Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Says "No" To Entry Level Cars

Old 02-24-12, 02:54 PM
John Coyle
CL Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus Says "No" To Entry Level Cars

Read it here: Lexus Says "No" To Entry Level Cars

If you were thinking about holding out on buying a Lexus until they produce more cars like the Ct 200h, you're out of luck. Their chief of marketing has stated they have no plans to make entry-level cars. Instead they're going to focus on other project's, like the new GS.

This is fine and all, but I can't help but feel like this means they're simply not going to make small cars. I can understand keeping the prices up, but why not a have a luxurious small car? Hell, stretch the FR-S platform and call it the SC 200. That would at least round out their bottom rung without pandering to the slovenly masses who can't afford an IS.

Anyway, I'm climbing off my soapbox. What do you all think?
Old 02-24-12, 03:11 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree with them.. Its Luxury, which means no entry level. Plenty of entry level makers out there, Honda, nissan, Toyota so why should Lexus waste their time on Entry while they can perfect their "Upper Line" Its a Lexus.. Even BMW 1 Series cost $40K (adequately equipped).
Old 02-24-12, 03:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

i never understand cars like 1 series or a/b class anyway. it's luxury market, not main stream. if price is a factor, look at cars like toyota. in my eyes, IS and ES are somewhat entry level luxury already. i don't know what lexus means by "entry level", but ct200h is very much an entry level luxury to me, and that's probably the limit in my eyes
Old 02-24-12, 03:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i never understand cars like 1 series or a/b class anyway.
you obviously haven't done much parking in european cities.
Old 02-24-12, 03:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you obviously haven't done much parking in european cities.
sorry but i am solely talking about US market, nothing more than that

i don't even have to know about european cities, because i am from hong kong and it's nothing different than european cities

Last edited by rominl; 02-24-12 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-24-12, 03:55 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i never understand cars like 1 series or a/b class anyway. it's luxury market, not main stream. if price is a factor, look at cars like toyota. in my eyes, IS and ES are somewhat entry level luxury already. i don't know what lexus means by "entry level", but ct200h is very much an entry level luxury to me, and that's probably the limit in my eyes
Well said. I think the IS and ES fit the bill of luxury but there is no reason to make a Lexus equivalent of the 1 series or A class. I think for the German makes it sort of works but Lexus would be stepping into Toyota's turf with a car like that.
Old 02-24-12, 03:55 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the US, I agree. But if they mean it globally then I think it's pretty short-sighted if they truly intend to compete in Europe. New "entry-level cars" doesn't necessarily have to be all-new models like the CT, but simply lower-end engine options to their existing models. They need to have something to compete with the likes of the hugely popular 316d, E200 CDI, etc.
Old 02-24-12, 04:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
In the US, I agree. But if they mean it globally then I think it's pretty short-sighted if they truly intend to compete in Europe. New "entry-level cars" doesn't necessarily have to be all-new models like the CT, but simply lower-end engine options to their existing models. They need to have something to compete with the likes of the hugely popular 316d, E200 CDI, etc.
what he meant was that in the US, they dont need cars under 30k. And they dont.
Old 02-24-12, 04:24 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
what he meant was that in the US, they dont need cars under 30k. And they dont.
But with Lexus's whole strategy now being devised from its US operations, I'm afraid that they will continue to ignore the real needs of the European market.
Old 02-24-12, 05:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

But with Lexus's whole strategy now being devised from its US operations, I'm afraid that they will continue to ignore the real needs of the European market.
i dont think so - CT200h was made not-for-usa markets, and baby RX will be so as well. I wish they offer ES300h in Europe as well.

What is really needed in Europe is smaller hybrids... RX450h and GS450h are way too expensive. Lets home GS300h, RX300h and others, are close behind. Because that same strategy will work in Asia/China/Japan as well.
Old 02-25-12, 09:49 PM
10GS460
Driver School Candidate

I agree, this will make Lexus a more exclusive vehicle.
Old 02-25-12, 10:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

you must have missed their recent comments about focusing on the asia market now. (seriously)
Old 02-26-12, 04:57 PM
LexFather

The success of the CT shows that Lexus could straddle the line between entry level luxury and luxury like never before. I completely agree that should be the entry level model and nothing below that. The Germans going below the CT is clearly due to needing more volume and getting people in the brand earlier than ever before as well as fighting fuel prices etc.

Lexus really needs to start offering some higher end cars like a 4 door coupe, the SC again, a GS coupe, a baby LFA, a LS coupe etc etc to diversify sales and increase brand prestige. If you look at Mercedes for instance they continue to offer tons of small selling niche products while expanding down.

Old 02-26-12, 05:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The success of the CT shows that Lexus could straddle the line between entry level luxury and luxury like never before. I completely agree that should be the entry level model and nothing below that. The Germans going below the CT is clearly due to needing more volume and getting people in the brand earlier than ever before as well as fighting fuel prices etc.

Lexus really needs to start offering some higher end cars like a 4 door coupe, the SC again, a GS coupe, a baby LFA, a LS coupe etc etc to diversify sales and increase brand prestige. If you look at Mercedes for instance they continue to offer tons of small selling niche products while expanding down.
my sentiments exactly
Old 02-26-12, 06:19 PM
jtamulis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like that Lexus isn't selling lower-end cars. I meant, if you want something below an ES300, get a Camry, they
would be just taking sales from Toyota right?

Lexus=High end
Toyota=wide range
Scion=cheaper entry level cars.

They could just do a Scion with nice leather interior as an option, and the build quality is still Toyota 8-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus Says "No" To Entry Level Cars