actually contribute to convienience or safe driving.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Seems like a rant by someone that doesn't know much about cars or technology lol
Unfortunately, He's correct about at least some of them. I wouldn't consider it just a mindless rant.
Old 03-01-12, 03:27 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
My Cressida had the automatic shoulder belts (the Cressida was the first mass produced car to have them) and I didn't mind them at all, and I always used my lap belt. My grandpa loved the belts, too.
My 85 maxima had it too and I miss it

I love the rain-sensing wipers
Old 03-01-12, 03:33 PM
neojungle1
Lexus Test Driver

Both my maxima and 240sx
I enjoy it very much ..... I dislike the door chime that I found annoying
Old 03-01-12, 04:22 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm surprised that Blind spot monitoring and Lane departure didnt get on the list.
Old 03-01-12, 05:19 PM
neojungle1
Lexus Test Driver

It should have what's next to go with that omfg under pants when that fails to work right come on drivers that stupid not to look back at there blind spot
Old 03-01-12, 05:31 PM
dsp979
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still not a fan of electronic throttles despite their supposed aid in fuel efficiency and what not.

My Maximas and 240SXs had the automatic seatbelts and didn't like them either. So much so that I switched the seatbelts in my current 240SX to manual seatbelts.

Disagree with the maplights. I actually like those -- and I still use maps. =)
Old 03-01-12, 07:22 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Automatic seatbelts. Woohoo! Had those on my mom's Mazda back in the day. Sometimes she would be getting out of the car while turning off the engine and get her head caught as the belt retracted. Hilarity ensued!

Maplights, still necessary, outdated nomenclature. There are things not on the list that should be there. What happened to just good driving skills? Blind spot notification, self parking, self braking... just take a cab then.